The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #76
Xeen

Re: Project 69SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69swb View Post
Thanks for the tip. I've got the angle grinder and several different grits of flap disc.. but I DO NOT want to go over the entire cab with them. :-) My garage is pretty dry... So I'm hoping I'll be fine... after I spray the epoxy all I want to do is lay build primer on top of it.
LOL you wont have to remove the epoxy on the entire surface of the truck after you lay it down initialy, you will be doing spot repair which you can just respray after you fix the area, and the poly carbonite disks will rip the epoxy off in literally seconds in the area you are going to be repairing, then you can respray it as you finish, after you have completed all your repairs you can go back and scuff it all which is the right way to do it anyway.
You can do what ever you want im just telling you the right way to do it and thats all I can do.

Last edited by Xeen; 12-12-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #77
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
LOL you wont have to remove the epoxy on the entire surface of the truck after you lay it down initialy, you will be doing spot repair which you can just respray after you fix the area, and the poly carbonite disks will rip the epoxy off in literally seconds in the area you are going to be repairing, then you can respray it as you finish, after you have completed all your repairs you can go back and scuff it all which is the right way to do it anyway.
You can do what ever you want im just telling you the right way to do it and thats all I can do.
I thought you was telling me to use the flap wheels to scratch up the epoxy. LOL, which I could just do with a scotch brite pad. My main reason for waiting besides not wanting to have to scuff the whole cab, is because I want to get the chemical bond between the two primers, if I wait and the lay the epoxy I can then follow up with poly the next day, but if I let the epoxy cure while I'm doing the metal
and then just scuff it up.. I won't ever get that chemical bond between the two.. or is that not correct?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #78
Bennett68C10

Just caught up on your build, nice progress your making. Love the black and green color scheme.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #79
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L View Post
Just caught up on your build, nice progress your making. Love the black and green color scheme.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! I'm not going to get too wild with the black and green, what you seen is probably going to be it. The truck itself I am painting black, but may do some sort of two tone incorporating a very small amount of green... not really sure. It's a work in progress.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #80
~Whitey~

Had to take a detour and build a table to set the cab on so I could work on it easier. I'll use this for the bed and other stuff to I'm sure. It's just 4'x4'x2'ish tall with the wheels and I used studs, put it together with a nailgun and then went back put screws in everything. it's good and sturdy.
Attached Images

Last edited by ~Whitey~; 12-18-2012 at 01:41 PM.
~Whitey~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #81
~Whitey~

I got the rocker cut off for the most part.. It was welded on with so many booger welds in all kinds of places and a real pain. I'll be replacing the rear bottom piece on pillar, the rocker since I had to cut it off, part of the floor at the front pillar, the front pillar will also get replaced, and most likely the inner rocker. I braced the pillar before I cut it from the floor and will do the same to the front before I replace it. Not sure about the drivers side just yet... one thing at a time is all I can do. ;-)
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #82
67cheby
67cheby

nice cab cart !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #83
RWB-713

A hard learned piece of advice: If you have to cut the rear cab floor corner:

A. Get the patch panels before you cut, and decide if just the side panel will get it done, or if you need the rear panel too ( I'm going off what LMC sells, which is what I used, but I think most are similar)

B. Make sure to check and see how those two patch panels mate as far the alignment of the jack "dimple". Mine weren't quite straight and i had to do some work to get that dimple to be "close enough"

C. If you have to use both panels, cut & spot the rear (when i say rear i mean the piece that would be parrallel with the back cab wall) on first! it's a challenge to do the side first, and then cut the rear to fit.

glad to see your makin headway! I just got the passenger side of mine back together last weekend minus the cab corner, and was decently happy with how it's turned out, now waitin on a cab corner to get here so i can out that on ( I measured once... not twice. made an oops. )
RWB-713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #84
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
nice cab cart !
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB-713 View Post
A hard learned piece of advice: If you have to cut the rear cab floor corner:

A. Get the patch panels before you cut, and decide if just the side panel will get it done, or if you need the rear panel too ( I'm going off what LMC sells, which is what I used, but I think most are similar)

B. Make sure to check and see how those two patch panels mate as far the alignment of the jack "dimple". Mine weren't quite straight and i had to do some work to get that dimple to be "close enough"

C. If you have to use both panels, cut & spot the rear (when i say rear i mean the piece that would be parrallel with the back cab wall) on first! it's a challenge to do the side first, and then cut the rear to fit.

glad to see your makin headway! I just got the passenger side of mine back together last weekend minus the cab corner, and was decently happy with how it's turned out, now waitin on a cab corner to get here so i can out that on ( I measured once... not twice. made an oops. )
That sounds like some great advice. I'm entering into uncharted territory here... just going slow and trying to think things through so I don't screw up my cab. I figured I will get everything tacked in and then hang a door to make sure my gaps look good.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #85
RWB-713

Quote:
That sounds like some great advice. I'm entering into uncharted territory here... just going slow and trying to think things through so I don't screw up my cab. I figured I will get everything tacked in and then hang a door to make sure my gaps look good.
That's how I did it too, just tacked the rockers & pillars together and then hung a door. Almost found a huge problem with my doors, but it turns out I was overlooking that the door hinges adjust on both the door side, and the cab side. Tryin to get it to line up with only the cab adjustment wasn't going well. I still have a little repair to do on the door, but the gaps all came out very nice I thought, expecially considering how much i had to replace, and that it's my first time doing this.

I as well, like your table/dolly.. I see me having numerous uses for one of those in the near future. Especially since I think i'm about to have to clean out part of my shop to make room for some newq parts and some new equipment
RWB-713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #86
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB-713 View Post
That's how I did it too, just tacked the rockers & pillars together and then hung a door. Almost found a huge problem with my doors, but it turns out I was overlooking that the door hinges adjust on both the door side, and the cab side. Tryin to get it to line up with only the cab adjustment wasn't going well. I still have a little repair to do on the door, but the gaps all came out very nice I thought, expecially considering how much i had to replace, and that it's my first time doing this.

I as well, like your table/dolly.. I see me having numerous uses for one of those in the near future. Especially since I think i'm about to have to clean out part of my shop to make room for some newq parts and some new equipment
Thanks RWB-713.. I didn't know either that the doors were adjustable on both sides. That will definitely help with hanging them and making the gaps perfect.

I got a little done this week. I got the rear pillar repaired and had to do part of the inner rocker on the rear as well.. Made sure to clean out the support and spray it with some rust convertor, then moved on the the front pillar.

I bought the rear pillar, front pillar, kick panel and passenger side front floor peice from LMC. Everything fits great but the front floor piece. It's a total wash and waste of money on that... I don't see how it could fit without just absolutely boogering it in there. The bends are not correct, nothing lines up.. I've hammered on it, cut on it, cussed at it a few times :-) and I just don't see how without massive modifications to make it fit. I'm going to fabricate my own piece for that part of the floor and inner rocker, that what I'm working on now. here's a few pics of where I am.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #87
~Whitey~

Also picked up my wheels, but still need to get tires. Went with Polished AR TT's 17x9.5's for the back and 17x8's for the front. Thank to lolife99 for helping me with that.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #88
67cheby
67cheby

SWEET, those will look great !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #89
Bennett68C10

Nice wheels, one of my favorites
Posted via Mobile Device

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #90
gearys 5600

Quote:
Also picked up my wheels, but still need to get tires. Went with Polished AR TT's 17x9.5's for the back and 17x8's for the front. Thank to lolife99 for helping me with that.

Hard to beat the AR TT's ... I love em!

1969 custom/10 swb--SOLD
1968 swb 50th anniv.--SOLD
1967 camaro ss/rs..LS-6-speed, 16-year long project
1956 chevy nomad
1955 chevy 210 2-dr sedan
1978 el-camino ss 1-owner
gearys 5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #91
jmking9

Hey, Im the guy that bought your trim. I just found your build thread and all I can say is, wow you have been busy. You have made tons of progress since I saw your truck. It's looking GREAT!! I Just got my cab rust repair done, so I know your pain right now. Anyway, keep up the good work and Ill be following your build. -Jonathan
Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #92
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
SWEET, those will look great !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L View Post
Nice wheels, one of my favorites
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearys 5600 View Post
Hard to beat the AR TT's ... I love em!
Thanks all.. I've been eyeballing these and the Raceline Strikers for a while; couldn't afford the Strikers, yet I don't feel like I settled at all with these.. Love them, they do look alot better in person than online. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
Hey, Im the guy that bought your trim. I just found your build thread and all I can say is, wow you have been busy. You have made tons of progress since I saw your truck. It's looking GREAT!! I Just got my cab rust repair done, so I know your pain right now. Anyway, keep up the good work and Ill be following your build. -Jonathan
Hey Jonathan! I still have your number plugged in my phone.. Almost called you a couple times when I was doing the disc brake conversion, but I managed with a little patience and some crawling/reading around on this forum. I have been busy for sure and I'm going to get this cab lined out if it's the last thing I do. Do you have that trim hung yet?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #93
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Truck is looking great man, cant wait to see the finished metal work!

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #94
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
Truck is looking great man, cant wait to see the finished metal work!
Hey thanks bud.. I can't wait to FINISH the metal work!

I like that quote in your signature about the crossthread being better than loctite. haha
Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #95
jmking9

Hey Jonathan! I still have your number plugged in my phone.. Almost called you a couple times when I was doing the disc brake conversion, but I managed with a little patience and some crawling/reading around on this forum. I have been busy for sure and I'm going to get this cab lined out if it's the last thing I do. Do you have that trim hung yet?[/QUOTE]

I stripped the paint/anodizing, fixed a few dings, re-polished, and re-painted/cleared them. They look awesome and are ready to go on when i get it painted.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #96
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
I stripped the paint/anodizing, fixed a few dings, re-polished, and re-painted/cleared them. They look awesome and are ready to go on when i get it painted.
Sweet! Those cleaned up super nice. Be sure and share some pics when you get it done.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #97
~Whitey~

Finally had some time to get back to working on the Cab.. Lot's of cutting, lots of grinding. Couldn't get the front passenger floor peice from LMC to fit correctly so I had to cut pieces and lay them in one at a time. I did use part of it though
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #98
~Whitey~

When I got to the front pillar I laid the old piece over the top and drill the holes so it would line back up correctly. Anywhere I need to seem the pieces together I just drilled a small hole all the way through and filled it in with the mig. I also opened up the floor over the support and fixed a little rust problem there, then coated it all real good with RustFix
Attached Images

Last edited by ~Whitey~; 01-09-2013 at 01:49 PM.
~Whitey~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #99
~Whitey~

Next I have to cut a section from my donor truck for the cab corners, glad I warmed up on this other stuff first... It's going to be interesting.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #100
~Whitey~

Not quite ready for the rockers yet, but I did just get them in the mail today so I just laid them in to see how they would fit. They fit like a glove and are made very well. These are from LMC... Everything I bought as far as CAB repair pieces from LMC has been great, the front and rear pillars, kick panel, and rockers have been great. The exception is the front floor repair panel... I really had to slice and dice it and only end up using small pieces of it. I have Cab corners coming should be here in the next couple days.
Attached Images