The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
jrdecat

Re: 89 Jimmy Stumbling

Thanks Ski-me. Problem was getting the nut off. I have a pickle fork to pound with but I gotta get the nut off first. I'm replacing the tie rod stuff first, and will do the upper and lower ball joints only if I have to. I hate having to get them pressed in. I checked autozone to get all the moog part #'s, then bought them from amazon.com much much much much much cheaper. For my '97 silverado they wanted $250 for pitman arm, idler arm, and idler arm bracket. I bought it all from amazon for $140, free 2nd day shipping.
jrdecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Ski-me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdecat View Post
Thanks Ski-me. Problem was getting the nut off. I have a pickle fork to pound with but I gotta get the nut off first. I'm replacing the tie rod stuff first, and will do the upper and lower ball joints only if I have to. I hate having to get them pressed in. I checked autozone to get all the moog part #'s, then bought them from amazon.com much much much much much cheaper. For my '97 silverado they wanted $250 for pitman arm, idler arm, and idler arm bracket. I bought it all from amazon for $140, free 2nd day shipping.
That's a great deal, good job. I just used AZ's free ball joint C-Clamp to drive out and push in new ball joints. A little torch is a good friend.

Try getting the fork in there and applying a bunch of downward pressure and then try impacting the nut off. Just trying to keep the bolt from spinning. And of course, WD-40 or penetrating oil.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
NastyBuzzard

I am willing to bet when you drop the tank, you will find a piece of rubber hose between the fuel pump and sending unit. That hose will be split, slit, or have a hole in it.

If you want to know if its fuel pump or not, do a fuel pressure test. 9-13 PSI is normal. If you're lower than that, go ahead and drop the tank. It isn't that bad.

At least you don't have dual tanks and aren't having to fight with too high of fuel pressure and installing a new fuel tank selector valve like I am right now... Saddle bag tanks suck.
NastyBuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
jrdecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyBuzzard View Post
I am willing to bet when you drop the tank, you will find a piece of rubber hose between the fuel pump and sending unit. That hose will be split, slit, or have a hole in it.

If you want to know if its fuel pump or not, do a fuel pressure test. 9-13 PSI is normal. If you're lower than that, go ahead and drop the tank. It isn't that bad.

At least you don't have dual tanks and aren't having to fight with too high of fuel pressure and installing a new fuel tank selector valve like I am right now... Saddle bag tanks suck.
Funny you say that...I believe I read through your thread last night when researching my issue and I remember the picture of the hose with the hole in it.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
jrdecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
That's a great deal, good job. I just used AZ's free ball joint C-Clamp to drive out and push in new ball joints. A little torch is a good friend.

Try getting the fork in there and applying a bunch of downward pressure and then try impacting the nut off. Just trying to keep the bolt from spinning. And of course, WD-40 or penetrating oil.
Free ball joint C-clamp? Well I guess I will be doing ball joints soon. If I wasn't so lazy I would just weld up a frame to use as a press with my bottle jack.