The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
VWNate1

Post Re: how about some pics of inline 6 engines

I think you're in the wrong forum for this question as S-10's never had InLine 6 Cylinder engines .

I know the good people here can help you but you need to reach the Hot Rod guys , not us plodding stockers...

-Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin thunder View Post
rebuilding mine out of a 84 c10, i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on cam upgrades.. i want something meaner than stock but idk wher to go or what to get.
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
rollin thunder

Re: how about some pics of inline 6 engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
I think you're in the wrong forum for this question as S-10's never had InLine 6 Cylinder engines .

I know the good people here can help you but you need to reach the Hot Rod guys , not us plodding stockers...

-Nate
c10 not s10 its a custom deluxe/c10 chevy shortbed and the inline six 250 was stock
rollin thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
VWNate1

Red face Re: how about some pics of inline 6 engines

OOPS ! DUH ! I really oughta not go OnLine until I've had my Coffee ! .

Sorry about that .

If it has the 250 CID thinwall , it's really easy to wake up , first and foremost , ditch the muffler ! with a long exhaust pipe to the rear bumper , it won't be loud atall ~ hard to believe I know but I used to haul in Bel Air sans muffler and I never got any tickets .

Anyways , there are multiple cams available but the basic 1 ton cam is the best for a street driven engine . ' race ' cams always make off idle performance crappy so beware before you wa$te $$ .

You can also use two or three single barrel carbys to unleash amazing power -BUT- ~ these thinwall engines don't live long when run hard or revved a lot .

For the beginning , open the spark plug gaps up to .060" and experiment with the basic timing from about 10° BTDC @ idle , then stamp on the throttle in top gear @c 35 MPH , if no ping , give it one more degree idle advance and try again ~ when you hear it ping as you stamp the throttle @ 35 MPH in top gear , stop and back it off one degree and lock it down ~ these thrifty engines are very peppy stock when tuned sharply . the " Throttle Ping Test " was part of GM Dealer / Factory training back when I was young and it really works .

Try the basic tuning bits I describe before going to Tom Langdon etc. for multi-carby intakes and headers , most exhaust headers are worthless in L6 engines and make them run worse until past 4,000 RPM's anyway .

Apparently , InLiner Tuning is a lost art but it's simple : just experiment as each engine combination needs things a little bit different .

Keep us posted .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote