The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #1
derek_1137

Clutch Problems

Hello my name is Derek, I apologize if I make any mistakes this is my first post.

Background: I drive a 1969 c20 she drove great for awhile then after completely blowing the engine it was time to do a swap. This was my first time doing an engine swap and this is the first truck I've had any experience working on. after lots of time and money I pulled the 350 I had and swapped it for a 383 from a 78 c20. So far I've done everything by myself without even so much as a helping hand to drop the engine in. Everything was going well, although there were issues nothing I couldn't manage.

The issue: I was pulling the pulleys off the new engine as they didn't line up right with the long water pump I pulled off my old engine. (I wanted to use the long one not the short one that came off my new block) I was trying to use a wrench, unfortunately it kept cranking the engine so naturally I tried putting it in gear. No luck, still cranking the engine. thats odd I though maybe I set the clutch up wrong when I reattached it. (the only part I messed with was the assembly that the pedal attaches to, the part that swivels to push a rod to push the part sticking out of the tranny) (sorry I'm not familiar with the specific names of those transmission parts) so in my own stupidity I tried to adjust the rod thinking it must not be applying enough pressure. After adjusting I got in the cab pushed the clutch pedal and POP. There was a loud pop and the pedal no longer has any pressure behind it and doesn't disengage the clutch to switch gears. in the end i did what i should've done in the first place and bought an impact wrench to pull them but now I'm stuck with a broken clutch and couldn't find a post with someone in a similar situation.

The questions: What could have happened? What might be broken? what should i check? What should i replace?

Any and all help is appreciated thank you very much. -Derek
derek_1137 is offline   Reply With Quote