The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2020, 11:48 PM   #1
rustyrodknocker

66 GMC long story longer...

I am going to try to get my history with my Suburban spelled out here for the sake of keeping it organized in one place.
I never thought of it a a build because its really not.
I bought it to drive it, I had to make it run to do so and I had to make repairs along the way.
Unfortunately I have lost much of my data and the dates are questionable. I hope to firm these up as I get along.

The basic beginning is, I looked for one of these specifically. I eventually found this one in the Truck Trader with the typical tiny black and white picture. Remember the days? This is the last vehicle I bought through Trader. It was in Milwaukee Oregon and is/was a pretty poor example.

It was a stalled project and had sat for years as happens when life changes.
I think this was 06-07 ish.

It came with a 350 laying in the engine compartment. Also had a th350 and new tires. The engine was new but never fired or installed.
I installed it and fired it up on the first day. From there I immediately started to daily drive it.

More to come later..
Attached Images

rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:15 AM   #2
rustyrodknocker

Re: 66 GMC long story longer...

In going through my recently recovered pics a thing occured to me. I can peel the registration stickers back and determine when I bought the truck. This actually delighted me. I can make out the October tag in the pics So that is the time of year.
Ill get the tags peeled this week.
Anyhow the truck had Blazer highbacks and console which I liked a lot. Has a B&M floor shifter and 4x4 rally wheels. 3:50 posi also.
The motor was indeed new but the cam was out of time and as I learned later, In the years that the motor layed in the engine compartment with no carb, two cylinders with open intake valves had rusted and pitted.
The motor made outstanding power but burned oil from day one. Eventually choking me out at stoplights. The trans had a shift kit that hit way hard. Too hard for awhile, chirping 2nd regularly. It eased up over time but had the very unique issue of kicking into a false neutral after taking a left hand turn on a cold morning.
No amount of gear selecting would get you moving. It would warm up and engage.
We learned it would only do this once when it was cold and then you were good for the day. We also learned not to rev it when this would happen or you would experience a neck snapping neutral drop. Transmission functions fine in warm weather.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
Southcity

Nice GMC Burb, dual sliders! I spy a pop-up sunroof. Any interior pics?
Old 03-23-2020, 11:19 PM   #4
rustyrodknocker

There may be some interior pics in the file. Nothing special. It did have a sun roof or as I call them, a leak roof. No longer has that. But the corresponding leaks were hard on the floor and one of the blazer buckets. The vinyl was fin but the frame rusted from the foam being wet.
I will try to continue with pics soon.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
Southcity

Please keep us posted with progress and pics (if possible). A lot of great knowledgeable and helpful folks here that can help along the way.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
jweb

Cool Suburban, it looks like we're neighbors with similar projects. I live in Salem and my next project is a '64 Suburban, I just have to finish a camp trailer first.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:32 PM   #7
rustyrodknocker

Continuing on as time and memory allow. Thanks for the comments, hopefully I can continue to put this together in story form.
For the first 5 ish years I kept the burb in driver mode while working in it. This is my preferred method with old cars. It helps keep them in the forefront and I get the value of having them on the road as they should be and if life gets interrupted by reality at least its not forgotten in non op mode. I seem to have to many cars to do this now though.

The burb got backed into at the drivers rear at one point. I was strapped with work so my father in law did a repair of this. I don't have pics of this but fear not, it was crunched again and I have pics of the second time it was fixed. Which I did.

What I was wanting to do was a sun roof (rain roof) delete so If would stay dry and then make it worth while to do the floors.

So I needed a parts vehicle...
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2020, 10:44 PM   #8
rustyrodknocker

I seen a picture of the panel on a picture board at the Albany swap meet.
It was in Cottage Grove, it was cheap enough and the guy said the roof skin was solid.

I drug it home and it did not take long to see it was pretty darn solid. That was about all it took to make me fold up on the idea of cutting it up. So... I needed another parts truck I guess. More waiting and driving.
The Burb Had no back bumper when I got it and I could not find one at the time. I had a spare square body front bumper. I thought it looked kind of presentable. So I ran it...
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2020, 11:29 PM   #9
rustyrodknocker

I eventually found a parts truck in Portland. It was from Iowa and the bottom was gone from salt damage. However the top was perfect. So on a Thanksgiving weekend it was hack and wack. I needed the long weekend because it was still in daily mode. I took off the top before it was time to leave for dinner. We arrived in fine style and sporting brain freeze. It snowed on the way, we had stocking caps but they were no match.

Yes I said we. As in, I had a woman go with me to Thanksgiving dinner in this truck. I know what your thinking. The ultimate Woman.
Well, its 29 years now, started together at 18 years old. Aw how sweet... except for the part where she stole the truck. Literally stole my vehicle. But unlike most people that steal a car then leave at a high rate of speed. She is still here and so is my truck. But I dare not say my truck aloud. Ever. Not a joke. What was mine is now not mine. I don't even know. She did drive if every day for years. If she was not so attached it may have gone away. At a point I offered to just buy a better one. Nope.
Has to be what she calls "The Beast"
Could be worse I guess.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2020, 11:39 PM   #10
rustyrodknocker

The blue door was kind of the frosting on the cake or rather whip on the pumpkin pie that day. I got it and some other things from Lostmy65 in Oregon City. I think anyway.
The roof got put on after dinner. At that time I was intending to swap to solid rear windows that I had custom cut. The slider are of a horrible design. Dont know whay they were thinking there. However the solids did not work out. The rubber was problematic. So I put the sliders in with black RTV and rolled on. The solid glass will be going in with urethane after I rework the opening to let the glass sink back rather than flush out..
Attached Images

Last edited by rustyrodknocker; 03-24-2020 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:55 PM   #11
jweb

There is a local guy that has tons of parts. It won't be cheap if you want a perfect door but I'm sure he has it. Chris is just up in Woodburn.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...104179763.html
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #12
rustyrodknocker

I was going give him a call. I have tried him in the past but he has not called back.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:04 PM   #13
rustyrodknocker

Can't complain about the drive home. With so many people working from home I have time that I forgot existed. Tonight was the first night I have done project stuff after work in many years.
Not much but it helps keep some continuity during the week.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2020, 09:54 PM   #14
rustyrodknocker

Bit the bullet today and started to repair my lousy doors.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #15
rustyrodknocker

Completed the structural repairs to the drivers door today. I had hoped to finish the day with the inside of the door stripped and epoxy primed. Didn't get so far. If the commute continues to be good this week I may get it stripped, glass removed and ready for primer in a couple evenings.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2020, 07:37 PM   #16
rustyrodknocker

I figured the rustoleum would be a good seal sealer. The factory stuff was gone or cracked so I wired wheeled around the door. I'll give it another coat tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2020, 08:41 PM   #17
rsavage

Following your progress.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:48 PM   #18
Southcity

Keep up the great work! I'll have to do this to mine in the near future and your thread is a great reference.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:31 PM   #19
rustyrodknocker

Thanks guys, today I tried a different method on the patches. It works pretty nice for panels that you can't use butt joint clamps on due to access restrictions.
You pre form you panel and fit it up with around an inch over lap. Tack it up then relief cut a corner. Push it down flush and tack. It leaves you with a skeleton that you have to fish out from behind.
That can be a pain and I still have one stuck.

This is a method I seen on youtube by a guy name Fitzy in Newfoundland.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #20
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrodknocker View Post
Thanks guys, today I tried a different method on the patches. It works pretty nice for panels that you can't use butt joint clamps on due to access restrictions.
You pre form you panel and fit it up with around an inch over lap. Tack it up then relief cut a corner. Push it down flush and tack. It leaves you with a skeleton that you have to fish out from behind.
That can be a pain and I still have one stuck.

This is a method I seen on youtube by a guy name Fitzy in Newfoundland.
Could you share the video link?
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:56 PM   #21
rustyrodknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonteg View Post
Could you share the video link?
I can't seem to override my app and open in a web browser. But this is the guy and the first video. I watched him explain the technique in several videos. I was not sold on this first one, as I had tried a version of it many years ago and was not happy with it. However you can't argue the man's results. It is fast and accurate. But I do have a piece stuck in the door that I think will live there for ever. I think you need to do light tacks to keep from fusing the cut out skeleton and when tacked in get the piece out.

Another thing I had never seen is cutting in on a 45 to create a tighter gap when fit. I think this would add a great deal of time savings also. I did one door patch that way. It came out good. I have always preferred a full 1/16" gap on a blind panel.
This lessens the chance of warping. When heat shrinkage occurs the two sides of the joint can collide and buckle if gap was insufficient.

Panels that can be planished can be fit tight and gas or tig welded. In just a moment you can stretch it back into shape. Very quickly if done while still hot. Using this method requires no grinding. Welding the joint takes longer but time and mess are reduced from no grinding.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2020, 09:49 PM   #22
clemsonteg

Thanks for sharing. He’s really great! I think this video shows the techniques you mentioned https://youtu.be/9MPykdZF9YU
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:12 PM   #23
rustyrodknocker

Not much to report, other than some parts in sealer today. May go for the new rocker install tomorrow. Then may jump into some motor work next week. Need to get it running good so its easier to move around.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #24
Southcity

You're making great progress in a short period of time, well done! we all appreciate your updates and pics.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:00 PM   #25
rustyrodknocker

Well today was about 3 steps forward and 13 steps back. The good news is the fit up of the door and rocker are getting into the ball park. The other news is...
Attached Images