The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2020, 09:12 PM   #1
Ehodg66

Jeep Steering shaft

I found this for sale online for $50. Says it’s from an early 90’s Cherokee. It looks like the plug and play XJ shaft but curious if anyone on the forum has any input.

Thank you
Attached Images

Ehodg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:23 PM   #2
Mathew21

Re: Jeep Steering shaft

I did it on two my my Square body's. I am very happy with the results. Here's the video I used for my install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9C4RdvjPNQ
Old 04-19-2020, 08:00 AM   #3
Ehodg66

Thanks Mathew,

That’s my plan as well. I haven’t purchased this yet because I wasn’t sure if it’s from the XJ. Does this look to be the correct shaft?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
Mathew21

Yes it looks right to me.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:47 AM   #5
bucannon
Salty Sailor

Looks like the right shaft to me. I picked one from a cash n carry yard but have yet to install it

Savannah, Georgia
bucannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #6
Ehodg66

UPDATE:
I purchased and installed my jeep steering shaft and what a difference! The play in the wheel is completely gone.
I highly suggest this relatively simple mod to everyone. Well worth the effort.

Thank you again Forum members!
Old 05-11-2020, 11:08 AM   #7
Mathew21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehodg66 View Post
UPDATE:
I purchased and installed my jeep steering shaft and what a difference! The play in the wheel is completely gone.
I highly suggest this relatively simple mod to everyone. Well worth the effort.

Thank you again Forum members!
Great update!
Old 06-01-2020, 02:06 PM   #8
Axle

Since real steering shafts seem to be a unicorn right now here in Canada (have not come across an intact jeep front end in the wreckers for a while now) amazon canada is out of stock, and has been for some time, summit is also doing drop shipping right now on this so I don't hold any hope for that either. Other than rockauto, other U.S. sources are out of the question by the time shipping and all gets factored in.

Being the unicorn it is, I cast my eye towards Dorman because unremarkably enough those are available everywhere. You'll notice the completely different construction on this one, rubber boot and probably slip joint under that boot.
Dorman 1984-1994 Cherokee Shaft; https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-85394-425-284.aspx

Has anyone had this shaft in their hands to see if this has enough slip to work on the square body? Is the short end long enough to support cutting down the long half if it came down to it. Yeah, we know about dorman quality, but like most things dormans, last resort is better than no resort.

[edit, looking at current amazon canada pricing dorman ain't happening either at $394.67. Might as well wait for summit to get the crown back in stock.]
[edit 2: dorman suddenly turned into gold? steady yourself; $517.59 at Napa Canada]
[edit 2.5 Mother Mopar doesn't even list a steering shaft as available]

Alex.
Attached Images

Last edited by Axle; 06-01-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #9
Bloodhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Since real steering shafts seem to be a unicorn right now here in Canada (have not come across an intact jeep front end in the wreckers for a while now) amazon canada is out of stock, and has been for some time, summit is also doing drop shipping right now on this so I don't hold any hope for that either. Other than rockauto, other U.S. sources are out of the question by the time shipping and all gets factored in.

Being the unicorn it is, I cast my eye towards Dorman because unremarkably enough those are available everywhere. You'll notice the completely different construction on this one, rubber boot and probably slip joint under that boot.
Dorman 1984-1994 Cherokee Shaft; https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-85394-425-284.aspx

Has anyone had this shaft in their hands to see if this has enough slip to work on the square body? Is the short end long enough to support cutting down the long half if it came down to it. Yeah, we know about dorman quality, but like most things dormans, last resort is better than no resort.

[edit, looking at current amazon canada pricing dorman ain't happening either at $394.67. Might as well wait for summit to get the crown back in stock.]
[edit 2: dorman suddenly turned into gold? steady yourself; $517.59 at Napa Canada]
[edit 2.5 Mother Mopar doesn't even list a steering shaft as available]

Alex.
For that money why not just get the Borgeson shaft. It is very high quality, has to be better than a Dorman replacement. And it's cheaper.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:18 PM   #10
Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
For that money why not just get the Borgeson shaft. It is very high quality, has to be better than a Dorman replacement. And it's cheaper.
A borgeson is definately preferable, and like you say, it comes in well below the dorfman at $371.99cdn (add 15% tax add shipping). At least summit becomes a viable option again. Though I'll probably hold off a while yet in the hopes of stumbling across a usable jeep at the wreckers.
https://www.4wheelparts.ca/p/borgeso.../R-BLCC-000925
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-000925
Old 06-03-2020, 06:38 PM   #11
kipps

What shaft am I looking for?

Any Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee from the 90's?

Or is it only the Cherokee?

What's the difference in those two models anyway?
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #12
franken

Do a web search for the--nevermind.
https://www.google.com/search?client...+jeep+steering
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #13
Mathew21

Quote:
A borgeson is definately preferable, and like you say, it comes in well below the dorfman at $371.99cdn (add 15% tax add shipping). At least summit becomes a viable option again. Though I'll probably hold off a while yet in the hopes of stumbling across a usable jeep at the wreckers.
Next time I go the local u pull I will check to see if there any there. If there is I will grab one and message you to see if you are still in need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post

I know for sure a steering shaft (From 1988-96 JEEP CHEROKEE will work, I read some Grand Cherokee shafts will work but make sure the spline count matches.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #14
Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew21 View Post
Next time I go the local u pull I will check to see if there any there. If there is I will grab one and message you to see if you are still in need.
Thanks for the offer, though I think international shipping these days is the killer. I know the last service manual I got off ebay (not using that global shipping nonsense, which would have been even higher) had basic shipping signicantly higher than my previous manual purchases. Shipping is getting so out of hand anymore. At least with summit and rock auto they have dirt cheap aggreements with shippers.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #15
Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post

Just Cherokee. The Grand Cherokee used different steering columns, and a different coupler on that side. If the coupler looks like the ones in this thread it should be fine. If it looks like a cylinder with a thru bolt it won't.

Alex.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #16
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Has anyone installed the Borgeson yet?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #17
Bloodhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Has anyone installed the Borgeson yet?
I have. Haven't driven on the road yet as I'm on the tail end of finishing this frame-off build. But from just low speed moving around the driveway it seems great.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #18
kglowacky

I just installed a 87-95 wrangler shaft and it fits good. I had to shorten it as I moved my column down 3 inches but even if I didn't I would had to shorten it. Easy to shorten .
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:36 AM   #19
wraprail

These days you can purchase the u joints for $25 each and a DD shaft or use your factory shaft and do the whole thing for under a hundred with all brand new parts.
Just did mine with 3 joints and cost me $85
Old 06-24-2020, 08:31 AM   #20
Ehodg66

Wraprail,

I'm interested to see your mod, could you post a few pics?
Old 06-25-2020, 01:33 AM   #21
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Ehodge66,
I did this in my build if interested. You can read and see pictures in my build thread here in the build section under rodstored-72 dd build in the square body builds, hope it helps you
rodstored-72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #22
Axle

Nice build! Have you got a nylon ball under that set screw you added? Reason that set screw sprung out at me is that the shaft will have movement in/out due to the frame and cab moving separately from each other to some degree due to frame flex, rough roads and cab bushing flex all adding a bit of movement into the mix.

Alex.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #23
Axle

I got myself an Omix-Ada 18016.05 jeep steering shaft (1984-1994 cherokee, comanche (sx, xj, mj)).

Prep: heated it with a propane torch, as soon as it started oozing and the shaft moved I knocked it out with a pickle fork. Doing that prevented melting out all the plastic from the inner shaft, in hindsight, didn't need to worry about it, as installed in the truck, the shaft is shorter than it would be in the jeep so good full engagement of the two parts. But getting the heat off asap was also done so as not to destroy the rubber isolator.

Install went smooth. I did have to do some grinding on the steering column side to the rounded portion for it to fit, still ended up extremely tight and it wasn't going anywhere--bought a lower bearing as well and that did not get installed due to me being a bit enthusiastic getting the jeep shaft on. In the future, I will need to pull the column & shaft as one peice if I want to remove the shaft without destroying it. Didn't help that a previous owner/mechanic on my truck went to town on the original pinch bolt and distorted the lower column D-shaft. Just something else to add to the list of things to look for when I go to the wreckers.

Driving impresions; considering my rag joint was a lot worse than I thought it was, and the upper bell end joint was sloppy as all get out as well, the new shaft is like driving a rack & pinion vehicle. Ain't no slop there any more.You wiggle the steering, everything wiggles including the wheel. Can't ask for more than that. No new steering wheel vibrations to report either-but the jeep shaft has an upper rubber isolator. When that rots out, I'll weld it in place and see if theres any difference.

So, if you are on the fence about it, just do it. Insta-steering is nice.

Alex.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2020, 05:23 PM   #24
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

nice job!!
rodstored-72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #25
Axle