The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2023, 07:13 AM   #1
Oberon67

Fix for sticky tailgate latch?

Hi all. Due to what I assume is internal rust, the tailgate latch on my '81 C10 opens just fine, but the springs won't pull the bolts closed again. I can get them to return to the at-rest position by popping the latch screws out and pulling on the latch assembly with a flat bar; the bolts pop out with a BANG and after that the tailgate is good for exactly one (1) latching and opening cycle, and after that it's stuck open again.

I have sprayed PB Blaster, WD-40 and white lithium grease everywhere I can get access to a mechanical part in this tailgate assembly. I doubt I'm the first person to have this problem.

What's the fix?
Oberon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 08:37 AM   #2
TKCR

Re: Fix for sticky tailgate latch?

Take them out and soak them for rust removal and gunk build up. You’ll know for for sure when you remove all the parts what is actually causing the issue.
I took all my parts out when I replaced the handle. Cleaned up all the other parts associated with the tailgate. Even replaced the foam that goes around the rods inside the tailgate. Those pretty much were disintegrated. And that could be the issue also, the rods. They could be binding up.
Then the last order of tailgate business was to take care of the fit and finish. One side had a pretty big gap, where the other side was pretty much rubbing.
After everything was done, the tailgate is much better!
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:01 AM   #3
Oberon67

Re: Fix for sticky tailgate latch?

Yeah, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and fish all these parts out of the tailgate, all the while wishing that GM had designed in some kind of access panel. OK, well, here we go I guess...
Oberon67 is offline   Reply With Quote