The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2015, 07:06 PM   #26
Grumpy old man

Re: Factory # match or custom

WHOA , HOLD THE BOAT !

There's no money to be made restoring or customizing and reselling these old trucks ? or any muscle car ?

Let's clarify that ,

There's NO money to be made IF YOU have to pay someone to do it for you !

Shop rates are high and going higher , Quality work is expensive and the number of shops are dwindling fast and horse power used to be made by displacement and quality machining not throwing a bottle of nitrous at a stock engine or slipping in a chip to the fast death of that tweaked stock engine with bolt on mods

You have to buy your truck right not pay retail , you have to know what to look for and whats involved in repairing it .

I've met more than a few guys just this year that sold me their factory sheet metal for pennies on the dollar thinking they would have a better end product of their build buying new overseas sheet metal from a retail parts house . Yeah , I know it's the instant gratification thing . Oh look smooth shiny metal in a box delivered by UPS overnight . Why waste time cutting ,welding , sanding and priming for days if not weeks on that old rusty fender ? When I can have a brand new one ! Well ... Most of it is just junk , doesn't fit and there's no such thing as a "brand new" 1967 fender unless it's NOS . I've driven 200 miles for a sweet tailgate just to find out the seller wants one without Chevrolet stamped into it and then calls me days later to ask if I can send him back the latch and rods because his "new one" didn't come with all the parts

Build whatever you like but realize if you can't build it yourself and be able to find the parts you need and not pay retail you will loose money in the end ! But if it's what you want who's to say it's not the right thing to do ?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #27
leftybass209

Re: Factory # match or custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I'm sure you meant to include this, but you can of course get it down to the exact model year AND in a truck AND with the transmission that matches based on the 6-digit code. So the closest you can get is:

- It came in that year of truck
- It came with the transmission option listed on the SPID
- It was built within a reasonable time window before the truck was
Yes, thanks for clarifying that! I usually don't do assumptions and inferences because it is easily dismissed or disputed,so what did I do? I assumed what you stated was implied in my post!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote