The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2006, 06:43 AM   #26
special-K
Special Order

Re: Factory auxiliary fuel tanks ? Surely not................

Lemield,can you show the sticker?And/or,give the RPO?If this is true,it`s news to me.I`d like to have it varified.Not doubting your word as much as wanting to varify it as fact.In all these years I`ve never seen another auxilary tank in that location as a factory option.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:45 AM   #27
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstoy View Post
The name is TRAVL - TANKS made in El Monte Ca. and they are aftermarket, very heavy iron and about two inches of the bottom of the tank are exposed just aft of the cab. A local radiator shop installed mine many years ago. My tanks had two large bolts that passed through a sleeve in the tank. The problem with these tanks was they did not have floats until later years, '75 on. They could not be retrofitted either. So when the portside tank would empty, the truck would sputter and you would reach under the seat and turn the valve to the OE tank or starboard tank whatever was easiest. Believe me this is an interesting experience while driving on a Calif. freeway. Before I did the resto on my truck the bed rotted just above the tank and of course the bolts no longer held. So I took them off and they are gone. They rusted quicky once the fuel dried out. Factory installed soon replaced these things.

I left the access doors because someday, I will find tanks with floats. On the plus side of this scenario is you had 55 gallons of fuel, 17.5 in each of the side tanks and 20 in the main.
When I bought my truck the PO said use the aux tank first. When it sputters just flip it to the main tank.

I did that for a while but as bartstoy points out it doesn't always happen at a good time. I bought a float and gauge kit at JC Whitney. Followed the directions in the kit for the install. Then mounted the gauge knee-knocker style in the cab.
Attached Images

Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #28
TJLasVegas

Hi folks. New to the group. I own a '69 3/4 ton with Auxiliary fuel tanks. Last weekend I drilled out the rivets to the fuel doors to get them off the bed so I could replace the locks (no keys). Does anyone know if these doors or the locks are still available from any source? One of the doors is in pretty bad shape. Thanks.
TJLasVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:04 AM   #29
kwmech

Take the lock to a locksmith and have keys made. They are pretty generic. BTW welcome and thanks for searching
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:42 AM   #30
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402Bowtie View Post
Does anybody know if they reproduce this sticker? My 72 K20 has this same exact sticker.

If they don't reproduce the sticker, is it possible to peel the sticker off somehow and then remount it after the cab has been blasted and painted....or should the original sticker be taped off while the rest of the cab is blasted and painted?
Check with Pete (DeadheadNM), he repro'ed these awhile back, I've purchased a few, they are perfect.

As all have mentioned above, the only factory installed extra tank setup for trucks was RPO NL2, it came with the fuel gauge selector switch and sticker just above where the left a/c outlet is on the dash and it came with the switch for physically switching the fuel flow on the driver's side door sill so the driver could reach it while driving, and the filler neck and fuel cap coming thru the upper bedside as Tim mentioned.

The aftermarket tanks could be single or dual, dealer installed or owner installed, doors thru the bedside or filler neck inside the rear wheelwell just in front of the tire. I have two in my back yard from my 71 that the guy I sold it to didn't want! They were made by companies like Travel Tanks and there was one named camel tanks or something like that... Here are some factory NL2 tank ref docs:
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:43 AM   #31
jocko

and here are some aftermarket dual tank instruction manual pics for ref:
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2014, 02:44 AM   #32
jocko

and a few additional ones of aftermarket switching arrangements
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #33
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Check with Pete (DeadheadNM), he repro'ed these awhile back, I've purchased a few, they are perfect.

As all have mentioned above, the only factory installed extra tank setup for trucks was RPO NL2, it came with the fuel gauge selector switch and sticker just above where the left a/c outlet is on the dash and it came with the switch for physically switching the fuel flow on the driver's side door sill so the driver could reach it while driving, and the filler neck and fuel cap coming thru the upper bedside as Tim mentioned.

The aftermarket tanks could be single or dual, dealer installed or owner installed, doors thru the bedside or filler neck inside the rear wheelwell just in front of the tire. I have two in my back yard from my 71 that the guy I sold it to didn't want! They were made by companies like Travel Tanks and there was one named camel tanks or something like that... Here are some factory NL2 tank ref docs:
I have to respectfully disagree that the only aux tank from the factory was RPO NL2.....my 1970 C20 Custom Camper has the 1970 only rear factory aux tank. There are several threads that discuss this...but this one has pictures of mine including the manual switch and dash switch and the option on the spid.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=330636

Another thread that discusses the option....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2979585

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #34
jocko

Thanks Larry, good point. I shoulda said the only factory saddle tank, and I tend go think in terms of 71/72 stuff, sorry about that.

Which switch pic is for your rear tank? What was the RPO for the rear tank? Thanks for adding this in.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #35
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Thanks Larry, good point. I shoulda said the only factory saddle tank, and I tend go think in terms of 71/72 stuff, sorry about that.

Which switch pic is for your rear tank? What was the RPO for the rear tank? Thanks for adding this in.
Hi Jocko,

The option code on my SPID is 4N18JS. The dash switch is above the lighter and it controls the guage. The manual switch is on the drivers side rocker panel. The pictures of these are in this link:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=330636

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
Old 06-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #36
jocko

Thanks Larry, I had totally forgotten about this (obviously). I can't really tell in the pic in the shared thread, what were the markings on your dash switch for the fuel gauge selector (and were you ever able to figure out if the fuel gauge selector switch was factory? Seemed like that part of the discussion trailed off in the thread)? Main/Rear? or something different? Just never have seen one of the N18 switches up close.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #37
Lemield

Jocko,

I don't know what the original label looked like or if there even was one....when I got the truck it had one of those old plastic labelmaker labels on it. I used my more modern labelmaker to put MAIN AUX on there...so that's what is on it now. I too am curious about what was there originally.

I am certain that the dash switch is factory since there is a sending unit in the aux tank. Looks like the factory used the same switch location for the dual tank setup too.

Maybe SSTim or Special-K or DeadheadNM will chime in as they seem to know about this stuff too.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #38
69Rumbler

I have the switch on my dash . And had it on my floor next to seat I pulled them out . It's on the SPID as well aux flue tanks
Old 06-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #39
jocko

Which one are you talking about 69Rumbler - the N18 or NL2 type?

Larry - I just noticed you had this same discussion IN THIS THREAD back in 2006! sorry about that, I knew it was a very old thread, and just read the recent post by TJ and kwmech.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #40
Lemield

No problem Jocko...I can always discuss 67-72 Chevy or GMC trucks or anything with an engine for that matter!

Old 06-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #41
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

I've had two sets of 1970 aux tank parts (including that from the truck in post #32 above) and Larry's appears to be the correct GM toggle switch in that those I had appeared the same. I actually still have one whole setup (sans the Blazer tank) sitting in a box in my garage now. Would be fun to put together a thread illustrating all the components for both types (70 and 71/72) with diagrams. The 70-only tank is one of the least seen factory options for 67-72 trucks IMO.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #42
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
I've had two sets of 1970 aux tank parts (including that from the truck in post #32 above) and Larry's appears to be the correct GM toggle switch in that those I had appeared the same. I actually still have one whole setup (sans the Blazer tank) sitting in a box in my garage now. Would be fun to put together a thread illustrating all the components for both types (70 and 71/72) with diagrams. The 70-only tank is one of the least seen factory options for 67-72 trucks IMO.
Go for it Pete!

Old 06-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #43
srvivor71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 View Post
Anyone else got dual tanks that have the filler necks under the rear fenders?
Yes, I have filler necks in both left and right wheel wells, with the same floor switch as in the pictures above. I never switched over to either auxiliary tank because the gas in them is probably varnish now. Besides, it costs too much just to fill just the one tank now.
srvivor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:08 AM   #44
TJLasVegas

The spot welds on one of the doors broke loose while trying to get the original lock out. Patience is not always one of my virtues. That is why I was wondering if there was a source for the assembly anywhere or if anyone had the part number of the assembly. On the other hand I may have just created a justifiable reason to get a cheap spot welder...

I purchased a couple mail box locks at Home Depot that look like they may work once I get the old locks off (hopefully without breaking the spot welds on the other door).

Regardless...thanks for the suggestion. Taking to a locksmith is definitely something I'll look into if these new locks don't work out.
TJLasVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:53 PM   #45
Hack71

I had a 1972 C20 402BB w/Turbo 400 Auto, Factory Air, Tilt Wheel, it had two Auxiliary Fuel Tanks with one mechanical switch next to the seat. When I had it switched to the aux tanks the fuel pump would take excess fuel not used by the engine and return it to the main tank behind the seat, filling it. you could watch the fuel gauge rise up till it was full or the aux tank was empty then I would have to switch back to the main tank.
I sold this truck 20 years ago, I recently purchased a 71 C10 350 w/Turbo 350 Auto, Factory Air it has one drivers side Aux Tank I haven't tried using it yet, it has only one mechanical switch next to the seat as well.
Hack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:37 PM   #46
srfinatsunset

I just bought a 1968 Suburban with one of these auxiliary tanks. I wish I knew when this could have been installed. The tank is drilled for the second row seat too.
srfinatsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #47
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack71 View Post
I had a 1972 C20 402BB w/Turbo 400 Auto, Factory Air, Tilt Wheel, it had two Auxiliary Fuel Tanks with one mechanical switch next to the seat. When I had it switched to the aux tanks the fuel pump would take excess fuel not used by the engine and return it to the main tank behind the seat, filling it. you could watch the fuel gauge rise up till it was full or the aux tank was empty then I would have to switch back to the main tank.
I sold this truck 20 years ago, I recently purchased a 71 C10 350 w/Turbo 350 Auto, Factory Air it has one drivers side Aux Tank I haven't tried using it yet, it has only one mechanical switch next to the seat as well.
Boy howdy! I have an electric fuel pump under the truck that is on the outlet side of the transfer valve. I could rig it so that it does what your pump did and not have to worry about putting floats and senders in the auxiliary tanks. Maybe it was rigged that way in the beginning? My FiL changed so much stuff around it isn't even funny.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote