The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #1
weim55

Where can I obtain good quality '67 front fenders?

I have a pair of repop front fenders that came with my '67 C10 at purchase. Quality-fitment is so bad they are usable only for beater-driver. Anyone have experience with quality repops or a source for good used? Willing to go quality '68s new if that's an only option.

Thanks,

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:03 AM   #2
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Re: Where can I obtain good quality '67 front fenders?

This is just my opinion, but I suggest you be patient and look a while longer for some originals. I was also getting frustrated trying to find 67 fenders, but I got lucky and found a set upstate on Dregslist (my word for Craigslist). Factory original 1967 fenders are HARD to find but they most certainly are out there waiting to be bought.
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
mr.precision

The repop stuff is mostly junk. Poor fit.
I see good used fenders occasionally here in Arizona and will keep an eye open for some. I believe that is your best bet.
mr.precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #4
Sheepdip

My theory is and always has been when you are putting together a project vehicle you have to be willing to purchase other parts only vehicles for the parts you want, and then unload the excess parts you don't want.

This has always been my best option for getting good used fenders, doors etc
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #5
weim55

I resigned to the fact that yes, I'll have to go the way of finding good originals. That said, in two years, I have yet to come across a decent pair of OEMs. I too, have always gone the route of purchasing a complete parts vehicle in the past. But those as well are few and far between. I do know of two trucks complete that have the fenders I need, even the price is right to get my money back parting out, but I'm not into ripping apart good specimens anymore just to pluck a few good feathers.

I was just hoping maybe the aftermarket was catching up with the popularity of these trucks and offering a quality alternative. The demand is absolutely there even at three times the price of the current junk on the market. Maybe in a few more years........

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #6
darrellyates

I have the opposite opinion of everybody here.

I am of the opinion that fitment of fenders is poor regardless if they are original or reproduction.

I took pictures of about 300 trucks at the Chevy truck nationals over two years because I wasn't happy with the fit of the fenders, (reproduction) on the first '68 I built.

In the course of my study, I found very few fenders/hoods that actually fit. I would venture that less than 10% of them actually have/had decent lines. I found trucks people swore were original that the fit was no better than that of my aftermarket fenders, and some of course were much better. Maybe it depends on which factory produced and/or assembled, or how early/late the trucks were, or how much abuse they have had... I am of the opinion that fit/finish of these vehicles was poor from the factory...

My main complaint wasn't door gaps, but the fit of the fender/hood, particularly on the passenger side between the hood and front fender (toward the front, let's say the front 40% of the gap toward the grille). Nearly all aftermarket hoods are about 1/2 inch proud, it just looks like the curve of the hood is off. And, I found "factory" pieces that weren't any better.

For the record, the reproduction front fenders for 1968 trucks are much more accurate than people give them credit for, as I found when I inspected a high profile truck (from this website) that the builder (a professional) swore were originals. Aftermarket fenders replicate the error built into these fenders nearly perfectly. (And yes, I fixed this on my truck... If you know me, and talk to me about it, I'll show you on nearly any 1968 truck...)

I just went with clean (read rust free), new after-market fenders and made them fit. Yes, there was a good deal of bodywork involved. However, I don't think it was any more than would have been required to fix/align originals. And, overall, it was faster. I truly hate dealing with rust....

The tradeoff's in my opinion are that "factory" fenders may be slightly thicker. Maybe. I really couldn't tell much difference after media blasting. Used fenders will cost a little less than reproduction fenders. After cleaning, fixing rust, you still are going to do alignment work. With the reproduction stuff, you just go straight to the "fitment" part of the work. The real benefit, is that you are keeping things "all GM"... ALL aftermarket stuff comes from overseas. From a cost basis, I'm not sure there is really much difference. And, most original stuff you find has already been "worked", which may or may not be good. If it hasn't been, it's going to be expensive to buy...

So, just be prepared for bodywork whichever way you go depending on how picky you are. For the record, I'm picky. And, I'm satisfied with the end result.
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote