The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2004, 03:47 PM   #1
penaduny

need some tranny advise. asap please

So I was driving around yesterday.. And out of no where my tranny stops working. I can click through all the gears and nothing happens, it’s full of oil, no metal in it. If I put it in gear or park, my truck won’t roll, in neutral it will. My torque converter bolts are in tact. I pulled off the cover and it spins.. Ive had the tranny a little over a year, it was rebuilt. I bought it from a shop that only gives a year warrantee. So. If im going to go through the effort of pulling it out and everything im just going to buy a new tranny from jeggs or summit. Or any other place you guys can recommend.

What I need to know is where the best place to get a new/rebuilt one. And I want to stay under 1000 for it.

Also im trying to get this fixed by next week.

So if I where to get a 700r4 I know that I would gain another gear, but are there any other advantages? I don’t know much about trannys, so the more info you can give me the better. I know the mounts are the same on 700s and 350s,.. is there anything that will be different and cause me problems when im putting it in?

Thanks for any help you can give me..
penaduny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:49 PM   #2
cableguy0

sounds to me like you broke the front sprag or the torque convertor tci makes very good transmissions
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 01:12 AM   #3
jnocarson

I don't know anything tranny's, but mine did the exact same thing tonight and i had to pull it home, and worse than that, i had to pull it with a F@rd truck,(company truck), luckily it was dark and no one saw it happen. anyway, I'm not sure what the problem is, but i would sure like to know what to do with it now.
jnocarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 12:59 PM   #4
Cethern
What was I thinking??

I would say if you both went to a 700r you like it for not only the MPG, But your motor will like running at a lower RPM at highway speed that should help with the life of your motor.
As for where to get one under a 1000.00 that could be hard I think Jet sells theirs for 1700 or more.
When I had one of mine rebuilt it cost me 700.00 exchanged I got a 2yr 50,000 mile warrenty.
If or when you put one in add a cooler 700R's do not like heat.

Cethern
Old 11-08-2004, 03:10 AM   #5
Clancy68

thats kind of odd that it won't roll in gears. i can understand if it didn't roll in park and rolled in all the gears including neutral. becuase thats a manual linkage in the transmission. being that your getting some kind of indication out of a gear means you have oil preassure(i think anyway), so i wouldn't jump imediatly to a broken pump drive or anyother hard parts for that matter...yet
does the engine build revs as quickly and as freely when you put it in gear as say park or neutral? that should indicate some kind of load on the engine. im thinking you may have something more like a valve in the valve body hanging up. which can happen pretty easily as i understand especially if the assembly was not clean. i think you might want to give the shop that built it a call and see what they say. as far as a 700-r4 i think they are great trannys, as everyone says, you can't go wrong with overdrive, a lock up converter helps too.
but some people still give them a lot of undeserved wrap due to some early durability issues from when they first started producing them.
i feel your best bet is to have one locally built, becuase you can always take it back to the guy and speak to him in person. Im sure the majority of tci transmissions are great, however i have heard about and personally witnessed some problems. ive heard about leaking and other small problems, and i have witnessed a th-400 blow up, basically the tci unit sheared off all the lugs in the case. so the guts were switched to another case... a few weeks later same problem, and a phone call to a performance transmission shop the following day for a custom built 400, no problems since the new one went in. sorry for the long post, hope this helps.

--Scott

Last edited by Clancy68; 11-08-2004 at 03:12 AM. Reason: wrong term
Clancy68 is offline   Reply With Quote