The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
69Tom

trucks with carpet

Once I get to that stage, I'll be adding carpet to my truck. It originally came with a rubber mat. Did the carpeted trucks have anything different than those with a mat (i.e. kick panels)? I assume something was there to hold the carpet down on the sides near the kick panel area.

Also, I'm going with a bed located gas tank. What are those doing with that area? I remember there used to be a good carpet kit that went behind the seat, but I don't think they're being made anymore. But maybe I'm mistaken.

Thanks for the info in advance.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
OARNGESI

Re: trucks with carpet

You can buy carpeted kick panels or kick panels with speakers or make your own they are easy. No real reason to run carpet to the back wall it won’t be used or seen maybe slight insulation. Also in my truck nothing is going behind the seat except a couple 6x9 speaker boxes.
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
69Tom

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. What did trucks with carpet from the factory have different than trucks that didn't have it?

Thanks.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
Salmcc

I am at the same stage on my truck. It seems my truck kick panels were painted, but I am considering carpeted kick panels with speakers
Salmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
Orange67

My truck came factory with carpet (CST). There isn't anything by the kick panels to secure the carpet, it is actually stiff enough you dont need it. I replaced mine a few years back because you could see more of the matting and floorboard than carpet. I forget what brand, if you do a seach on here I know it will pop up. It fit great, with very little modification. As far as behind the seat, my original carpet didnt go much further than the front of the seat, I know this new one goes all the way back.

Edit- the old carpet did go all the way down both side of the seat, just underneath the seat stopped close to the front.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
100%Chevy

My 68 with buddy buckets has carpet under them and carpet that hangs down in front of the gas tank.
I can't say it's original but it looks it!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #7
Orange67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Chevy View Post
My 68 with buddy buckets has carpet under them and carpet that hangs down in front of the gas tank.
I can't say it's original but it looks it!
Mike.
Yeah my truck has buddy buckets with the carpet over the tank too. I wish I had pics, but I swear my original carpet didnt go all the way back under the seat. I might be wrong, I suffer from C.R.C (cant remember crap)

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:51 PM   #8
tx71smallblock

brothers has a nice kit that comes with sound deadener, insulation and optional carpet for low/high hump and with or without gas tank

Owned:
71 longbed Cheyenne
70 swb
tx71smallblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:27 AM   #9
100%Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange67 View Post
Yeah my truck has buddy buckets with the carpet over the tank too. I wish I had pics, but I swear my original carpet didnt go all the way back under the seat. I might be wrong, I suffer from C.R.C (cant remember crap)
I think on mine it goes under the edge at the side of the seats,not the whole thing.
Bad wording on my part!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:29 AM   #10
FirstOwner69

The 1st picture below is of the original carpet from my '69 CST with factory buckets and console. As mentioned above, neither the pad or carpet extended under the seats, and it just butts against the kick panels. All currently made carpet that I've seen extends at least to the front of the gas tank. ACC carpet IS also available to extend to the back of the cab if the tank has been removed.

ACC makes various varieties of carpet. I used the 80/20 loop (what GM used). I added the mass backing option which provides additional insulation sound deadening and rigidity. They also make rear wall carpet for all generations but the 67-72s. For the 67-72s they make carpet to cover the gas tank. The original gas tank carpet was molded. I don't believe their version is. However, without a tank, you might be able to use the rear wall covering for a square body.

I found the best price at Rock Auto (https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,flooring,1264) and more complete info and free samples at Stock Interiors (https://www.stockinteriors.com/items...88&MainCatId=1) I also bought their carpeted floor mats.

The additional pictures below are of my ACC carpet installed. The carpet covering the gas tank is original.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 02-07-2019 at 01:46 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #11
J kippin

I used an ACC carpet kit that fit great and went all the way back to the tank. I heated up an awl with a torch to open up the holes for the seat belt and the seat slider bolts. Before installing the carpet I cleaned up the floors and laid down some Dyna-mat for sound and heat then installed the carpets with the supplied jute backing.
Name:  71 10 001.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  76.4 KB
J kippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:30 PM   #12
Madkidd007

To answer your question, it’s the same as the rubber mat
Syclone killer AWD T56 LS

Paypal please pay as Goods&Services Madkidd00000007@yahoo.com
Madkidd007 is offline   Reply With Quote