The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #1276
71swb4x4

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

I hope your son got to drive it too! Make him stand out there and take pictures? A great young man you have there!!
Old 12-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #1277
Low Elco

Valley Center, KS, Population 1835! SAAAAAA-LUTE!

You oughta get a ski rope and get the kid snowboarding behind the truck. Man, that's fun.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #1278
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Not really a progress update. I've had so many other distractions I just haven't had the time or ambition to start the next stage on this. Maybe next winter. I just went through 3 graduation ceremonies in 4 days, been working about 6 days a week the last couple months, I have to get rid of 3 cars, do repairs on 2 others (not mine), get ready for a grad party, a road trip and I'm still behind on my work. I will quit whining now.

I have driven the jimmy a few times this spring. Had 1 recurring problem with the fan belt. The mounting had the alternator a little out of alignment. I tweaked it some with washers and it seems to have cured it.

Another nagging problem is hard starting. This happens whenever it has sat for awhile. It turns over fine, but there is no fuel in the carb, or the inline filter before the carb, and it acts like it has to prime itself all the way from the tank before it gets gas to the carb. Once it does it starts and runs fine, and will restart ok too. Just a problem after sitting.

I can't find any leaks. There is no puddles, or gas smell around it. The fuel pump was new a few years ago, but I'm wondering if the diaphragm in it is leaking by, or if there is a check valve internal to it that isn't holding.

If anyone has an idea of whats wrong, please post it. I don't need to burn up the starter cuz of this annoyance.

A few pics from this winter. Took it out on the lake. Did some donuts, but no fishing...

And the boy did get to drive it...

Last edited by hgs_notes; 05-21-2014 at 07:27 PM.
hgs_notes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #1279
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice wheel time! I have had bad fuel pumps do exactly what you're saying is going on. I think there is an anti-siphon valve in those pumps and they can go bad and allow all the fuel to run back in the tank. I've had so many bad experiences the last 5 years with bad brand new diaphram style lift pumps it's pathetic.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #1280
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

That's what I figured. I did a little more research and found that the internal check valves are notorious for failing. Some people have gone the route of using an external fuel check valve. So I look at that option and they cost more than a new fuel pump.

I'm just gonna replace the pump. Only cost about $20 and it's an easy job.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #1281
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I'm still having a hard start issue. I swapped the fuel pumps and there was no change. I can't figure out how the float bowls would go dry. Don't understand why the entire fuel line to the tank is going dry. I'm stumped. Will probably start with the carb. Pull the lid off and see if fuel is leaking out the bottom some how. Cracked?

Haven't driven it in at least a month. Too many other things going on. A week and a half ago I took my C-10 to a show/swap meet in Little Falls. I found something that is kinda getting my juices flowing again for this project.

Dick Cepek FC II 35x12.5x17. Got 3 for $80. New ones are out of production but some retailers still have them available. Around $300 new, but I have time to search around for 1 or 2 used ones or clearance specials.

They will require more altitude on the jimmy. Which means suspension work. Which means I need to get serious about how I'm going to do that. I still want links and coils. I'm considering 1 ton axles. I have to buy wheels anyway (the slots are 15's, new tires are 17's) And if I'm going to be cutting off and replacing mounts this would be the time to do it.

Of course, progress will depend on available money and time. Going through a divorce at the moment, so I will have to wait and see how that goes, but I'm optimistic.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #1282
jaros44sr

What carb do you have on there....i ve heard of q jets leaking out of a screw on the underside, solution was to epoxy over screw. When i bought my truck the crankcase was filled with gas, fuel pump was the problem, but it sounds like you covered that base already

How about a cracked hose in the fuel line? Does it smell like gas in the garage...

Nice score on the tires, hav nt heard that name in awhile

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #1283
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
What carb do you have on there....i ve heard of q jets leaking out of a screw on the underside, solution was to epoxy over screw. When i bought my truck the crankcase was filled with gas, fuel pump was the problem, but it sounds like you covered that base already

How about a cracked hose in the fuel line? Does it smell like gas in the garage...

Nice score on the tires, hav nt heard that name in awhile
It has an edelbrock carb. Maybe draining out through the jets? Never been any sign of fuel leaks or gas smell. I'm going to start it, let it warm up and shut it off and see if I can find a leak or see if fuel is leaking into the manifold after I shut it off.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #1284
Low Elco

Pop off the line from the frame to the pumP. Plug an open air line fitting into it and let that sucker have it. I bet since you've been driving it youve sucked a bunch of crap into the pickup or the line and plugged it.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #1285
bowtieguy79
Ephesians 2:8

Man just flipped through your thread and hit the high spots. The pics are worth a thousand words! Felt like I was on an Epic journey! Nice work! Love the pic of your son start and finish. hits home for my dad and I Cheers!
bowtieguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #1286
Bomp

Got a chance to sit down and skip through the last couple of pages. Only 2nd day off this month.
Looks like you've been busy. Those new to you tires look like a good start on the next project.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #1287
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Pop off the line from the frame to the pumP. Plug an open air line fitting into it and let that sucker have it. I bet since you've been driving it youve sucked a bunch of crap into the pickup or the line and plugged it.
Did some testing and checking. There was fuel in the line this time. Wasn't when I replaced the pump, but since the symptoms were the same I figured it was the same problem as before. It's not a dry fuel line. Which is good.

There was also fuel in the line to the carb. I had replaced the fuel filter in that line also. The old one was one of those clear plastic ones and you could see it was empty before. Now you cant see it, but I opened up the line and there was fuel in it. Also good.

Still had an empty carb float bowl though. A mechanic friend of mine said something about running it, warming it up, then shut it off and see if there is smoke or vapor coming out of the carb from the manifold. I think he said it indicates that fuel is leaking into the manifold from the carb, but I need to talk to him again about it, cuz thats what its doing. I rebuilt the carb myself and it was a first time for me doing an edelbrock, but honestly it's not that complicated and I didn't have any problems doing it. I didn't notice any cracks but maybe I missed something or something came loose after install.

It needs some good tuning (not one of my strengths and I'm not equipped to do it properly). Maybe I should take it to a place in Springfield with a dyno and let them fix it and tune it. Probably worth the money to get it sorted out. It should have an electric choke added also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy79 View Post
Man just flipped through your thread and hit the high spots. The pics are worth a thousand words! Felt like I was on an Epic journey! Nice work! Love the pic of your son start and finish. hits home for my dad and I Cheers!
It had some adventure to it. Doesnt seem like it when its spread out in real time over several years, but seeing it condensed into a few pages (or 50) it seems like a lot of directional changes and it did evolve way beyond I ever expected it to. I'm glad it did though. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Got a chance to sit down and skip through the last couple of pages. Only 2nd day off this month.
Looks like you've been busy. Those new to you tires look like a good start on the next project.
Thanks for looking and catching up. I'm starting to look for axles. Not looking real hard yet cuz I need the checkbook to catch up with some other things first. I think the next stage of this build will take off this winter though. If I can afford to get the axles anyways.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #1288
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Time to breathe some life back into this thread. The next stage of the build is about to start. The plan was to build a link/coil suspension for it. I found big tires and they were going to require bigger wheels. But before I spent money on wheels I needed to decide what to do about axles, mainly the front. The 12 bolt is a pretty stout axle as is. The dana 44 isn't exactly weak, but it has some weak links in it. Primarily the steering knuckles and the axle shafts/u joints. The axle tubes can also bend under hard use, like jumping it. And who knows, I might want to jump a dune some day. My options were to beef up the dana 44, which can be done, but has a fairly high cost. Or find a dana 60 from a 1 ton 4x4, which has a fairly high cost to start with ($650-1000) and are difficult to find. So I was on the hunt for the dana 60 over the past few months.

Monday I was out doing my work thing and as is my habit, I keep my eyes open for possible parts trucks. I drove by a shop in Wykoff, MN and saw a truck with a missing grill with the front diff on the passenger side and had 8 lug wheels, but it was a dodge. I had thought dodges used a driver side pumpkin like fords do so hadn't been including them in my search. So I did my inspection and came back for a closer look.

Front...

Rear...

Its a 92 dodge 3/4 ton that had a diesel. Turns out they had dana 60 front axles and dana 70 rears. I find the guy in the shop and ask if they are selling parts off it. He says "Sure, what are you looking for?" The axles I say. Yeah, no problem he says. How much? I ask, thinking somewhere in the $4-500 range each. He says $200. My heart skips a beat and I try not to let my mouth fall to my chest and keep my eyes from rolling back in my head. I ask if thats for both and he says "yep, $100 for each axle." I tell him I will be back with a truck later this week to get them.

So today the weather held, no snow and relatively warm (for us) in the 20s and the roads are dry and have been for a few days. I checked the oil, water and tire pressure on my C-10 and plan for my road trip. Last night and this morning I'm thinking of asking how much more for the wheels/tires that are on it to ease rolling around, etc, and the rear lift blocks could come in handy too, so I get some extra cash to bargain with. I show up and the axles are there waiting to be loaded, with the wheels and tires still attached. AWESOME! We get them loaded and I ask about the blocks and driveshafts and he just says I can have them too. So I got all of this for $200.

Its a heavy load and I dont exactly have a lot of travel in my suspension. I road home with it sitting on the bump stops

I used my engine hoist and a strap to unload. Was able to do it all by myself. I love my hoist!

The rear axle is actually hanging clear in this pic...

The seller said when he told his boss about the deal he was a little upset he didn't ask for more, like $3-350. I didn't tell him I would've paid that plus more for each axle. I just thanked him and drove off with the treasure.

I had to move some things around the garage for the work coming up, so I drove the jimmy around the block one last time before the front end is tore down and on blocks. I can't wait for the next drive in it. It's going to be a beast.

As for the suspension, I'm going to start with the axle and frame brackets, and probably the panhard brackets from this kit.
http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Fro...Conversion.htm

I can't afford the whole kit up front. This has been and will continue to be a budget build. Things like tubing for links and rod ends or heim/johny joints can be sourced at cheaper prices and built, same with the shock tower hoops, etc. Those main brackets though are worth the money up front I think. I will be searching for good used coilovers that may not be the top end like whats in this kit. If I cant find them and I have to buy new it will just have to wait until I can afford to get what I need.

My hope is to get the front done by summer, and swap the rear axle and just use lift blocks for the time being. The rear will get a similar suspension next winter hopefully. Wish me luck everyone. I'm gonna need all I can get.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #1289
old yelr

Nice score on the diffs!! It`s nice when you can find that rare bargain when you least expect it; looking forward to the next chapter
old yelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:06 PM   #1290
Bomp

Great Score on the axles!!!
This is gonna be great
Old 01-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #1291
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Holly cow, you stole them! What gears are in them? They could be 3:54s or 4:11's. Getting all the extras is nice too. Were you nervous getting the first axle out with the hoist that close to the bed side? I think I would be.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:51 AM   #1292
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by old yelr View Post
Nice score on the diffs!! It`s nice when you can find that rare bargain when you least expect it; looking forward to the next chapter
Yes it is nice. It made my new year!
Quote:
Great Score on the axles!!!
This is gonna be great
I hope so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Holy cow, you stole them! What gears are in them? They could be 3:54s or 4:11's. Getting all the extras is nice too. Were you nervous getting the first axle out with the hoist that close to the bed side? I think I would be.
Tag on the rear diff said 3.54. I would have preferred the 4.11s but they can always be swapped out later. I was a bit nervous yes. My truck is showing its use. Hard to believe its been a few years now since it was painted and I have at least 3 small chips from rocks, a couple scrapes, and some minor scratches. I will be getting some touch up work done to it at some point, but it's not gonna keep me from using it like its supposed to be used.

Another thing I will be looking for over the next few months is some 8 lug 17x9 wheels. Steel ones are fine. Maybe even some oem aluminum wheels that can be cleaned up and coated or painted. Nothing too fancy.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:38 AM   #1293
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Man! Between thoses, the tires and the welder, you've got some real bargains lately. Course you've always been good at that, the Jimmy is proof of that. Really looking forward to following this build, have you been able to get anything done on the bumpers you had planned, or are they on the back burner now till you get the suspension done?

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #1294
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
Man! Between thoses, the tires and the welder, you've got some real bargains lately. Course you've always been good at that, the Jimmy is proof of that. Really looking forward to following this build, have you been able to get anything done on the bumpers you had planned, or are they on the back burner now till you get the suspension done?
Back burner. Suspension has to be the priority so its not laid up for months. Bumpers don't make it go.

I figure there will be other tube work for this project and will be looking to build or buy a tube bender. I have plans for a DIY project one. The kit uses shock hoops for mounting the coilovers, and thats because they are not figuring on a truck with a cage, which this will have.

Oh yeah, I will be planning to cage this also. The frame has too much flex in it and just boxing the frame isn't really enough to stabilize it. The best way is to get vertical and have a 3 dimensional frame. I have a lot to learn on this stuff but I'm not building it for competition. I'm building it for me and because I want to. I want to be able to really have fun with this without tearing the body up. I want it to look as stock as possible.

So I will be looking at building the front section of the cage around the engine compartment, incorporating the upper coilover mounts into it. I will tie it into the main hoop around the windshield frame. I will be using a crossover steering system and will reinforce the area of the frame where the steering box mounts. I will probably be replacing or adding a cross member or 2 or 3 along the way, starting with the engine one. Either just replace that or add one in the area in front of it. The rest of the cage will come later.

On a personal note, things with my wife didn't work out. That situation really put a damper on my motivation to create and build things. It also severely limited what I could afford to do. So this past year was primarily just enjoying everything I already had available to me as much as possible. I took a road trip with 2 of my kids, participated in hot rod power tour, watched my oldest graduate from the University of MN with honors, my son graduate high school and go to auto body school at a local vo-tech and get hired part time in one of the biggest body shops out of the metro area in the state, watched my ex graduate from a 2 year college (I paid for it and I'm happy for her), watched my financial situation deteriorate then saw the light at the end of the tunnel, met a new lady friend willing to put up with the BS happening in my life, and settled things with my wife. The divorce papers are signed and filed and awaiting the judges signature to finalize it. Its been difficult but the ex and me are getting along and talk regularly. We are adjusting the our new situation and I wish her the best. I have some financial hoops to jump through over the next month or so but I plan on spending just a small portion of that on myself, or the Jimmy in this case. I've been through hell for most of the last 2 years and I deserve to invest a little bit in myself.

I think 2015 will be fantastic. I have my home, my kids, my job, my toys and a new girlfriend. I should be alright budget wise going forward. I'm pre-registered for the next hot rod power tour, I have the core of what I need to start this new project in hand, and without the cloud of the divorce and a broken marriage looming over my head constantly, I'm getting my mojo back. This is how I described it to Connie (new gal) a week or so ago when she asked how I felt now that the papers were signed and it was almost over.

I feel like I woke up on a nice day with some fog when you go outside. The fog is cool and thick as you look around but you can also feel the power of the sun on your shoulders. You look up and see the blue sky through the thinning mist and you just know that its good now and about to get really good when the sun burns off the fog. Thats where I'm at right now. Standing in the lifting fog with the sun on my shoulders and looking forward to the rest of my day or life.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #1295
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Mike good to hear things are looking up! Very good score on the axles! I may have a 14 bolt 4.10 for sale out of my 86 K30. Would trade the front too for a D60 chevy 3.73 if you happen across a nice one. Was the cummins still in the dodge parts truck ?

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:45 PM   #1296
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
Mike good to hear things are looking up! Very good score on the axles! I may have a 14 bolt 4.10 for sale out of my 86 K30. Would trade the front too for a D60 chevy 3.73 if you happen across a nice one. Was the cummins still in the dodge parts truck ?
I know a guy looking for 1 ton axles, I will let him know. You can text me the info and price if you want. I do happen to know where a D60 front with 3.73 gears is located too. I will text you the info. The cummins was pulled out and used in one of the towing companies other trucks.

As for my dana 70 rear axle, I just had another stroke of luck. You guys probably think I'm just piling on now but I opened the diff up and it has a power-loc installed in it. Unfreakinbelievable. They cost around $600 or more.
http://www.drivetrainspecialists.com...sp-74326x.html
Old 01-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #1297
Bomp

Dude, Go buy a lotto ticket!!!

Great to see things are looking up finally.

One question.
Since you're going to do a bunch of frame/tube bending have you kicked around the idea of building the whole enchilada from scratch?
You totally have the skillz to do it.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:58 PM   #1298
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Dude, Go buy a lotto ticket!!!

Great to see things are looking up finally.

One question.
Since you're going to do a bunch of frame/tube bending have you kicked around the idea of building the whole enchilada from scratch?
You totally have the skillz to do it.
Not really. I'm not that much of a glutten for punishment. I have too many project ideas yet to build after this or along side it.

The cage will be fairly simple in design, probably 8 point. Just adding strength and rigidity, not building a race truck. My goal is to make it how I want and minimize the downtime. I've actually done pretty well against the "might as wells" over the years. I have a vision for what I want and tend to stick with it. This project has evolved but for the most part, at each stage I kept to the original idea, completed it, then moved on to the next idea.

This is my mule. My test bed for trying new things and ideas. Do I need a super whammidyne front suspension with race bred shock technology for driving the county roads out here on the prairie? Hell no, but I want to build it anyway. Even if all I ever do is jump ditches and not dunes, I don't care. That's not the point.

The point will be that I had something to do in the garage, I made an idea come to life, I used it as an excuse to get my TIG welder stuff and back to doing that, and doing this front end will push me to do the rear, and do other mods with the drivetrain and have the opportunity to maybe someday use it to run a dry river bed and jump a dune.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #1299
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Pics from yesterday.

The rear diff...

Side by side tire comparison...

Out with the old...

Just checking how it might look. I had the front end on jack stands about 5" higher than where it was normally. The old axle is hanging in full drop and happened to be centered right where the new tire would be. With the amount of travel this will have I don't think 5" is nearly enough, probably going to be more like 8" higher.

The inner fenders will need to come out. Once the engine cage is built and suspension is in I may try to modify them to go back in for some rock throwing protection, but that may not be possible. Depends how far up the tire will go in full compression. I've thought that maybe the slosh tubs could be used because they are raised up for tire clearance but I don't know if they could handle the abuse. Steel dents and bends, fiberglass can absorb some shock, but cracks or tears. Just thinking out loud. I think I've seen other raised inner fenders that basically look like originals and might be steel. I can move the hood hinges using porterbuilt ones if needed.

I also contacted ORD with some questions about their kit and other options. Hoping to have some money to play with later this month.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #1300
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The reply from ORD wasn't what I had hoped. They said their brackets wont work with the dodge D60 because the offset of the diff to the passenger side is too far. The dodge axle is 2" narrower and the spring perches are 1/2" further apart. Meaning the diff is about 1/4"-1/2" (the pads are also only 2.5" compared to chevy 3") further over and the knuckle is about 1" closer inboard. Looking at mine compared to the pics they post online I can see how it fits and I see what they mean, but I also think its something that can be overcome.

If I were to trim the outboard edge to move it a bit closer in to the knuckle, and then trim where it goes over the spring perch, it seems possible, but thats hard to really judge based on a single picture.

I had been looking at my options for this conversion off and on over the past few years. There are some custom jobs where a home builder like myself has done it. Many of those went with a 3 link or radius arm set up because of clearance issues and simplicity. And thats the option I figured at the time I would go with, but when I saw how the ORD set up was I figured that would be great. I wouldn't have to engineer it myself. Save lots of time and headaches.

So I'm still pondering it. Not an issue yet because I don't have the cash to buy stuff right now anyways. I'm not afraid to fab up my own design or copy what others have done. Don't be afraid to chime in and share your thoughts.

Some other builds that I've looked at for ideas. If you know of others, share a link..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=295482
http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/gene...ion/165473.htm
http://coloradok5.com/coilover.shtml
http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orus...ails.asp?id=34

Info on the Dana 60 axles...
http://www.billavista.com/tech/Artic...nt_Axle_Bible/