The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
FireTyrant

Restore thread for my 59

Let me give you a back story on this truck. This truck was passed down to me from my late father. This truck is something that him and I went on a ton of road trips and camping trips as a kid. He even built a tent frame out of 2x4's that when in the bed and a huge tarp went over it. When we would go camping, this is where we slept. This truck was to be my first car when I was in high school, but do to my bad grades, I never was able to get it. So when he moved 2.5 hours away he took the truck with him and it sat in his garage for 12 years, never to be turned over again. Well he passed away last year and now that financials have been put in order, I get to finally do some work in it and restore it.

This picture shows it on a trailer getting ready to make a very long trip to Albuquerque, NM from the bay area in California. My girlfriends dad has decided to help me get her running again so that I can drive it once more. I cried when this car transported out. Well right now I am in Albuquerque, nm to see what I can do to it in a week.

This is a 1959 Chevy Pickup Stepside Longbed 3/4 ton. I've got 8 lug wheels on it which I am really not sure what to do with yet. It has a built Chevy 350 with a broken 5 speed M/T. I have all the original badges and grill it's just not shown. Unfortunately the motor is seized and will not turn over even after been towed. This is what drained out of the oil pan.

We have decided to just pull the motor out of his chevy truck, which has a running 350 and automatic transmission and put it in mine. So right now I am 2k into this resto project not including the transportation cost. His truck will later be parted out and sold. I will keep you guys' posted on what year truck it is incase any of you may be interested.

What my plans are for this build, well right now it's just getting it running and functioning. I will be worrying about the details later, but I feel that it's important to get it running first.
FireTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Kim57

Re: Restore thread for my 59

Welcome.
Looks like a nice truck to start with.
Kim
Old 12-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Daze57

welcome to the board from sin city
good lookin project
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
1adam12

Congrats on the truck. Looks like were in the same town give me a holler if you need some help on anything.
1adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
FireTyrant

So yesterday on my truck, All we really did was get the transmission out. Spent most of the time working on another car getting new lower control arms installed. Spent a lot of time on the passenger side only to realize they had given us 2 control arms that were the same side. Eventually we got it on there. I had spent a majority of my time driving back and forth from part stores or harbor freight to get tools, cause everytime it seemed like we were truckin along, I needed something else. So like I said all I was able to really do was get the transmission out. Today, HOPEFULLY, the engine will be gone.

My concern right now is getting new motor mounts installed correctly, since the ones my dad fabbed up put the distributor right up against the fire wall. I also one of the header tubes had to be dented cause it leaned on the steering box. When I get the engine installed correctly, I will have to do some research on getting a proper set on headers installed. I will have some pictures today of the engine bay hopefully showing the header issue.

Also anyone know where I can source some decent used doors that have very minimal rust. I really do not want to spend 1000 on two doors off LMC?

@1Adam12 When my truck is running safely and I'm able to bring it back from Albuquerque. I would love to show you the truck in all it's rusted glory

Last edited by FireTyrant; 12-05-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: one last thing to say
FireTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
alaska gasser

If your doors are in decent shape, I would just patch the bottoms. If you found a great pair and they were not local, the shipping and the cost of them would add up quickly.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592769 My daughter's '46 International PU
alaska gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Highsider

LMC has the lower door patches, both inner and outer.
Next week my body shop will be installing them on both doors.
I am sure I will hear feedback.
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
OrrieG

Keep in mind if you are going to run an HEI type distributor the engine will need to be even a little more forward. I got lucky when I placed mine and still have good clearance. Rams horns will solve the header problem, be quieter, reduce engine compartment and cab heat and not need replaced when they rust out!
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote