The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2020, 10:46 PM   #1
mikelcobb0@gmail.com

Electric steering

Anyone have experience with electric steering or geared assist? Need to move away from manual steering on my 67 C30.
mikelcobb0@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:05 PM   #2
Willys_MB

Re: Electric steering

Why not dimple the frame and put power steering on it? I just put PS on my truck and I’ll never go back. There are plenty of threads on this board about how to do it.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:55 PM   #3
franken

To be er, kind, why buy an old vehicle, then convert it to what it isn't?
Sell it and buy a Prius.
Or, learn to drive manual steering (different technique), lube the parts and enjoy...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:05 AM   #4
gmc684x4

I would dimple the frame to use a standard ps box you can also look at power rack and pinion options as well
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:30 AM   #5
Willys_MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Sell it and buy a Prius.
Or, learn to drive manual steering (different technique), lube the parts and enjoy...
To some people, driving their truck is more about having a good time riding around town rather than sweating and having a hard time pulling into/out of a parking spot. If I was doing a restoration I wouldn’t have installed power steering, but I’d rather be able to hop in my truck and go for a ride. As someone on the forum once posted, the only reason no to install power steering is if you don’t want other people to drive your truck. After I installed power steering my wife has driven the truck, which I thought was really neat because maybe she’d start to understand why I spend so much time working on it (no luck)
Old 10-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #6
Sheepdip

My brother put Electric PS on his 61 Corvette it was quite pricey and a lot of work as you have to cut, modify reweld the column. Everything fit up under the dash out of sight.

It works but I would do as others say and dimple the frame for the factory system if you really want PS.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:02 AM   #7
AU Doc

Seems like I've seen someone offering a kit for electric power steering for C10s. Not sure about the C30. I've seen a thread on another forum where someone did this swap with a Cougar, and they seemed to really like the way it performs.

It would be interesting to see it done and get some feedback on how well it works in these trucks and under what conditions. So it really comes down to whether you're looking for the easiest way to get easier steering, or if you're wanting to try something new. Either way, it's your truck, so do what makes you happy.
AU Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:27 AM   #8
68 P.O.S.

You could also find and install a 67-68 power assist system as well. You won't have to dimple the frame either, not that it's a big deal
Old 10-28-2020, 10:28 AM   #9
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Sell it and buy a Prius.
I'm putting ps on my stepper . Dont know how old you are but after driving around town and parking a few times my shoulders hurt truck has bias ply 17 mud tires on it .And I've been driving manual steering for 45 plus years even have driven mechanical brake cars .

And to be "kind" it's his truck and can do what he wants to it ,so your comments aren't necessary.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #10
Willys_MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
You could also find and install a 67-68 power assist system as well. You won't have to dimple the frame either, not that it's a big deal
This isn't a bad idea. I don't have experience with the ram assist system, but I think these systems are harder to find and aren't as readily available as the PS system. You can pull a PS system out of a squarebody in a junk yard and rebuild it yourself. I found a donor 71 frame and grabbed the whole front end (disc brakes, power steering, front crossmember, etc.) for $300 then rebuilt everything. I haven't looked back
Old 10-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #11
68 P.O.S.

Correct, they're not as plentiful as the later systems. They were used in a lot of different vehicles so they're still out there and not too hard to find. I would use one just to be different than everyone else.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:44 AM   #12
mikelcobb0@gmail.com

Thanks for all the responses that have objective information. I appreciate those that see a different way of doing something. I now have some information with which to make an objective decision and a plan to have some fun tinkering with my truck. The technology is available why not use it. I do appreciate "The Ride" of an older truck and plan to maintain it.

The opinions of others are considered but the Prius comment was way out of line and insulting.

Any other objective information is still appreciated.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:20 PM   #13
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelcobb0@gmail.com View Post
Thanks for all the responses that have objective information. I appreciate those that see a different way of doing something. I now have some information with which to make an objective decision and a plan to have some fun tinkering with my truck. The technology is available why not use it. I do appreciate "The Ride" of an older truck and plan to maintain it.

The opinions of others are considered but the Prius comment was way out of line and insulting.

Any other objective information is still appreciated.
I wouldn't bother unless I was converting the the vehicle to electric. Do a search on "Electric Variable Assist Power steering". You need something like a tone ring at minimum so you can get more assist in a parking lot and less assist on the highway. It's my understanding that new vehicles with electric assist take in a multitude of inputs. If you go through the install, it can work great, if and only if you give the the proper inputs for the system.

j
Old 10-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #14
LS short box

I may be all wet but I think over on LS1tech.com or Pro Touring.com they use a Volvo? electric power steering pump to provide pressure to the power steering box. Don't have any details other than that. Might be worth a search.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:30 PM   #15
mikelcobb0@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
Hi 68, Tell me more about power assist. Any sites to refer?

Actually I'm quite sure the dimple is there on the frame.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:12 PM   #16
67 twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys_MB View Post
To some people, driving their truck is more about having a good time riding around town rather than sweating and having a hard time pulling into/out of a parking spot.
Really? My mother's 66 Chevy Biscayne had no power steering or power brakes. I never saw her struggle to park it wherever she needed and she was maybe 5ft 2in. If you are sweating from it that's just poor technique.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:22 AM   #17
franken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
And to be "kind" it's his truck and can do what he wants to it ,so your comments aren't necessary.
Yes, it's his/her truck and they can do whatever they want. I offered a different opinion--something often frowned upon today, but badly needed.
My comments, your comments, all other comments, as well as the original post are unnecessary. Was there a point to your comment? My point was learn to drive manual steering and it's fine. It isn't the same as PS.
Or, more succinctly, lighten up Francis...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:06 AM   #18
chewychevy67

Quote:
Hi 68, Tell me more about power assist. Any sites to refer?

Actually I'm quite sure the dimple is there on the frame.
Power assist uses this set up. Lots of models used this in the early 60s and every version has specific mounting brackets and hose lengths.
Attached Images

chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:03 AM   #19
gmc684x4

Here is a thread about how to ps box dimple

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=365817
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #20
67/Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc684x4 View Post
Here is a thread about how to ps box dimple

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=365817
I have a 67, running a CPP steering box for that year that does not require either spacers or dimpling as long as the frame has the raised bolt hubs towards the gearbox side.
Attached Images

Last edited by 67/Heaven; 10-29-2020 at 09:59 AM.
67/Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #21
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Yes, it's his/her truck and they can do whatever they want. I offered a different opinion--something often frowned upon today, but badly needed.
My comments, your comments, all other comments, as well as the original post are unnecessary. Was there a point to your comment? My point was learn to drive manual steering and it's fine. It isn't the same as PS.
Or, more succinctly, lighten up Francis...
From the guy who tells him to sell it and buy a Prius.

But back to the OP there are plenty of aftermarket systems . I personally dont like the feel of the ram type ps . 3 of my cars have this type and they are ok but tend to leak
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #22
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
Really? My mother's 66 Chevy Biscayne had no power steering or power brakes. I never saw her struggle to park it wherever she needed and she was maybe 5ft 2in. If you are sweating from it that's just poor technique.
I dont know why but 66 Chevelle has manual steering and it very easy to turn compared to my truck. Maybe geometry of the steering to suspension . It also has radials so that probably helps a bit
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #23
AU Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
I dont know why but 66 Chevelle has manual steering and it very easy to turn compared to my truck. Maybe geometry of the steering to suspension . It also has radials so that probably helps a bit
I think you're on the right track there. My limited experience tells me that with factory geometry (ride height, track width, etc.), factory tire type and size, factory steering wheel diameter, good maintenance, and so on, manual systems are easy to use under normal circumstances. But changing anything from factory can have a significant impact on steering effort.

For my part, even under the best circumstances, manual boxes are just no fun to drive if for no other reason than they're too many turns lock to lock. But everybody has different expectations for their trucks, so YMMV.
AU Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:41 PM   #24
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Anyone have experience with electric steering or geared assist? Need to move away from manual steering on my 67 C30.
Are you looking to do drive by wire, or having an electric motor powered pump supply the steering pump, or using an electric assisted rack and pinion?
You may be interested in the link below.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/ele...-does-it-work/
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 10-29-2020 at 02:46 PM.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #25
mikelcobb0@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Are you looking to do drive by wire, or having an electric motor powered pump supply the steering pump, or using an electric assisted rack and pinion?
You may be interested in the link below.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/ele...-does-it-work/
Thanks HO,
The link was good.
I did not consider the "feel" aspect that is lost unless a complex system is put in place.

I would also consider steer by wire but kinda suspect it would not be in my realm of possibilities. Infinity, Lincoln and others have "kits" but hard to find good info on what pertains to my reality. A TRUCK!

Thanks