The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
GMCNUT

a GREEN 283 V8?

Hey guys; as most of you know I am restoring a 61 Apache to "correct" original specs, but unlike 64-66 years where the engine colors are easy to find in the owners guide, I have been struggling to find out for certainty what color the factory 283 engine was supposed to be in 1961 specifcally. Chevy was bad about changing up engine colors on truck motors in the 50's and early 60's so we all know the 283 was dark Grey most of the later 60's years and the 66 327 and 292 6 cyl were the only ones that were ever green but I saw the attached picture in an ad for a NOS GM 1961 pickup truck 283 V8 intake manifold and the 2nd picture is of an untouched 1961 283 V8 still in service .....holy crap - both are green! Are you kidding me? Green? Does anybody have any evidence to the contrary for 60 or 61 283 V8's?

I am not sure how crazy I am about this green if it is right. Maybe I will warm up to it after I see it a few days.....I know I can paint it whatever I want, but I went through a lot of un-necessary pain and added expense already picking up rare NOS 1961 specific armrests & NOS sunvisors because they are a 1 yr only bluish silver that is unique to 1961 only and of course, not reproduced and I have bought other GM NOS stuff where I could have just bough aftermarket or altered parts to work. So I have gone this far now, and pretty much need to finish this as right as its supposed to be, which is why its important that I paint this engine the exact right color as per what is recognized as being correct by my self and any GM historians among you.

So if any one of you can produce a shred of physical evidence or GM literature to the contrary of these attached pictures please do or I will go forward with the belief that Green is indeed correct for a 1961 283 V8 truck motor. The only other thing that I have considered is that 2 ton trucks could have used Green where 1/2 ton's did not....not pics or documentation to back up any such claim if so. Help?

Thanks!
Attached Images

GMCNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
factorystock

Re: a GREEN 283 V8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
The only other thing that I have considered is that 2 ton trucks could have used Green where 1/2 ton's did not..
Very important consideration. You have discovered the 283 "Taskmaster V8" This was the heavy duty version of the 283 in 1961. Used as an option in C and L 60 series. The standard 283 was known as the" Trademaster V8" used as an option in 10-50 series. Chevy painted their engines different colors so truck mechanics knew what they were working on. So the Trademaster 283 would be dark gray and the heavy duty Taskmaster would be green. This makes sense since the 283 Taskmaster was replaced with the 327 in 1962 in larger trucks and this engine was green as well.Photo shows indentical specs, but difference lies in lower compression, heavier duty valves and better M400 bearings.
Attached Images

factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
jocko

Amazing! Learn something new every day. Paint it orange! Just kidding, kinda like it. But it's clearly not original, so orange might be ok... (I like orange) - or any original Chev truck engine color (gray, blue, etc) It does look right at home as green though. Might repaint it that way and it will make a conversation piece.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
ABX131

Looks very similar to the colors Pontiac used....they used both the blueish green in the 70's in the photo in the left and the other green in the photo in the right in the 60's.
ABX131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
GMCNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
Very important consideration. You have discovered the 283 "Taskmaster V8" This was the heavy duty version of the 283 in 1961. Used as an option in C and L 60 series. The standard 283 was known as the" Trademaster V8" used as an option in 10-50 series. Chevy painted their engines different colors so truck mechanics knew what they were working on. So the Trademaster 283 would be dark gray and the heavy duty Taskmaster would be green. This makes sense since the 283 Taskmaster was replaced with the 327 in 1962 in larger trucks and this engine was green as well.Photo shows indentical specs, but difference lies in lower compression, heavier duty valves and better M400 bearings.
I was starting to catch on that this was the deal whch is why I said that - thank you for giving me some more reason to feel like this is correct. So you feel pretty good about the Grey engine paint for 1/2 tons? Only thing still bugging me is not knowing what year Chevy started with the Grey paint on 283's because all the pictures I have seen so far show an orange engine except for these two green instances, so wondering if all the orange ones are orange because that is just what folks do when rebuilding a chevy, or if there is actually anything to it....my engine was orange but I saw it had rubber intake manifold gaskets and assumed a rebuild turned it orange....what do you think?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
GMCNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Amazing! Learn something new every day. Paint it orange! Just kidding, kinda like it. But it's clearly not original, so orange might be ok... (I like orange) - or any original Chev truck engine color (gray, blue, etc) It does look right at home as green though. Might repaint it that way and it will make a conversation piece.
I'm with you - might just do orange. I want it to be right so if Grey is right and Green is not then so be it but that correct Grey paint is not reproduced in a spray can (not the right shade at least) so it will be a super pain in the butt to match up the Grey and paint it that color.....not sure what to do
Old 06-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
LT1 Burb

That MA coded 283 I have is orange and it looks to be original but it could have been repainted in 69 and still look original I guess.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
jchav62
1962 C-10

Wow. Very interesting information... I'm smarter today than yesterday.

Just shoot over the original paint with high-temp clear and keep that super cool original box on hand. That would be a great conversation piece!
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/

1962 C10 Shortbed Fleetside 327/th350 GV overdrive
1974 C10 Longbed Fleetside 350/th350 "The Trash Truck"
1999 Chevy 2500 OBS, Longbed 5.7/4L80E 4x4
2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4
jchav62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
GMCNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
That MA coded 283 I have is orange and it looks to be original but it could have been repainted in 69 and still look original I guess.
What year truck did you pull that MA from?
Old 05-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #10
abreed

untill yesterday I always assumed could not see any orange paint on engine because it was though it faded \wore out now I find out it was gray same problem I have with my 1960 apache been in family since original purchase so know the history valve covers were chrome and intake had been replaced but most of truck was still original types v8 cast powerglide posi rear SWB paint is a issue because everything I read says firewall is black or body color (mine Yukon Gold metalic) mine firewallexterior is some kind of silver gray as is some of interior and I know this is original but have not seen any reference to.
abreed is offline   Reply With Quote