The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #351
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Re: My 1965 build thread

Personally, I would run the fuse box vertically. It looks more uniform that way as far as the labeling goes. The wiring can still be tucked upwards very neatly and sanitary. I think in the future, it would be alot easier to access the wires if you had too.

Also, on the a-arms....did you install the bushings at the same time, or one at a time ?

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #352
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
Also, on the a-arms....did you install the bushings at the same time, or one at a time ?
I tried to install both at the same time. I'm going out tonight and see if get it the rest of the way in. It got a little scary on jack stands trying to get it in.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:21 AM   #353
Alan's Classic

I'm so pissed!!!! I normally don't follow many directions, so why did I start tonight? I thought that I would do something that I could get done in a night. The sway bar was a good choice. So I thought. It came from CPP but all they do is buy it from ADCO. So I followed the directions by cutting off the front frame Xmember lower rivet on both sides. If I had paid more attention to the relation of the rivet to the gearbox I might have seen there was a difference.

Once done I tried to align the bracket with the hole and things just didn't line up. This is the best it would fit going by how the bracket was laying against the frame. I noticed it was too close to the gear box.

I then moved the bracket to the tie down hole. Notice how it doesn't line up with the bar.

I know this can't be right.

I then just assymbled everything and this is where it lined up. Now I've got to touch up my frame and find some more bolts to put in the holes that I'm not going to use.

I could have just left the rivets alone. I still have too drill 4 holes. If this is the correct kit then I don't mind drilling the holes. I just wish the instructions mentioned that. Maybe someone can enlighten me to what I'm doing wrong. The box says it's for 63-72 trucks. I thought about posting this in the suspension forum, but it is still part of my story. I might still list it there. I'm not going to contact CPP cause they have never answered my email or even followed up on my phone call. They were supposed to email me what they found out.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #354
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I remember seeing a thread like this where the sway bar would not reach the frame on a guys truck, he was having all sorts of problems...
un fortunatly I don't emember what it was called.

will the mount position change with the wieght of the motor, caba nd sheet metal?
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:24 PM   #355
TR65

Hey Alan,

I just bought front and rear sways from Brothers that are ADDCO's as well. The front is ADDCO #117 (63-87 C10) and the bar bolts directly to the frame without the offset brackets?? I haven't mounted it yet but I am a bit concerned based on your trouble and the different design.

CPP has a technical article for mounting sway bars that doesn't say anything about removing rivets.
http://www.classicperform.com/tech_a...ar/SwayBar.htm

By the way. Brothers uses a Helwig number for their sway bars to trick you into thinking you were going to get a Helwig bar I suppose.

Your thread is very interesting and helpful as you have heard at least 100 times by now.

TR

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:39 AM   #356
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
I remember seeing a thread like this where the sway bar would not reach the frame on a guys truck, he was having all sorts of problems...
un fortunatly I don't emember what it was called.

will the mount position change with the wieght of the motor, caba nd sheet metal?
I wondered that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR65 View Post
Hey Alan,

I just bought front and rear sways from Brothers that are ADDCO's as well. The front is ADDCO #117 (63-87 C10) and the bar bolts directly to the frame without the offset brackets?? I haven't mounted it yet but I am a bit concerned based on your trouble and the different design.

CPP has a technical article for mounting sway bars that doesn't say anything about removing rivets.

By the way. Brothers uses a Helwig number for their sway bars to trick you into thinking you were going to get a Helwig bar I suppose.

Your thread is very interesting and helpful as you have heard at least 100 times by now.

TR
TR- Thanks for the info. I wish they would have shipped these instructions with the sway bar instead of a copy of an article from a truckin magazine. The pics I took of the instructions is part of that article. When I called CPP last week about the hardware they said they get them from ADDCO. I did a google search of the number that you provided and it looks nothing like the one I have. My PN on mine is CP7423-BLACK. I emailed the tech center at CPP tonight. Of coarse CPP customer service never replied to my other email or sent me an email about the possible grade 5 hardware in the sway bar kit. When I called he said he would check into it and email me what he finds out. I really don't expect a response from tonights email, but they might surprize me. I used to be really happy with CPP's service, but here lately I will think twice before ordering again. The product (minus instructions) is not the issue it's service.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad this thread is helpful to some. If I can just help people not make the mistakes I make, I can see that being very helpful.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #357
c10addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR65 View Post
Hey Alan,

TR

I have the Addco Sway bar on my 64... It bolts directly to the frame with out the factory style brackets to lower the mounting point... It worked great... I don't know what you paid through brothers but I called Addco and bought directly from them. Mine was also custom bent to work with the dropmember and the ART control arms.. It was only $138.00
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #358
1restorick

Years ago when I installed a sway bar on my 63, I had to drill four holes. The sway bar brackets are between the rivets just like your photo. I had similar instructions and realized that the rivet location wasn't correct. Best of luck. I did recently convert to polyurethane bushings because the control arm bushing do take a beating in this application.

Rick
1restorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #359
TR65

Hey Addict and Rick,

Thanks for the info. I feel better now about the bars. I plan to mount them up over Christmas and will post pics. (without highjacking Alan's thread). Brothers had them on sale a few weeks ago. $100 each, $138 delivered, imagine that.

TR

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:06 AM   #360
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1restorick View Post
I had similar instructions and realized that the rivet location wasn't correct.
Rick
I wasn't that smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10addict View Post
I have the Addco Sway bar on my 64... It bolts directly to the frame with out the factory style brackets to lower the mounting point... It worked great... I don't know what you paid through brothers but I called Addco and bought directly from them. Mine was also custom bent to work with the dropmember and the ART control arms.. It was only $138.00
I guess I didn't do enough research. Come to think of it I didn't do any.

Still no response from CPP.

Verticle it is. The fuse panel is mounted.

The dash is in for the last time. It's welded and my personal photogragher (sdailey) took some pix of yours truely.

For those of you that don't know this. When you have a sharp piece of metal that your working around just run a piece of tape along the edge. It will help some. I did this on the pinch weld.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:22 AM   #361
joe231

looks sweet!
love the dash!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #362
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
looks sweet!
love the dash!
Thanks Joe

I just want to let everyone know I won't be getting anything done for the next week and a half. My family and I are going to Missoula Montana for Christmas to visit her family. While there I hope to hook up with jonzcustom and runninlo. I want to wish everyone Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I hope to get alot done once we get back. I have a few days off before I have to go back to work.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #363
SIR
SIR

...It looks like it has what they call the "sport cab option" with a large rear window....this option was very spendy back in the day,today it's rare.don't let this one go,see if it is a matching numbers truck you could be sitting on more than you know.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #364
joe231

Have a Merry Christmas Alan, look forward to more progress after the holiday
Old 12-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #365
LuckyHenriksen

Excellent build thread, great work
Senior Project
Build Thread Here
LuckyHenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #366
cjracing15

Alan You do excellent work.

I just went through your whole build and, you are makeing want a 65 BAD!!
1977 SWB stepside
1949 Chevy truck
cjracing15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #367
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
Have a Merry Christmas Alan, look forward to more progress after the holiday
Thanks Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyHenriksen View Post
Excellent build thread, great work
Thanks Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracing15 View Post
Alan You do excellent work.

I just went through your whole build and, you are makeing want a 65 BAD!!
Thanks CJ

Wish us luck, we leave tommorrow and fly thru Denver then up to Missoula. We don't get out much, so if you see a couple with 2 kids that look frazzled well that might be us. Merry Christmas everybody.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #368
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

bring snowboots! 6 inches and still counting since yesterday
Old 12-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #369
Alan's Classic

Well the trip has come and gone. Except for airport delays everything went great. We got to see and play in alot of snow.

While there I was able to hook up with Jonzcustomshop (right)

Also able to meet Runninlo (left)

It was very cool to see your projects up close. You two are some cool dudes. I wish I lived closer so I could pick your brains for more info. There is alot too learn from ya'll. I also wish I could've stayed longer, but time constraints prevented that.

Want too wish everyone a Happy New Year!!!

Now it's time to get back to work after we unpack. Still waiting for our luggage to show up. The airline is bringing it too us this afternoon.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #370
joe231

Welcome back!!
Now GET BUSY!!!
I for one have missed seeing your progress......
Old 12-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #371
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

you look COLD in that second pic alan
was nice meeting you, you'll have to visit in the summer some time, it's alot more fun.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #372
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
you look COLD in that second pic alan
I looked cold cause it was cold (too me). I was also dodging snowballs. I can't believe people were weaing shorts up there. They wouldn't last long in a sultry August down here. Me and cold weather don't get along very well. As you could tell. It took 30 minutes for my toes to get their feeling back from when we were talking outside before we got in the truck.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #373
RunninLo
3DrDwn--the 'burb not the band

Man is my head really that big? I'm a goofy son-of-a...
Alan it was really nice to meet you. As I expected as a board member you are a real class act. I too wish I had more time away from work to visit. I agree with Jon Z. that a summer visit is in order. I have a spare cycle or maybe take the old bow-ties for a cruise. Next time for sure. I promise I'll have better heat and the sheetrock will be done for next time too.
Josh

'89 GMC Dually crew build page coming soon.
88 4x4 crew DD

duallys past/present pics here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...46#post4001246

89 1 ton Dually rear flip kit install here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=354327
RunninLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:26 PM   #374
srsummers

Alan
What size tires are those in your "before" pictures? Are those 15X8 ralley wheels? I have a set of 6 lug ralley wheels and I can't figure out which tire size I should run.

BTW...nice truck
srsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:30 PM   #375
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsummers View Post
Alan
What size tires are those in your "before" pictures? Are those 15X8 ralley wheels? I have a set of 6 lug ralley wheels and I can't figure out which tire size I should run.

BTW...nice truck
I'm pretty sure they are 8" wheels. The tire size is 275/60R15.
BTW thanks for the comment