The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #51
Southpaw69

Re: Buying a old car/truck

I've learned a lot in this thread. I looked at a few of these old trucks before I found the one I got and they always asked that as well. After getting into mine I figured they just wanted to know how long before I found all the damage they had expertly hidden. Good to know some people just actually care about their old truck.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #52
bbrriiaann1973

I guess a seller is going to miss out on a sale because I wont tell them my plans with the truck. That's their loss. I dont flip vehicles I buy with the intention of keeping and plan on taking better care of their car or truck then they ever could. But then again that none of their business.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #53
Coley

Smile Re: Buying a old car/truck

...okay, I just have to bud in here for a sec...with another tractor pick, lol.

This was my Grandfather with his tractor on our family farm just outside of Drumheller, Alberta, taken probably around 1970.....I love this pic

Say, how did we get on the tractor thing again?..

All good
Coley
Attached Images

2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 10-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #54
bbrriiaann1973

Nice tractor but if I was going to buy it I still won't indulge what plans I had for it
Old 10-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #55
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Very interesting thread and as Eric said gives great insight into the personalities of the board members. I bought my truck from a young guy that was flipping the odd truck to make a couple of extra bucks as he had a young family. Because of some Work Orders that were in the glove box I tracked down the original owners son in 2016 who by this time was an old man. I found out some intersting things about the truck and even got a pic from when it was new. The point of my post is that in talking to him that he said he owned the truck until 2011 and over the years he would be approached asking if it was for sale and he said he turned everyone down cause they said thay were gonna slam, chop etc. the truck. Brian I do understand your point but you have to understand that as has been said a lot of these trucks are family heirlooms so yes people want to know what the intentions are for them..

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Old 10-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #56
bbrriiaann1973

I understand your point, my truck is a family heirloom and will be pasted down to my kids. If I had to sale the truck for what ever reason instead of giving it to my kids. Having a idea of what's going to happen to it will be none of my concern. I sure as hell dont want to give it to someone that's going to bring it by or call me every month and say this is what I did to it this time.

Different strokes Different folks
Old 10-21-2018, 11:24 PM   #57
rjs53

I sold my 67 Chevelle a couple months ago, had it for 18 years. Regret letting it go. Buyer said he was going to make a street rod out of it with ls motor. 2 months later he flipped it, had I known... I would still have the car. So ya make something up or you might not get it. Then again they might just be making conversation, That's part of the whole car thing.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:43 PM   #58
bbrriiaann1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs53 View Post
I sold my 67 Chevelle a couple months ago, had it for 18 years. Regret letting it go. Buyer said he was going to make a street rod out of it with ls motor. 2 months later he flipped it, had I known... I would still have the car. So ya make something up or you might not get it. Then again they might just be making conversation, That's part of the whole car thing.
Why did it bother you that he flipped it?
Old 10-22-2018, 01:00 AM   #59
cornerstone

I enjoy having a rapport when either buying or selling something that has limited availability and is unique, like old cars and trucks. As a buyer I find it opens the door politely to a reasonable negotiation if I think its overpriced at all. Since I don't add on to my desired price I don't take off either. I try to do my homework and be in the middle of the market price. Its satisfying for me to tell someone who thinks they are the next Gas Monkey jacka** "No thanks, I'll just let the next guy on the list come to see it, he seems to be very excited to look at it "
Old 10-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #60
Baime

Caring about the new owner's plans carries over to cabins too.

My cousin and I were trying to buy an old 1925 lake cabin a few years back.

We had been negotiating the sale through our realtors. We had questions about the place, and the seller/owner agreed to meet us at a local bar near the cabin to talk about it. This cabin needed a lot of work, but it had been in the owner's family since he was a young boy.

He was fairly certain whoever purchased the cabin would tear it down, and build a new cabin. When we told him we liked it as is, and had plans to restore it, and keep it as an old cabin, he said that we were the buyers he has been looking for. We came to a compromised agreement on the price, and he made sure the deal went through.

It was kind of fun. His whole attitude changed when he realized we could see something cool in that old cabin, and he obviously didn't want his childhood memories torn down. He has an open invite to visit for a beer whenever he is in the area.

Take care, JP
Old 10-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #61
Chris_oz

Hi all,

Interesting to read what each of us think about this, I really don’t mind what the next owners plan on doing to a vehicle I currently own, I would prefer it not to get chopped about, but if we all kept our trucks the same, it would be a boring old world.

My pet hate is being asked “how much did you pay for it” , I get this at service stations, hardware shops, everywhere, it seem that most people think it’s a perfectly reasonable way to begin a conversation. It does not seem to matter what I am driving, I have a couple of early Cadillacs, a 1965 Galaxie Convertible, a new GT Mustang and get asked on all of them nearly every drive.

I hate it with a passion, it is the No 1 most annoying thing, it has nothing to do with ANYONE else what I paid for something, for either a truck, bike, gun or anything else.

I had a visitor (friend of wife who I barely know) ask me how much we paid for our house, then seem annoyed when I didn’t tell her.

Rant over.

Chris
Old 10-22-2018, 10:54 PM   #62
rjs53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_oz View Post
Hi all,

Interesting to read what each of us think about this, I really don’t mind what the next owners plan on doing to a vehicle I currently own, I would prefer it not to get chopped about, but if we all kept our trucks the same, it would be a boring old world.

My pet hate is being asked “how much did you pay for it” , I get this at service stations, hardware shops, everywhere, it seem that most people think it’s a perfectly reasonable way to begin a conversation. It does not seem to matter what I am driving, I have a couple of early Cadillacs, a 1965 Galaxie Convertible, a new GT Mustang and get asked on all of them nearly every drive.

I hate it with a passion, it is the No 1 most annoying thing, it has nothing to do with ANYONE else what I paid for something, for either a truck, bike, gun or anything else.

I had a visitor (friend of wife who I barely know) ask me how much we paid for our house, then seem annoyed when I didn’t tell her.

Rant over.

Chris
I agree, its nobody's business how much I payed for my last project or my house. Ive had people ask though and hour right they seem upset if you don't tell them.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:08 PM   #63
rjs53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrriiaann1973 View Post
Why did it bother you that he flipped it?
It bothered because I didn't ask want he was going to with it. He made a point to bring it up. Why ask to buy a car and start lying for no reason. A couple months later I also sold my 65 el camino. The guy came right out and told me he was going to make it a straight axle high boy, which I thought was cool. Whatever the new owners are going to do their gonna do. Chip Foose builds cool stuff, but if everyone built the same kinda car it would be a pretty boring hobby. You gotta have passion and vision, and be sociable
Old 10-23-2018, 12:05 AM   #64
rechinca

I guess I don’t see what the big deal is about asking? If you are so annoyed then don’t buy and you probably have that idea after the first contact about buying/selling. Personally I like to know the history and get a feel for the owner. It also lets me know how the vehicle was treated prior to me getting it. Sure I can tell by inspecting it, but what’s the harm in digging? And yeah, someone tells me they are going to do something I don’t like it’s also my perogative to NOT sell it to them. I have more right to sell it/not sell it than you do to buy it. To me it’s also part of the brotherhood and fun. Plus it sometimes leads you to other deals, parts, hell even friendships. Met some great friends and car buddies that way. Sure you have the right to be annoyed, but what does it hurt? Maybe they want to check out the great work you are going to do to it in the future.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #65
Grumpy old man

I don't buy others dreams ,I buy my own , If someone has a truck for sale and they want it finished to their specs or kept the way it is then they should state that in their ad and find "that buyer" , Not that it would make much difference ,Once it's sold the buyer can do whatever they want to it and getting upset over it is a waste of time . If someone is selling an unfinished project I'm looking at the parts that are there Not to continue their dream or make friends

(making friends with sellers off Craigslist or ebay maybe a little sketchy at best )

The back story all though interesting means very little in the end . I buy projects that's what interests me ,stripping them down to the bare bones and bringing them back to MY vision . I bought a running driving 67 long bed ,Sold the bed for what I paid for the whole truck. it's down to the bare frame and gave up it's front suspension this week for one of my short bed projects . In the end once someone gives up or needs the money and sells ...It's gone . The old saying still goes . Take a picture it will last longer .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Old 10-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #66
rechinca

Grumpy you are right, once you buy it is yours but it’s not always a project that is getting sold that someone couldn’t finish. I’ll throw out my wife’s 71 F250. It was going to be bought as a project to drop and convert into a half ton. While inspecting it and poking around, I found some interesting history on the truck including the original owners WWII armored unit medallion on the grille, his bible in the door pocket and his fishing map with notes in the glove box. The seller was cleaning out the estate for the family. I ended up with a pretty cherry truck in great original shape and it re-directed our plans for the truck into a semi-restoration. I stay in touch with the seller as he has some great stuff from estates and I get farm fresh eggs on the cheap.

The thing is it’s not wrong to ask, it’s not wrong to not ask, it’s not wrong to not sell your product to someone you don’t want to. But to get mad because someone asks, for whatever reason, is silly. There is always another truck or abandoned project down the line. I’m more pissed about the jack wagons who misrepresent their “one of one and super rare” and waste my time. I can gauge a lot about a buyer/seller based on conversation that only takes a couple of minutes.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #67
rechinca

And for the record Brian, in the case of your truck, you have a great personal history with your truck. It’s a great looking example and your history and knowledge would make me pay a little more just because I know about it. Someone’s unfinished project that they want me to complete to their specs, I don’t want to even look at or pay for.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:45 PM   #68
bbrriiaann1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by rechinca View Post
And for the record Brian, in the case of your truck, you have a great personal history with your truck. It’s a great looking example and your history and knowledge would make me pay a little more just because I know about it. Someone’s unfinished project that they want me to complete to their specs, I don’t want to even look at or pay for.
I dont mind sharing my trucks story to people at a car show or at a swap meet. But if I am looking to buy a truck and i have a plan in mind of what I want to do with the truck. Then I feel its necessary to keep those visions to myself.

How can a person expect me to have the same vision they have or want?
Old 10-23-2018, 10:17 PM   #69
jocko

Sounds like you're assuming the seller will hold your vision against you somehow if it differs from theirs - or that they even want you to carry out their vision. If they still had a vision for it, they wouldn't be selling it. People sell cars for money. Or space. Or money. Or divorce, which equals money.

I'd submit that an "it's none of your business" response (or attitude) to a seller interested in your plans is much less likely to improve the chances he will sell it to you than if you were to just share your plans, no matter what they are, or politely say "not sure yet" or "I don't know, just gonna enjoy it". Just don't understand the anger about a seller's interest in the future of what is currently his own vehicle.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with any seller asking that question. Period.

You posted and asked for our thoughts on this - and most every post has echoed a similar sentiment - that it's really no big deal at all. But I'm curious why you asked for our thoughts in the first place - doesn't appear it has affected your perspective. Were you expecting a bunch of people to pile on and say "yeah, I just hate when that happens!!" Anyway, we all have pet peeves, no worries. But. maybe don't be so hard on the old feller who truly loves his truck enough to actually care what happens to it even if he has chosen to sell it. Sometimes people sell because of circumstances (ref divorce=money comment above) and truly hate to see the truck go.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:49 PM   #70
bbrriiaann1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Sounds like you're assuming the seller will hold your vision against you somehow if it differs from theirs - or that they even want you to carry out their vision. If they still had a vision for it, they wouldn't be selling it. People sell cars for money. Or space. Or money. Or divorce, which equals money.

I'd submit that an "it's none of your business" response (or attitude) to a seller interested in your plans is much less likely to improve the chances he will sell it to you than if you were to just share your plans, no matter what they are, or politely say "not sure yet" or "I don't know, just gonna enjoy it". Just don't understand the anger about a seller's interest in the future of what is currently his own vehicle.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with any seller asking that question. Period.

You posted and asked for our thoughts on this - and most every post has echoed a similar sentiment - that it's really no big deal at all. But I'm curious why you asked for our thoughts in the first place - doesn't appear it has affected your perspective. Were you expecting a bunch of people to pile on and say "yeah, I just hate when that happens!!" Anyway, we all have pet peeves, no worries. But. maybe don't be so hard on the old feller who truly loves his truck enough to actually care what happens to it even if he has chosen to sell it. Sometimes people sell because of circumstances (ref divorce=money comment above) and truly hate to see the truck go.

I asked the question because I dont feel the need to indulge the information when I am buying or ask for the information when I am selling. What really makes me mad is that they ask for the information not because they just want to talk but because they are looking for a reason not to sell it to me! Which I think is ridiculous! Imagine for a minute if I said I wont selll this truck to you because of your skin color. Now would that be acceptable? No! So why should it be acceptable to refuse to sell to a person if you dont like what they want to do with?

They only thing that should matter is does the buy have the cash/loan to purchase the vehicle or anything for that matter.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:58 PM   #71
dmjlambert

So did somebody refuse to sell you a truck you really wanted badly because you told them something they didn't want to hear when they asked what are your plans? Is that why you are mad?
Old 10-23-2018, 10:59 PM   #72
guyryan100

I see selling my truck or my dog as a similar emotional process. Some transactions aren't strictly financial. No need to get too bothered by it, it just is what it is. There are other buyers and other sellers out there.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:30 AM   #73
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrriiaann1973 View Post
I asked the question because I dont feel the need to indulge the information when I am buying or ask for the information when I am selling. What really makes me mad is that they ask for the information not because they just want to talk but because they are looking for a reason not to sell it to me! Which I think is ridiculous! Imagine for a minute if I said I wont selll this truck to you because of your skin color. Now would that be acceptable? No! So why should it be acceptable to refuse to sell to a person if you dont like what they want to do with?

They only thing that should matter is does the buy have the cash/loan to purchase the vehicle or anything for that matter.

Get over it
It’s their truck
And
They can make the decision who they want to sell it to

Period
Old 10-24-2018, 12:36 AM   #74
Chevyland

But since you started such a good thread
Pm me your address
So
I can send you

No strings attached
You can do whatever you want with it
Old 10-24-2018, 12:55 AM   #75
GIZZ

Sort of along the same lines as this. Twice now buying a car from friends, "I'll sell it to you but you can't sell it" Huh? Well, I kept my word and still have the GN after all these years. I never did buy the other truck, cuz I didn't want to take it to the grave with me.

'69 c10 panel, '75 c35 flatdeck car hauler
Closed Thread