The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
69halfton

fuel injection nightmares!

I know this is the wrong place to even post anything about hondas, but there are a few service guys on this board who work for them..so here it goes.

Ive got a Honda Civic Racecar for some circle track racing in a stock 4cyl class.

last year, the car was running perfect, pulled real strong.

had the engine out over the winter, and welded up the spider gears in the tranny to lock it up. put everything back in, and the engine doesn't run well. it starts nicely, but idles very rough, when i go to rev it up, if i do it quickly the computer shuts the ignition off completly, and the engine begins to die, until you turn the butterfly back to idle position.

it will not rev up very far.

if i unplug the TPS, (throttle position sensor) the engine will rev freely, and sounds alright, however idle is still very poor. but if i plug in the TPS in again, it will now rev a little better then it did without the TPS sensor plugged in. idle is still rough. through all of this, the engine is running VERY rich, like clouds of white smoke leaving the exhaust pipe.

there is no dash, and no check engine light. the idiot that raced the car before me cut all that stuff out, so i am lost and trying to figure it would myself.

if anyone has any ideas, or any comments, or any questions about this situation, i could really use the help!

If you can turn, Youre not going fast enough.

Favorite caption:

first car to 200 mph in the 1/4 mile, no parachute, drum brakes all the way around..
..back when men were men.
69halfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
69halfton

Re: fuel injection nightmares!

well i wasn't expecting much response, i feel like i have sinned just asking the question.

for anybody that read and even remotly considered it.. the MAP (manifold Absolute Pressure) and TPS (throttle Postion Sensor) were plugged in backwards. I had a buddy helping me install the motor who was a little green still, i geuss he figured that if the plug fits, it must go there.

just switched the plugs and ran like a top!

If you can turn, Youre not going fast enough.

Favorite caption:

first car to 200 mph in the 1/4 mile, no parachute, drum brakes all the way around..
..back when men were men.
69halfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
combustion

lol if i saw this i would have answered. but that is a very common mistake since the plugs are indentical. what engine do you have? B series or single cam?
If it`s 3.73 ratio you will spint the wheel 100 times to the driveshaft`s 373 times.Or,if you`re lazy,you could just spin the wheel once and the driveshaft will spin 3.73 times.Or, 3 and 3/4 turns.And if you`re real lazy,I can sell you a tab for whatever ratio you want.
Or,you could read all the suggestions and try those.It`s been well explained,I think,already.
combustion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
70rs/ss

I read it and wasn't sure of an answer, but I have never heard of two plugs being the same? I guess now all the plugs (except the injectors) are all different so you don't cross the wires, sounds like a cool ride, they run the 4cyl class out at Tucson Raceway Park, pretty cool and a great way to get into racing relatively inexpensively.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
combustion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
I read it and wasn't sure of an answer, but I have never heard of two plugs being the same? I guess now all the plugs (except the injectors) are all different so you don't cross the wires, sounds like a cool ride, they run the 4cyl class out at Tucson Raceway Park, pretty cool and a great way to get into racing relatively inexpensively.
believe it or not they are. iacv, iats, obd1 purge , secondary runnier sel, ect are ALL the same plug hahah. oh i forgot, and obd1 knock sensor. this is for hondas
If it`s 3.73 ratio you will spint the wheel 100 times to the driveshaft`s 373 times.Or,if you`re lazy,you could just spin the wheel once and the driveshaft will spin 3.73 times.Or, 3 and 3/4 turns.And if you`re real lazy,I can sell you a tab for whatever ratio you want.
Or,you could read all the suggestions and try those.It`s been well explained,I think,already.

Last edited by combustion; 04-20-2009 at 07:01 PM.
combustion is offline   Reply With Quote