The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #301
~Whitey~

Re: Project 69SWB

after what seem like forever and a day of welding this back up real slow...

Name:  69Chevy_driverside6.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  35.6 KB

I ground down the welds... couldn't make up my mind if I wanted a dummy filler neck, then just decided to fill it in...

Name:  69Chevy_driverside7.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  36.2 KB

Name:  69Chevy_driverside9.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  30.5 KB

There's more to this repair but I didn't get pics, will try to take some tonight and put them in with it.. But basically I had to move the entire rocker about a 1/4 inch forward... and I also added a strip of 18 gauge down the door line to make the gap even.... I'll get some pics of that when I get the door back on during sanding and blocking.

Last edited by ~Whitey~; 07-09-2013 at 11:05 AM.
~Whitey~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #302
~Whitey~

Next on to something ALOT more fun than metal work! Got my 4/6 Drop from ECE... it went on like butter and after leaning in and out of the truck while I was getting the interior ready for paint and smacking the back of my head on the door jam multiple times... I finally got it through my head that the truck sat much lower now! ;-)

You can see the difference between what I took off and the ECE drop

Name:  69Chevy_ECEdrop.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  69Chevy_ECEdrop1.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  35.7 KB

Glad I did this, it gave me chance to buy the dust shields and get them on there...

Name:  69Chevy_ECEdrop2.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  46.0 KB

Name:  69Chevy_ECEdrop3.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  69Chevy_ECEdrop4.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  50.6 KB

Didn't take pics of the back, but will tonight and get them uploaded...

Last edited by ~Whitey~; 07-09-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #303
~Whitey~

I've also got the interior painted, didn't take alot of pics of it, and now it's all masked off... but I couldn't be happier how it turned out...

Someone had put a gun rack or something in before, so I had to fix that and a few other holes here and there for who knows what...
Name:  69Chevy_interiorpaint.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  69Chevy_interiorpaint1.jpg
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  69Chevy_interiorpaint2.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  108.0 KB

I bought a new spray gun and it makes a heck of a difference... Devil Bliss Finish Line 4

as with everything else... Treated the bare metal with Fast Etch and PRE from Eastwood, then laid down PPG Black Epoxy, then PPG Grey Polyester Primer, did body work with Evercoat Rage Gold and Glazing putty, covered all that with PPG Black Epoxy thinned down as a Sealer, then straight to paint.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #304
~Whitey~

I had some wavyness in the edges of my drivers door that made the door to fender gap not so pleasing to look at, so this is what I did to fix that...

welded a bead and then ground it down smooth and straight.. again.. not all pics I should have taken.

Name:  69Chevy_driverrdoor3.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  99.1 KB

You can see at the bottom of this pic how far I had to move the rocker forward to get my gaps smaller.

Name:  69Chevy_driverrdoor1.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  36.4 KB

started stripping the door and found a previous repair.. all holes like this, and trim holes as well I weld up instead of using filler.

Name:  69Chevy_driverrdoor4.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  99.7 KB

Last edited by ~Whitey~; 07-09-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #305
~Whitey~

Took a break from the door because I really just wanted to get my fenders lined out and in primer... You can see in the pics I have the whole cab in primer now, but don't have pics of that process. Plan is to get the fenders, doors and cab in primer, do body work and blocking while it's all together then take it apart to paint it all.

I took these fenders off my parts truck (which went to the scrap yard last week) little surface rust, but they are originals and that's why I'm using them.
The previous owner of the parts truck had filled in the marker on the drivers side and instead of trying to meticulously grind out the welds and get it back to what it was I decided to just cut the marker hole from another fender I had that had damage to it and splice it in.

Name:  69Chevy_driverfender.jpg
Size:  42.9 KB

After the repair...

Name:  69Chevy_driverfender2.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  34.6 KB

Still working on stripping it down to bare metal.. You can see one of my distractions in the background from working on the truck... :-/

Name:  69Chevy_driverfender1.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  107.0 KB
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #306
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice work on the cab and fender Jimmy. I bet that took some serious time to stitch that weld in. I can appreciate all your hard work on the doors too. I have just spent months on my doors, fenders and bed sides. It's slow going for sure even you aren't distracted by bikes keep up the hard work.

Nice work on the paint inside too!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #307
Low Elco

Wow, that takes guts! Looks great in the end. Excellent work!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #308
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Nice work on fixing that door gap. I would have been scared to death to cut my cab like that!

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #309
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Very nice work on the cab and fender Jimmy. I bet that took some serious time to stitch that weld in. I can appreciate all your hard work on the doors too. I have just spent months on my doors, fenders and bed sides. It's slow going for sure even you aren't distracted by bikes keep up the hard work.

Nice work on the paint inside too!

Thanks a bunch Mike.. I'm saving the bed for last, plus I'm trying to save up money for it so I can put wood back in it. YES, it took forever for that big stitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Wow, that takes guts! Looks great in the end. Excellent work!
Thanks Low Elco! I gotta get over to all you guys threads and see where you're at... Haven't parused the site for a month-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
Nice work on fixing that door gap. I would have been scared to death to cut my cab like that!
I was hesistant, but didn't see any other choice that would be right (in my mind). :-/
Old 07-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #310
Xeen

That was definately an extreme way to fix a door gap issue hehe.
That took some guts and I don't doubt you were nervous anyone would have been.
I'm just wondering if removing the outter rocker, pie slicing the floor and shortening the inner rocker then pulling the B-Pillar forward would have accomplished the same thing.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #311
vegadesign

very cool build, good work!
loving the green too !!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=564028
vegadesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #312
Bennett68C10

Great job Jimmy, truck looks great. Nice job on the metal work.

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #313
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
That was definately an extreme way to fix a door gap issue hehe.
That took some guts and I don't doubt you were nervous anyone would have been.
I'm just wondering if removing the outter rocker, pie slicing the floor and shortening the inner rocker then pulling the B-Pillar forward would have accomplished the same thing.
Thanks Brian. It may have fixed it towards the bottom, but I doubt I would have fixed the gap at the top of the door on the inside. Would have had to pie slice the roof too I think... And actually im not sure it woukd even pull together due to the cab mounts. That's why I sliced up a high as I did. The gap problem was on the inside above the door handle as well... About half way up to roof. Plus, completely removing the rocker was not an option as it is welded in pretty solid. I actually took a 1/4 in out of the back where I sliced the rocker itself and added a quarter to the front. Essentially the same as moving it forward without removing it and throwing off the how the door closes into it at the front by the fender. It's confusing I know but it fits great now. Also cutting into the floor and welding it all back up wasn't an option either since I've already done the underneath of the cab an Herculined it and after typing this all out and thinking about it, think the cab mounts would prevent it from closing the gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegadesign View Post
very cool build, good work!
loving the green too !!
Thanks Vegadesign! I love green against black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L View Post
Great job Jimmy, truck looks great. Nice job on the metal work.
Thanks Keith, appreciate it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by ~Whitey~; 07-09-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #314
Bomp

Nice work on the door/cab/filler hole/fender marker light/ you've got some serious metal working skillz.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #315
67c10rustbuket

Great job pulling the gaps in. That was an extreme gap Adjustment!
Where did you get your disk brake backing plates? All I have found new are chrome
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #316
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Nice work on the door/cab/filler hole/fender marker light/ you've got some serious metal working skillz.
Hey now what about my lowering kit installing skills? :-)
Thanks Bomp, as always coming from a pro, I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Great job pulling the gaps in. That was an extreme gap Adjustment!
Where did you get your disk brake backing plates? All I have found new are chrome
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! the dust shields... I ordered them from Early Classic Enterprises.. These were galvanized and I primed them with etching primer, then painted them, but of course sanding before and in between. They are made for the drop spindles but they have ones for stock spindles too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #317
TexasLS1

What'd did you use as paint for your frame/suspension parts? Plan to paint a sway bar and then control arms when I lower mine, but not sure what's best to use..

Awesome build, I look forward to seeing more!!
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #318
jmking9

Nice work Jimmy, this thing is looking great! I was worried that you might have lost interest since this is Jeep season. I know the feeling, I told myself I could get another Jeep when the 70 was done. Well, the truck has been done (for the most part) for about two weeks, and I have already got another Jeep in the driveway.
Anyway, the trucks looking killer, keep up the good work. BTW, are you going to Riverside in Sept? I might try to make it.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #319
Low Elco

come on come on, We'd love to have ya!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #320
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLS1 View Post
What'd did you use as paint for your frame/suspension parts? Plan to paint a sway bar and then control arms when I lower mine, but not sure what's best to use..

Awesome build, I look forward to seeing more!!
Hey thanks for the props! Well they're are so many options as to what you can use, for me when it came to the frame and suspension parts, because of money at the time... I wire brushed the dirt off, then stripped to bare metal with a stripper disc, used degreaser, then sprayed with a rust convertor (from Oreillys) be sure to let it dry first for 24 hours before painting on top of it, Used etching primer, sanded it, then used Rustoleums Black Hammered Paint for the frame (turns out Charcoal Grey) and I Used Rustoleums Industrial Gloss Black for everything else. I was not chinsy on the coats either... They're better ways to go about it, alot of people swear by the POR products, others like Eastwoods Frame paint, but really it's all in the prep. If you prep it good, pretty much anythings going to stick and stay for a long time... A friend of mine used rustoleum on his frame 10 years ago and it still looks great and didn't cost him an arm and a leg, which is why I went ahead with it. I guess if money is no object, have your stuff sandblasted and powder coated, that would be ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
Nice work Jimmy, this thing is looking great! I was worried that you might have lost interest since this is Jeep season. I know the feeling, I told myself I could get another Jeep when the 70 was done. Well, the truck has been done (for the most part) for about two weeks, and I have already got another Jeep in the driveway.
Anyway, the trucks looking killer, keep up the good work. BTW, are you going to Riverside in Sept? I might try to make it.
Thanks! I sold the Jeep to help finance the Harley, so it's been Harley Season for the last couple months, but I'm going to build another Jeep after the truck is done. Congrats on your new Jeep, they're ALOT of fun. Riverside I'd love to come, but I know the truck won't be done or even able to start by that time. I still have body work, paint, wiring, sound deadening, interior this and that... and the list goes on.. I know I'll be busy busy this winter because this thing is gonna be cruising next spring/summer if it's the last thing I do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
come on come on, We'd love to have ya!
I'd love to come, even without my truck, maybe the wife and I will ride the bike out so I can come meet some of you all... and your trucks! I'm not real hip on draggin the truck out there in it's current condition, but if I can get the cab, doors, fenders in paint by then, I might just load it up.

Last edited by ~Whitey~; 07-12-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #321
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Whitey~ View Post

Thanks! the dust shields... I ordered them from Early Classic Enterprises.. These were galvanized and I primed them with etching primer, then painted them, but of course sanding before and in between. They are made for the drop spindles but they have ones for stock spindles too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks! I had a little technical difficulty finding them on their website before but I got it figured out. I have a set on the way

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #322
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Thanks! I had a little technical difficulty finding them on their website before but I got it figured out. I have a set on the way
Cool cool... Their website leaves a little to be desired, but it's way better than some others I've been on. They're great to deal and are very helpful if you have any questions. Glad you found them!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #323
~Whitey~

Here's a few pics of the cab in primer, and where it'll stay while I work on the fenders, inner fenders, doors, and core support.

Name:  69Chevy_cabprimer.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  80.8 KB

Name:  69Chevy_cabprimer1.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  104.0 KB

This is another part of the gap repair, I added a strip of 14 gauge in to get it even tighter.

Name:  69Chevy_cabprimer2.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  98.4 KB

Over the weekend I worked on stripping this drivers fender down and treated it inside and out with Fast Etch and Pre from Eastwood. Going to work on the other side then get these in primer. Sure wish I had the budget for sandblasting, THIS was ALOT of work... but a labor of love. I wanted to get it all to bare metal so my paint job don't look like the paint Im stripping off. Adhesion problems galore!

Name:  69Chevy_fenderstripped.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  46.9 KB

Couldn't resist laying some emblems on it. Love that brushed metal look. :-)

Name:  69Chevy_fenderstripped1.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  104.5 KB
Old 07-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #324
Bennett68C10

Nice job on the fender, I just pulled mine off the front clip and took the trim, markers and emblems off of them. Just wanted to see what I have to work with. I have a little rust work to do and will probably need to blast them. They have surface rust in some hard to reach areas.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #325
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
Nice job on the fender, I just pulled mine off the front clip and took the trim, markers and emblems off of them. Just wanted to see what I have to work with. I have a little rust work to do and will probably need to blast them. They have surface rust in some hard to reach areas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Inside the fender at the top is where the worst of mine was at, wish I could have sent them off for blasting and normally would have but the same guys who blasted my cab ($300) wanted $100 each to do the fenders. Crazy. So I had to do it here at home with a 3m paint/rust stripper wheel, screw driver and sand paper and patience! What I couldn't get to with those things I used a wire brush to loosen anything up and used the Fast Etch which converts the rust, then painted those areas with rust encapsulator... took some time but I believe they'll be good for years to come.
Posted via Mobile Device