The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2003, 02:40 AM   #1
chevy69002000

how to change wing window rubber on 69' c20

I have a 69' chevy longbed pickup and i just bought some rubber for the wing windows because im getting A/C. i took some of it apart and i saw rivets and i dont want to start anything i cant finish. so i was wondering how the right way to go about it would be?
chevy69002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 07:59 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Welcome to the board from West Michigan!

You will have to deal with rivets but it is not difficult. Rivet guns are cheap and work well.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 08:08 AM   #3
MOTHERTRUCKERS

Before the new vent windows came out we rebuilt them here all the time. We used a longer rivet setting tool 16" (4"is to short) a soft face vice and a piece of 2x1/2 tool steel 16" long as a rivet backer. Drill all 4 top and bottom rivets out and remove the frame from the division bar then drill the rivets in the division bar holding the rubber strip then clean out the division bar felt. You will find it easier to drill the king post rivet out also. Install the new seal into the frame groove being careful to seat it good then set 1 top rivet and 1 lower rivet then slide the flat seal into the top and bottom of the frame seal and carefully set the rivets. After seating all the seals set the last top and bottom rivet and the king post rivet. If the setting tool and rivets did not come with the seals I suggest you order them, if after a couple of hours of fighting them you decide new chrome vent windows for 270.00 a pairs not a bad deal.....