The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
Rookiebuilder

'67 I/P Cluster 12 Pin location w/ 5.7 4l80e

I hope I'm posting to the right thread... there's a reason my username is "Rookiebuilder".

I'm working on a '67 C10 small window, short bed, fleet side truck. I dropped '93 5.7 TBI w/ 4l80e that came from a G3500 Vandura (it was free). The engine and tranny have been rebuilt. I also have the wiring harness and VSS buffer from the van.

Now I'm stuck and looking for some wiring help specific to my '67 I/P Cluster (12 pins) (the '93 I/P Cluster has 18 pins). I have seen the idiot and gauge cluster diagrams floating around on the site but I'm wanting to know what my cluster will look like with my setup.

What pin does my fuel pump & sender go to?
* Fuel Pump Oil Pressure Sender?
* TCM/Service Engine Light?
* Engine Coolant Temperature?
* VSS Buffer?

If not, where do they go since they do go to the I/P Cluster on the '93 I/P Cluster (again, which has 18 pins).

I am using the Fuse Block and wiring harness from the '93 GMC G3500 Vandura as well.

I do have the '93 electrical diagram and diagnosis manual (It's great) but it doesn't give me the answer to my question; or I'm not smart enough to figure it out yet. After all, there's a reason my login is Rookiebuilder
Rookiebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: '67 I/P Cluster 12 Pin location w/ 5.7 4l80e

Do you have a gauge or warning light instrument cluster (with temperature gauge or temperature light) in the truck? Did you keep the 67 bulkhead connector? Is the fuse block from the 93 an engine compartment fuse block and you're adding to the truck under the hood, or did you replace the fuse block in the cab?
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
Rookiebuilder

Thanks for reaching out. See my answers in red below...

Do you have a gauge or warning light instrument cluster (with temperature gauge or temperature light) in the truck? Yes, see attached picture for my cluster

Did you keep the 67 bulkhead connector? Yes

Is the fuse block from the 93 an engine compartment fuse block and you're adding to the truck under the hood, or did you replace the fuse block in the cab?

I took out all of the old '67 fuse block and added the one from the donor vehicle ('93 Vandura), both in the engine AND cab locations. So, the engine, tranny, fuse block, and wiring harness are from the donor vehicle
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2020, 08:09 PM   #4
dmjlambert

Green arrow points to the position on the bulkhead connector for the temperature sensor, green wire. You can run that to the temperature sensor location on your engine. Change the sensor to ACDelco G1852. Mine was from Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9SM22/
If the location for the temperature sensor on your engine has a 3/8 NPT hole, you can turn the sensor down and re-thread it. More information here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post8749609

Red arrow points to the position on the bulkhead connector to send power to the coil or distributor. The white cloth covered wire is a resistor wire and you would not use that for anything. But that position is a good source of switched power. Some people put a 12 gauge pink wire here to power an HEI distributor. I'm not familiar with the 93 engine so don't know if it has a distributor.

Name:  02fwconn.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  60.1 KB

Oil pressure gauge uses a small metal tube to go to the engine, so you don't need a sender for that.

I don't know about the other stuff you're asking about, except to say since there is no TCM/Service Engine Light or VSS Buffer on a 67 truck there's nowhere on the instrument cluster for those to go. There is a position for Temp light on the cluster, and you may notice it is not connected to anything. I believe some people use the Temp light for a check engine light. Other people more familiar with modern engines may add to this thread and answer more questions.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #5
dmjlambert

You can buy those terminals in the bulkhead connector, so you can remove them and put fresh terminals on new wires for the ones you are changing. They are called Packard 56 terminals.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:25 PM   #6
Rookiebuilder

@dmjlambert I made a "Rookie" mistake on my reply to you. You asked me if I'm using the '67 Bulkhead connector and I was wrong -- I'm using the '93 bulkhead connector, fuse block, engine, tranny, and wiring harness. I am using '67 I/P cluster (12 pins) and cluster and that is where I'm having problems -- I don't know where previous mentioned parts go on a 12 pin i/p cluster since everything else I'm using is from '93 and i/p cluster is 18 pins.

On a side note I'm actually familiar with your area in Texas. I went and played baseball at Lamar University many years ago; and have been traveling to MD Anderson Cancer Center every 90 days over the last 3 years to take my 22 year old son for follow-ups (fortunately, all is GREAT with his cancer, just staying on top of it).

Thanks for your help!

Eric
Old 07-19-2020, 09:20 PM   #7
dmjlambert

What does I/P mean?
Old 07-19-2020, 09:35 PM   #8
dmjlambert

Here is the instrument cluster diagram, and you can also just see the traces on the printed circuit to trace where they go.

Hook up the wire to the temperature sensor to the right place on the instrument cluster plug. Do the same with the other wires, such as gas gauge, temp light, brake light, etc. The temp light and brake lights have 12 V + feeding to them on the pink wire, and the sensors for those things should switch to ground to turn the those indicator lights on.

You probably won't use the ammeter gauge because it requires the battery to be charged using a 12 gauge 5.5 ft wire that goes between alternator and battery, and the sensor wires for it connect to each end of that wire. Forum member TBONE1964 specializes on working on instrument clusters and I believe he sells a volt meter replacement to go in that position.
Attached Images

Last edited by dmjlambert; 07-19-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:36 PM   #9
Rookiebuilder

I/P represents Instrument Panel.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:37 PM   #10
dmjlambert

That is great to hear your son is doing well.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #11
Rookiebuilder

You said "Here is the instrument cluster diagram, and you can also just see the traces on the printed circuit to trace where they go. " Not sure if you meant to attach something or not.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:04 PM   #12
dmjlambert

Yes, I tried 3 times to get those to attach. I don't know why it gave me trouble. I have now attached them.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:15 PM   #13
Rookiebuilder

Here's my question with a visual (see attachment). I have a 12 pin instrument panel cluster (like below) and wanted to know where each of the below go on it.

What pin does my fuel pump & sender go to?
* Fuel Pump Oil Pressure Sender?
* Engine Coolant Temperature?

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2020, 02:18 AM   #14
dmjlambert

If you install a ACDelco G1852 temperature sensor in your engine you can attach that wire to the temp gauge wire.

I don’t know about fuel pump and sender or fuel pump oil pressure sender. That sounds too many words. A fuel pump has nothing to do with a sender and a fuel pump has nothing to do with oil pressure, so I’m kind of confused. The engine that came with your truck had a mechanical fuel pump so no electrics were involved at all. The fuel level center back the behind the seat fuel tank was 0 to 90 ohms and it hooked up to the fuel gauge wire.