The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #101
Boog
laying low

Re: Olds powered 72 GMC

You ought to look into a hydrovac power brake unit. No vacumn booster. Would free up some room.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #102
Glennerd

Had to.
Attached Images

Glennerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #103
Glennerd

Thanks Boog! I found a newer 8" diaphram (guy replaced it last year) off another p/u. It should create enough room to clear everything. I think my new cab will most likely get cleared of most of the clutter. I looked into the system and it's pretty tidy.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #104
Glennerd

A pic of my buckets. I will most likely build a bit of a console. I'm going with a rear tank and taking out the one in the cab. I will be doing the tank swap last, so it should be interesting trying to pinpoint the seat configuration with the tank in the way. Won't know until I start ripping into it!
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #105
Glennerd

Re: Olds powered 72 GMC.

Picked up a lunar series 5" monster tach for $30 off craig's. My little honda driving friend had no clue what it was for and told me that it came with the car. He also complained that it cluttered up his vision and startled him when it went off. Blame it on the tach? Sold! I probably made the roads around here a bit safer, for a few minutes at least. I'm sure that the empty tach space has been filled with bobble head anime figures and a kleenex box by now.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #106
domeier

Re: Olds powered 72 GMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennerd View Post
I probably made the roads around here a bit safer, for a few minutes at least.
You need to sneak back over there in the middle of the night and unbolt the spoiler from his trunk lid. Those things add 60 hp to any Honda.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #107
Glennerd

Pulled my bench out and dropped in the buckets. Looks as if the mounts will be easy enough to make. These seats were in an 80 chev short box (originally from a hondu), but there was a heck of alot of room between them before. Almost too much. I didn't think that the 67-72 cabs were narrower. It sure appears that way at least. Anyone ever change the bulb in an autometer tach? I eat moose and bear, not mr. noodles and celery, so special little fingers are out of the question. The 2 screws are out of the reset assembly and it's loose, but what next? I can't get the lens out. If I turn the bezel, it wants to shear the wires. I couldn't find any pics, only something about small ring pliers.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #108
domeier

If that tach was any bigger, you'd have to drill a peephole in it to see the road!
Old 12-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #109
Glennerd

I agree. I set it up on there to get an idea of where it might fit. This tach was in a honda, so.... it needed to be a bit bigger to be seen? Unfortunately it also came with lights and a buzzer. Scary things to those who may only be a generation removed from the oxen drawn cart.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #110
Bert W

Hey! I resemble that comment! If a tach beeped at me, I would probably look at my cell phone. They beep now???
Bert W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #111
domeier

I want one bad, but I want an original dash tach. Damn shame that my wants and my wallet don't match up. In my next life, I'm going to be born into the royal family. Wait... no, scratch that - I can't wake up next to Camilla no matter how much money Mum gives me. Maybe I'll shoot for being one of Madonna's adopted African kids instead?
Old 12-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #112
Glennerd

I'm gonna put my tach where my speedo is. Pretty much the same size and because I have an Olds engine, I can multiply the big number on my tach by 10 and get my kph. Too bad you guys use imperial measurement down there. This brilliant formula of mine doesn't work in mph, sadly.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #113
Glennerd

Well, The weather outside is just a bit too cold for any serious wrenching on my 72. A bit on nice days but those will be few and far between for the next 4 months. So it's indoors to the garage where the Beaumont resides. Of course it's value is the first reason why the car gets garage priority (my truck is also too long). So the car teardown is underway. First thing is to replace the old 250ci 6cyl head with the fresh one I just bought. She had some smoke issues while under deceleration. Gonna sell the engine as a low mileage runner to recover a little bit of the cost. New frost plugs,seals, gaskets, chevy orange paint and someone has a great engine with a ton of life left in it. PM me if you have any interest in the engine. I also have the 2spd. 67,000 on both. I will post a few pics of the progress if anyone is interested. I don't want to p@ss anyone off by posting too many photos of the car, so I will try and get some work done on my truck as well. Even if I have to freeze my arse a bit. lol
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #114
Glennerd

I'm waiting for my early "Christmas" (that's what I call it) gift to myself to arrive. 64-66 Cutlass auto console. I found one without the factory tach and it creates a great location for the male anatomy extension of a tach that I already own. I love how the side chrome matches the corner profile of the bucket seats. And the back of the console that won't be seen, sadly, looks like the bad guy from the Thor movie.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #115
Glennerd

And... of course someone responds to my wtb ad for my hurst shifter console parts right after I send off for a 65 442 console for my 72 GMC. $25 for the un-used goodies (darn cheap) and so I bought them anyway. I'm into the shifter for $80 total and none of the parts that I collected (from 3 different people off craigslist) have ever been used except for the old school T-handle. The 442 console that I bought online has some pitted chrome and a friend of mine just purchased a 2 stage chrome paint that he swears by. I paid about $600 less for my console than what I would have paid if it was mint. I'm gonna try this product out and see how it looks and wears. Got the garage organized and the beaumont turned sideways so I can walk around it. The inline 6 will be on the engine stand in a day or 2 getting a good go over and clean-up. I want to have it running on the stand in fresh clothing before I post it for sale.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #116
Glennerd

Just in case anyone cares. What a pleasure this will be to work on compared to my 72. (speaking about the lack of sawzall blades, side grinder wheels and oxy/acetelyne tanks needed to remove bolts) I really hope you guy's don't mind me posting a few pics of the old beater. I won't ask for any advice, I promise! If you look closely, you can see a 72 GMC in the background on a couple of pics, so it's kinda truck oriented. lol
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #117
domeier

Are you sure you have enough tool chests to get the job done?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #118
Glennerd

2 of the chests are full of gas & pipe fitting tools. I guess some of those tools would cross over into the automotive category. Like the 36" pipe wrenches were for taking the valve covers off of my 72. The only bolts that came off with a wrench. lol
Old 12-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #119
Glennerd

Only 3 are chests, one is my sandblaster. Because 3 chests aren't too much, but 4 is. lol
Old 12-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #120
Glennerd

I'm extremely relieved to see no issues with the repair work done in the early 70's to the bottom of the a-pillar. The only accident that the car was ever in, required a new pass. fender as it also was pushed into the pillar. The seriousness was sooooooo over-played!!! The paint match was pretty bad, but that was it. Just a couple shots after a bit of de-greasing. I flaked off some of the crappy paint and found clean galvanized metal at the bottom of the pillar. I think all of you guys will appreciate why I don't feel it nescessary to completely restore this car yet. Even up here, these cars are extremely rare. This has to be the most beautiful, unmolested vehicle that I have ever taken apart. I had to pull the fender just to know for shure. It's good to know that I don't have to pull the other for quite a while! It's gonna earn a full restoration before it get's one.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #121
domeier

Wow, that's nuts crazy clean!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #122
Glennerd

Going saturday to look at a low mileage 72 350 olds and apparently an extra set of fresh #5 big valve heads. The guy says he has a forged 330ci crank he'll throw in as well. I hope to have some photos very soon. I've been looking for a while now.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #123
Glennerd

Anyone recognize this shifter boot? Apparently a Yenko/Hurst 4spd. application? I know it's the old school super-boot that isn't being made quite the same anymore. Bought it cuz it was cheap and kinda looked like it might be of some value to someone.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #124
Glennerd

Well, bought the makings for a nice little sbo motor. I bought a 67 cutlass parts car with a 330. Under 39,000 on the odometer, but under a tree for the last 23 years and toast. Pretty straight. Too bad. It has a good set of #4 heads on it (smallest compatible cc volume head) and a forged crank. Bolt on stuff for the 73 350 that I bought as well from the same guy. The 73-74 engines had a smaller dish in the piston but a larger head volume. The 73 350 and #4 head combo will yeild 10:1 with some milling. Will be picking up the 350 in the am and the car get's delivered end of next week. Can't wait to build up a hot little motor for the truck. Will keep you posted.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #125
Glennerd

Here's the new powerplant. I wasn't going to let down the true rocket guys, or myself for that matter, with an underpowered representation of an Olds motor. I should have the block magnafluxed by early next week. Cylinder ridge is practically non-exsistant. A hone, rings, and bearings if all pans out at the machine shop.
Attached Images