The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Let's finish this once and for all!!! Your favorite carb: Holley? Edelbrock? Q-Jet?
Holley 162 33.96%
Edelbrock 131 27.46%
Quadrajet 184 38.57%
Voters: 477. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #76
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Re: POLL: Holley? Q-jet? or Edelbrock? Let's finish this once and for all!!!!

wish i had that carb above

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:06 PM   #77
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

This on the other hand looks just terrible!!! It screams "meek" and "good gas mileage". lol
Attached Images

prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #78
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Talking Re: POLL: Holley? Q-jet? or Edelbrock? Let's finish this once and for all!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LOW4X4 View Post
There is nothing like a good setup Q-jet.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BLAZE View Post
just got 15 mpg out of my 454 with a q jet.
Hoping to get that out of my setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
....and they're such a good looking carb too. Great way to top off all that hard work making that motor look good!.
I've got more time with the old reliable Q-jet than any other carb. That being said I can truthly say I've had my fair share of terrible running Edelbrock carbs vs. the Holleys.

So for me the vote is simple...... Q-Jet for my application.

Performance is another issue that this thread is not addressing at this time.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #79
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I'm really having fun with this thread and the "swb vs lwb" one. I sure hope everyone is not taking this seriously or personal. I'm really laughing at some of the post. It is DUMPING snow in Bend, OR and not much else to do but laugh with you crazies!!!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #80
llowlife

Raced Q jets and holleys got to know both pretty well. QJ is the most tunable if you have the patience. There are some very good books out there for it too. Fuel mileage is about as good as you are going to get for the street.

Holley...parts galore!!!! Amazingly simple carb.

Edelbrock not too much experience but from what I saw it looked like a Carter copy.

I voted QJ

72 short step w/ 388 /4l80e/ and 3.08 gears.
llowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #81
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowlife View Post
Raced Q jets and holleys got to know both pretty well. QJ is the most tunable if you have the patience.
I'm guessing you are talking stock for stock? Do you see that block below. Do you have any idea JUST how tunable that is? Combined with a custom PVCR you can build a fuel curve that will challenge fuel injection!!!!
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #82
C20-67_N_MO

Wink Re: POLL: Holley? Q-jet? or Edelbrock? Let's finish this once and for all!!!!

Quote:
I'm guessing you are talking stock for stock? Do you see that block below. Do you have any idea JUST how tunable that is? Combined with a custom PVCR you can build a fuel curve that will challenge fuel injection!!!!
Hey!

Me and you are gonna have a Loooonnnnnggggg talk come 2011. Will be getting my 3310 back and will do me some testing on a very heavy Suburban. And will share the results here some place.

Until then I too am enjoying what everyone has experience with and what their favs are.

Carry on!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #83
Pont406

prostreet,
I run a custom built HP series carb on a car. It's got some of these adjustments built in it plus the airbypass built into aircleaner stud hole. I couldn't tell any difference untill we got it on a dynojet with air/fuel meter hooked up. But I still like Qjets. One day I'll try a Qjet on it.
Attached Images

Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #84
rustyrodknocker

I thought I recognized that holley model that nobody seems to care for. because it was silver. just looked under the hood. yep thats it! its funny I love q jets but had to give holley some credit because of whatever model number that is on my truck. becuase it was in the pile that came with the truck, although it was new. so dependable, I was not sure what it even looked like. on the second motor now and headed for the third. does'nt look so silver anymore though.
rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #85
rustyrodknocker

for anyone that still thinks the q jet is complicated or just wants to learn more about them buy or steal a copy of Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors . It's a SA design book sa113 writen by Cliff Ruggles isbn-13:978-1932494-18-1. This guy is a qjet guru and one of the best if not the best technical writers I have ever read.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #86
1LOW4X4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrodknocker View Post
for anyone that still thinks the q jet is complicated or just wants to learn more about them buy or steal a copy of Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors . It's a SA design book sa113 writen by Cliff Ruggles isbn-13:978-1932494-18-1. This guy is a qjet guru and one of the best if not the best technical writers I have ever read.
Thank you for that
1LOW4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #87
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by C20-67_N_MO View Post
will do me some testing on a very heavy Suburban. And will share the results here some place.
A heavy betty on 33's huh? What is yer gearing? That things gotta come in close to 6,000 lbs?
Old 12-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #88
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
if not the best technical writers I have ever read.
Ever heard of David Vizard?
Old 12-20-2010, 01:51 AM   #89
1LOW4X4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Ever heard of David Vizard?
Let me guess, hes a holley guy....
Old 12-20-2010, 02:06 AM   #90
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

He is the best techincal writer hands down......just google him!

Of course he's scary with Holley's because he's about POWER.....and you don't build big and I mean big HP with the Ed's or the jets. Please don't come back with the 500 HP Q-jet motor. I said BIG power.

BTW....where are the blow thru Q-jets??? This carb was posted over in the "engine and drive train" forum a couple of weeks ago but I guess it's time to bring it over here so the over 1,500 viewer that haven't commented can see how you make BIG power. This is on a street driven 427 small block. Pro-charged and making a tad over 900 hp on pump gas.

Yes I realize I'm getting carried away. A performance comparison between Holley and Q-jet is not a fair one.

(man....I'm a sore loser).
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2010, 02:26 AM   #91
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
He is the best techincal writer hands down......just google him!

Of course he's scary with Holley's because he's about POWER.....and you don't build big and I mean big HP with the Ed's or the jets. Please don't come back with the 500 HP Q-jet motor. I said BIG power.

BTW....where are the blow thru Q-jets??? This carb was posted over in the "engine and drive train" forum a couple of weeks ago but I guess it's time to bring it over here so the over 1,500 viewer that haven't commented can see how you make BIG power. This is on a street driven 427 small block. Pro-charged and making a tad over 900 hp on pump gas.

Yes I realize I'm getting carried away. A performance comparison between Holley and Q-jet is not a fair one.

(man....I'm a sore loser).
That's a pretty serious looking carb! What cfm is it?
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:45 AM   #92
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacfourteen View Post
That's a pretty serious looking carb! What cfm is it?
It's a 950 cfm with high sheer billet annular boosters. It has boost ported shaft sealing so the pressure goes down rather than out the shafts.

Need to give props to my buddy Paul at Superflow Carburetor Systems in NY.

It is his creation.

Last edited by prostreetC-10; 12-20-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:09 AM   #93
alsohim

For drive-ability Q-Jet. Smaller primary means good on gas but huge secondaries making 670 CFM!

Kaleb

alsohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #94
C20-67_N_MO

Cool Re: POLL: Holley? Q-jet? or Edelbrock? Let's finish this once and for all!!!!

Quote:
A heavy betty on 33's huh? What is yer gearing? That things gotta come in close to 6,000 lbs?
The beast is running what I beleive is stock 3.07 as it had a tag on the front housing. But will count teeth to make sure once I get her in a garage.

So what are you saying?

Can't the Holley handle something like this?

Not up to the task is it?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #95
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Yeah right.....
Just want to make sure at least the stock plain spring is in the rear to slow down the secondaries. That booster config with the 3310 will be good. The straight leg is positioned a little higher in the venturi to slow the signal just a tad which is what you will want on that semi truck. High gears and no converter with big tires will have an effect. One thing I like about the 3310 is that is has big PVCRs like and 850. Will help with part throttle hesitation has you are trying to move that train. A slightly bigger PVCR will also allow you to run a little leaner cruise A/F ratio to help with mileage.......but not a ton. I certainly cannot tell you how it will work without being in my hands.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:51 AM   #96
rustyrodknocker

"Please don't come back with the 500 HP Q-jet motor. I said BIG power".
request denied. 500 hp is still big power. dont think so, take a true 500 horse car on a public street and stab it when the light goes green. you will quickly relize how narrow a traffic lane is, how convex the surface of the road really is and how close the stoplights are together and how good your brakes are. this is why the percentage of sub 12 second street legal cars that show up to the track on trailers increases dramaticly with evey tenth dropped. they are a pain on the street and break parts readily. there is a huge increase in high horse cars today verses just ten or fifteen years ago. but you would not know it by looking at anystreet usa. unless its saturday nite cruise in.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:26 AM   #97
1LOW4X4
Account Suspended

Quote:
"Please don't come back with the 500 HP Q-jet motor. I said BIG power".
request denied. 500 hp is still big power. dont think so, take a true 500 horse car on a public street and stab it when the light goes green. you will quickly relize how narrow a traffic lane is, how convex the surface of the road really is and how close the stoplights are together and how good your brakes are. this is why the percentage of sub 12 second street legal cars that show up to the track on trailers increases dramaticly with evey tenth dropped. they are a pain on the street and break parts readily. there is a huge increase in high horse cars today verses just ten or fifteen years ago. but you would not know it by looking at anystreet usa. unless its saturday nite cruise in.

I'm a newer model LSX guy but my carb on my hot 350 in my 86 is a Q-jet that my uncle rebuilt and redid the jets and other things I cant even quote. Says its around 800cfm....All I know is it runs good and it propels this truck to fast speeds and I dont have to adjust it!

Last edited by 1LOW4X4; 12-22-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:26 AM   #98
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I guess I should have been more clear. Yes....500 is a lot of power for the street ('specially if she's RWH). As far as a carb's ability to to "help" a motor make power....500 is not a lot to me. Bottom line is the Holley will take over when the lil Q-jet is exhausted. It's not really up for debate. I also don't build carbs to get your grandma to the grocery store. You wanna run NOS? You need blow thru? Looking to finish off that 6/71? Get yer self a Holley!

I'm actually surprised we are in second place. I figured we'd be dead last on a truck forum!!

ALSOHIM: I really dig the look of that truck!!! That is the perfect weathered look for a DD or a work truck.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #99
68Stepbed

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised Holleys are in second place here. When I first put the 350 in my truck, I listened to everybody else that said Holleys were junk and to get an Edelbrock. Well, I got one. It ran perfect for about 3 months(right when the 90 day warranty was out), then it would spit, sputter, stall, was hard to start after warmed up, burned your eyes while idleing, and just plain old didn't have the pep it had when new. I had a guy take it apart and clean it. It did ok for a week. I ended up trading it for a rebuilt one. After about a month it did the same thing. So, I bought another new one. It was the same as the first new one. It ran great for 3 months(when warranty was out) then started the same crap. It would occasionally stumble a die under WOT. The last straw was when I went to pull out into kinda heavy traffic, it died when I put my foot in it and pulled into the left lane. It almost got me run over. I went the next day and bought a Holley. No more stumbling, no more stalling, no more rich idle, and it ran alot better than the Edelburp did when new.

My last Edelbrock was on my 86 with a 305. The electronic Q-jet crapped out and I had to have a new carb. I wanted a Holley, but nobody had one. Also, if I were to get an Eddy, I wanted a 500, but nobdy had one and it would've been 3-4 days before getting one, and I need something right then. I ended up buying a 1406. It did the exact same crap the other 3 did. It ran good(despite being too big for the 305) for exactly 3 months, then went to crap again. I'm 0-4 on 1406 Edelbrocks and 4-0 on Holleys

Now, that said, the only good Edelbrock I've had was a 500 cfm that I traded with a co-worker to put on my 66 truck with a stock 350. That carb ran perfect, and was a great match to the stock 350. It was almost like having a EFI engine.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #100
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
Well, I got one. It ran perfect for about 3 months(right when the 90 day warranty was out), then it would spit, sputter, stall, was hard to start after warmed up, burned your eyes while idleing, and just plain old didn't have the pep it had when new. I had a guy take it apart and clean it. It did ok for a week. I ended up trading it for a rebuilt one. After about a month it did the same thing. So, I bought another new one. It was the same as the first new one. It ran great for 3 months(when warranty was out) then started the same crap.
The Ed's have a little computer chip in the bottom of the base plate that you HAVE to remove if you want them to run past the 90 day warranty period.