The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2015, 11:05 PM   #1
angelobackwards

Manual to power steering conversion help

I recently purchased a 1980 short bed with manual steering. I have been searching the web for conversion kits for power steering but can't seem to find any for the 73-87 models. I've googled everything I can think of but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I keep seeing 63-66 and 67-72. Can anyone direct me to the right place.

Or as an alternative if I were to go to a junk yard and take one what all would I need to take off the donor truck? Steering box and ? I already have a power steering pump just not sure as to what to take along with the box.

Thanks for the help and advice.
angelobackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:35 AM   #2
D13

Re: Manual to power steering conversion help

There are no kits because the parts are plentiful and replacements are available at most parts stores.

Assuming it's a V8, you need box, pitman arm, hoses, bracket, and pump. And nuts and bolts. And belts. And make sure you have enough pulley grooves.

Easiest way is to rob a jyard truck. Other way is to seach thread for pictures, for example 'Restoring Rusty' just below has some good pictures of a mid 70's V8 truck PS set up.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #3
Dead Parrot

Check if there is a difference between a manual and power steering column, especially length and connection to steering box.

Does or will your truck have headers? One of the stock PS mounting brackets often needs some modifications to work with headers.

Is a conversion to a serpentine belt system anywhere in your plans? If so, now would be a good time as that will include most of the pulleys and mounting brackets.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
angelobackwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Check if there is a difference between a manual and power steering column, especially length and connection to steering box.

Does or will your truck have headers? One of the stock PS mounting brackets often needs some modifications to work with headers.

Is a conversion to a serpentine belt system anywhere in your plans? If so, now would be a good time as that will include most of the pulleys and mounting brackets.
The frame is going to be used for a frame swap for a 58 Apache short bed. The steering column is a CPP column so I can buy what I need to hook up to the steering box itself. Yes the truck has headers I believe they're long tube headers but I have other headers I could switch out to make it easier.

I will not be running a serpentine belt will be sticking to the V belt. The motor I current have already has a power steering pump just wasn't sure what I needed from the gear box on.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:37 PM   #5
angelobackwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
There are no kits because the parts are plentiful and replacements are available at most parts stores.

Assuming it's a V8, you need box, pitman arm, hoses, bracket, and pump. And nuts and bolts. And belts. And make sure you have enough pulley grooves.

Easiest way is to rob a jyard truck. Other way is to seach thread for pictures, for example 'Restoring Rusty' just below has some good pictures of a mid 70's V8 truck PS set up.
Thanks for the advice. Yes I will be running a sb 350. I have PS pump/bracket already on the motor, hoses are there, and I have all my belts.

So basically I would need the gear box along with the pitman arm along with he nuts and bolts.

Can the gear box and pitman arm be from any year model? I'm assuming there shouldn't be too much trouble since I'm using an aftermarket steering column and u-joints.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
greg64

I've mucked around with these boxes in the past. The boxes will interchange, no problem. The power box has an extra bolt holding it to the frame. The pitman arms are different. The fittings for the hoses change around 80. The early fittings are flared and the later "metric" fittings have an o-ring. The fitting in the back of the pump can be changed from old to new or new to old fittings.
greg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
angelobackwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg64 View Post
I've mucked around with these boxes in the past. The boxes will interchange, no problem. The power box has an extra bolt holding it to the frame. The pitman arms are different. The fittings for the hoses change around 80. The early fittings are flared and the later "metric" fittings have an o-ring. The fitting in the back of the pump can be changed from old to new or new to old fittings.
Thanks for the info. I'll be hitting the junkyards next couple days. I'm sure I'll find something.