The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

How I built My Dog House With Heat

I built this so that one side of the roof will open up by way of hinges at the peak of the roof . This enables me to chjange out the hay for bedding and also change out buned out bulbs /or change wattage depending on the temperature ouside thru out the winter months.

I installed 3- 100 watt light bulbs that are installed inside a metal surround for safety and at the same time the metal collects heat from the light bulbs and transfirs heat to the whole inside of the dog house..

The floor ,walls and roof are isulated /sandwiched between OSB board and T-1-11 .

Heres the build pictures ..

Last edited by GOPAPA; 04-13-2009 at 12:10 PM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

Re: How I built My Dog House With Heat

That's a nice dog house! Must a pretty special dog.wonder if you could use a dimmer switch like in the house instead of swapping bulbs?...........I'm in the dog house so much I may have to have a set of plans for one these.

Good Job
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Nice job there,buddy.You`ve been cursed with fore thought.
Is that scrap rom the barn job?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Nice job there,buddy.You`ve been cursed with fore thought.
Is that scrap rom the barn job?
I do have some forethought and I just know you do also .. I have sketched out additions to buildings for people to make them udnerstand how I could add on to thier house and some times they would say ,,you do that pretty good .. any way some times it looked okay and they said it..
As for the t-1-11 ,,No,, acually I built the dog house a couple years ago and just this last summer had to cut the entry hole out a little bigger for my Lab that uses it .. just thought I would share a dog house idea to all .. it's a country dog house and not meant to look like store boughten ..
a lot of the things I have done are not on digital cameras and my age will tell on me for that ..I bet you have a bunch the same way ,,ha ha thx for the compliment ..
Old 04-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
ERASER5

I have a thought. your dog is going to chew the power cord!

Seriously, that is a cool dog house.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
I have a thought. your dog is going to chew the power cord!

Seriously, that is a cool dog house.
thanks for the compliment ,,,,and

I had that same thought about the dog chewing the wire ,,so I ran the wire through conduit from the light fixtures and it sticks up behind the dog house about 6 feet and from there on to a tree with an insulator and on over to my garage to a plug in..
Old 04-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
ERASER5

My dog house (now cat house) is down right ugly, (but the animals don't care), but while I had my dog, she always slept with her head out the door. I had about 8 to 10" of insulation around and on top with about 6" of foam under. Also I had about 8" of cedar shavings inside. It was a box inside a box with a tunnel entrance.

The only neat part is that it is all held together with wire clamps and will knock down flat. Well, the boxes will. The slip on gable roof will only pull off, but it will not knock down.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
t&tkennels

i had a similar idea, i was gonna use wood stove pipe & was gonna run lenth ways through the ceiling of the dog house, cap off one end & use a heat lamp on the other.
t&tkennels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
My dog house (now cat house) is down right ugly, (but the animals don't care), but while I had my dog, she always slept with her head out the door. I had about 8 to 10" of insulation around and on top with about 6" of foam under. Also I had about 8" of cedar shavings inside. It was a box inside a box with a tunnel entrance.

The only neat part is that it is all held together with wire clamps and will knock down flat. Well, the boxes will. The slip on gable roof will only pull off, but it will not knock down.

Most dogs do sleep with thier heads out the door and thats why I built this one with an over hang in front ,,also to keep the weather out .. did you trap the insulation inside the walls ? If I didnt trap the styrophoam inside the walls I know my dog would chew it to pieces..
Old 04-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Your lab would think he had a gingerbread house if the foam wasn`t covered,lol.
Yeah,lots of antique "prints".I gathered a bunch of mostly truck pictures and took them to Walmart where I scanned them onto a disc for a couple few bucks....really cheap.Just go early so you can stand ther for awhile.
My scanner is acting up and that`s one thing I don`t mess with fixing.Besides,I`m sure my hammer would ruin it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #11
msgross

I built a similar dog house about 5 years ago.. 2x4 walls with styrofoam inside, apshalt shingles and siding.. darm dog maybe stuck his head in it once and lives in the house now!

nice work though.. mine weighs about 800 lbs...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #12
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
I built a similar dog house about 5 years ago.. 2x4 walls with styrofoam inside, apshalt shingles and siding.. darm dog maybe stuck his head in it once and lives in the house now!

nice work though.. mine weighs about 800 lbs...
Dogs are funny aren't they ? Mine would lay in it when I first built it for awhile and then lay under a tree ,,even when it was what I thought cold out.. then i noticed that everytime I put new hay in it she would go back in after a day or so ..

What it was ,,she would scratch the hay to the sides until the floor was showing and then she didn't like it ..So , I nailed carpet on the bottom and now she cant scratch all the hay away and she stays in it all the time ..
thx it was a prototype that worked ,,got lucky ..LOL
Old 04-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #13
msgross

I think my kids have logged more time than the dog.. it's for sale now! 5' tall and the base is 4.5'x4.5'

oh yeah, it has a working ridge vent and soffits!
Attached Images

Last edited by msgross; 04-14-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #14
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
I think my kids have logged more time than the dog.. it's for sale now! 5' tall and the base is 4.5'x4.5'

oh yeah, it has a working ridge vent and soffits!

NOW ,,thats pretty .. nice job ,, my dog would turn the white to mud in a 1/2 day LOL ..
Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #15
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Most dogs do sleep with thier heads out the door and thats why I built this one with an over hang in front ,,also to keep the weather out .. did you trap the insulation inside the walls ? If I didnt trap the styrophoam inside the walls I know my dog would chew it to pieces..
Yea, the insulation is trapped. I drug a VERY heavy 5X5 skid home and set the dog house on top giving the dog a front porch to sleep on. And she did. The skid was untreated and rotted out in about 5 years. The dog house still in good shape.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #16
msgross

Quote:
NOW ,,thats pretty .. nice job ,, my dog would turn the white to mud in a 1/2 day LOL ..
It's actually a light clay and I mad the pitch to match my old shed perfectly... It was like it's little twin. I bought darker clay and green to match the new shed but lost interest in that project...

Old 04-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
That`s why I built mine like this(23 years and two dogs ago).It`s got 4" foam under it with insilated walls and carpet.Roof is very well nevted.Been thinking about screwing that down on day.I store nails and junk in there for now.It`s about to go once I get to fixing the fence.That corner has always been "The Dogpatch" anyway.I used to string a hammock up and hang with the dogs where there was a shadey elm over it:

First one was Tupelo,a bigger than average Golden Reteiver.It was his for 10 1/2 years.Then Buddy,a Brittainy Spaniel.He`s still around but stays in these days.He`s about deaf,blind,and getting lame...13 years old.I had a cable run across the property.Buddy figured out he could release the plasic clasp on his collar to go across the road where he heard little kids playing.I got a collar with an old fashioned metal buckle and he`d slip out of that.I tryed tighter an he got off it.I wouldn`t tighten anymore.Got him a harness.Came home to find the harness and no dog.Thought about a name change to Hoodeeny.The problem was the woman would let him in the house,on the couch,fed him their food while they were eating,she took him in the shower with her?!!! Definately had him confused.I`m supposed to keep my dog on my property,but c`mon!Get your own damn dog and stop making mine want to run off every chance he gets!Some people...

Tim

Old 04-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #18
GOPAPA

The dog house you built 23 years ago is just a bit better than the one I replaced a couple years ago . Dogs are not like people as they dont give a rats A%% what thier house looks like . I like it too,.maybe i'm an old dog myself..
Until I put carpet in and kept the hay in place I was beginning to think my dog wanted his old house back..

I was wondering ,,did the nerighbor lady know your dog is a he dog? LOL

Last edited by GOPAPA; 04-15-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

That`s how I am,justa dog.I sure can relate to the mutts.I didn`t want it too fancy.The tin came from a farm dump.Dogs love that stuff.
I would always take a bale or two of straw and stuff it around it and make a nice bed of it inside.So,I did get kinda fancy.

Tim

Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #20
redneckgirl

That is an awesome doghouse Papa! My old boy had a store bought one, that was no where near as nice as that! Biggest problem we had with him was he chewed anything wooden. The roof trusses, the floor, the exterior walls. (even our basement stairs when he was in the house) He hated thunderstorms, and I guess the thunder seemed louder in the box, so he'd just stand out in the rain until it quiet again if you let him...silly old dog
Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #21
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckgirl View Post
That is an awesome doghouse Papa! My old boy had a store bought one, that was no where near as nice as that! Biggest problem we had with him was he chewed anything wooden. The roof trusses, the floor, the exterior walls. (even our basement stairs when he was in the house) He hated thunderstorms, and I guess the thunder seemed louder in the box, so he'd just stand out in the rain until it quiet again if you let him...silly old dog
Our dogs are both Labs ,,when they were little we had them on our back porch and in a small area.. they chewed every thing up like your dog did ,,but after about 2,, I have them in a home made fenced in area approx. 25 feet wide and 60 feet long ,,they have all kinds of wood to chew plus toys and its in the trees ..I think if you give a dog lots to chew on it might be why they dont chew on the dog house .. dont know ,,but so far they have left the dog house alone..

thx for the compliment, I have been building things out of wood for over 50 years for more ,, want to see the swing I built ? it needs paint but it works.. LOL

Last edited by GOPAPA; 04-23-2009 at 10:58 PM.