The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
Ekliptix

Results - fixing my tarnished polished aluminum trim

After not having any luck removing the tarnish on my trim with the products in my detailing gear + major elbow grease, I was not ready for fork out $350+ for a replacement front grill trim or pay a similar figure for someone to professionally fix the tarnish. So, I read a bunch of Amazon reviews and ordered these 2 products:

Never Dull: Amazon.com: George Basch N/D... Amazon.com: George Basch N/D...This stuff is actually a roll of tare-able cloth soaked with a solution.

Blue Magic: Amazon.com: BlueMagic 400 Metal Polish Cream - 7... Amazon.com: BlueMagic 400 Metal Polish Cream - 7...This stuff is a paste, and wow, it smells strong. I almost burned my nose hairs off when I took a whiff.

And these buffing wheels: Amazon.com: Anytime Tools POLISH BUFFING KIT for... Amazon.com: Anytime Tools POLISH BUFFING KIT for...
I taped off a section and am very happy with the results of the Blue Magic. The Never Dull actually seemed to work OK too but the Blue Magic has a better shine and fewer remaining tarnish stains, likely because of the buffing wheel action delivered with the Blue Magic. I'll plan to take a photo with both

I'll finish the rest of the trim and see how long the finish lasts. If the nice finish doesn't last long, I'll do it again and then wax it for protection.

After Blue Magic.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
FRANKENSTEINC10

Re: Results - fixing my tarnished polished aluminum trim

Wow. That's awesome.
FRANKENSTEINC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Lou Boffa

interested
Old 07-07-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
Ekliptix

Update: I finished the rest of the front grill trim and moved to the side trim. My experience has changed. The front looks great! I think The Never Dull is nearly as effective as the Blue Magic, and it is less messy to use if you are rubbing by hand. The side trim is not responding as well. The tarnish on the side trim seems different, tougher, making me think I may decide to replace a few of the side trim pieces as I don't think these 2 products will get the side pieces near the shine they returned to front trim piece. On the side trim I even tried letting the Blue Magic sit on the trim for a few minutes to get into the tarnish, before rubbing with more Blue Magic.

Front. Blue Magic results on left, tarnish in middle, Never Dull results on right.

Side prepped and buffed with Blue Magic.

Top inside was tarnished too.

After using the buffing wheel

Top grill results with Blue Magic.

Front grill trim results, top showing results after Blue Magic. The lower part of the photo shows part of the trim still tarnished where I couldn't reach with the buffing wheel. A good before and after compare.

Last edited by Ekliptix; 07-07-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
Ekliptix

On to the side trim.

Side trim piece 1, Behind front wheel. Before

Same piece after Blue Magic. Results are not as great compared to the front trim piece.

Side trim piece. Before.

After Blue Magic.

Side trim piece 2. Door trim. Before. This I was going to try just the Never Dull on.

This is what Never Dull looks like, btw.

After rubbing and rubbing for 15 minutes.

After Never Dull.

Here's the side trim right in front of the front wheel. The photo shows the tarnish on the bottom piece, before Blue Magic (Blue magic applied on top piece).

The Blue Magic helped, but still left some tarnish on. I then spent 10 minutes using the Never Dull on the piece same piece above after the Blue Magic to see if it'd help. I think it did, but required a lot of elbow grease just to get it to the point below.

In summary, both products improve the impact of tarnish on this trim. The front grill responded very well to both but I ended up using Blue Magic on it. The side trim did not respond as well to either product, so may replace certain side pieces that have been impacted by tarnish.

Last edited by Ekliptix; 07-07-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
motorcritter

NeverDull works great- I've used it to resurrect dull motorcycle alloy pieces. Lots of work, but great results. I'm going to try the BlueMagic on my Triumph Bonneville restoration, then on the '69 GMC trim. Another polishing truck I learned, to clean up chrome plated stuff- use a wad of aluminum foil, wetted with some sort of Cola drink (Diet Coke works really good!)- it looks like new, and the tarnish/corrosion is virtually eliminated.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
72 tigger

I believe all the aluminum trim has a coating (called anodizing- I think) The grill looks great!, but to get the trim the way you want it I think you'll need to remove the anodizing. A thread titled "restoring upper & lower trim" is very helpful- (sorry I'm too dumb to link to it) Hope this helps
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

subscribed

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
kvn1011
Kvn1011

good info
kvn1011 is offline   Reply With Quote