The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #101
67 chevelle

Re: gm crate engine question

Man you are gona love that engine , they run excellent , great choice
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #102
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfcamaro View Post
I highly recommend the VHT paint and also por 15 exhaust manifold paint. Comes in a pint can and you brush it on. It really holds up. Used it on my camaro manifolds.
where can i get por 15 exhaust manifold paint?I used VHT for the engine
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:17 AM   #103
Jcfcamaro

Summit racing should have it. Or Classic industries
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:48 AM   #104
El Dorado Jim

Name:  IMG_1225.JPG
Views: 468
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1227.JPG
Views: 477
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1232.JPG
Views: 477
Size:  38.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1233.JPG
Views: 481
Size:  39.7 KB removed old engine, painted inner fenders,will start installing new engine tomorrow...
Old 03-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #105
TahoeK10

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
where can i get por 15 exhaust manifold paint?I used VHT for the engine
Check with Tognotti's down in Sac.
They have Por15 on the shelf.
TahoeK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #106
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

Eldo Jim it looks like they missed drilling and tapping the hole for the spark plug heat shield on the right rear of your block. They missed mine too and I didn't catch it until my engine was in and bolted up. It looks like you have the 5/16" hole for the starter brace but no 1/4" hole for the shield. It will be an easy fix on the stand but not so easy in the frame. Good luck, Roger
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:17 AM   #107
El Dorado Jim

thanks, I have the engine in the truck already,I guess I wont be using the heat shield...
Old 03-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #108
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRMW View Post
Eldo Jim it looks like they missed drilling and tapping the hole for the spark plug heat shield on the right rear of your block. They missed mine too and I didn't catch it until my engine was in and bolted up. It looks like you have the 5/16" hole for the starter brace but no 1/4" hole for the shield. It will be an easy fix on the stand but not so easy in the frame. Good luck, Roger
Thanks for the heads up on this Roger! My engine is not in yet, so ill have to look for this.

Quote:
thanks, I have the engine in the truck already,I guess I wont be using the heat shield...
We need picks Jim!!!!
Old 03-13-2017, 09:07 AM   #109
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

saxart does your block have all of the heat shield bolt holes?
Old 03-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #110
BILT4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
Thanks so much for the pics Redneck!

Update.....................

I called Radley today about the price on this (195hp) engine. After getting transferred to about 4 different people, I finally spoke with their "engine guy". He was able to hook me up with the previous sale price! ($1352.99 + free shipping) I don't remember the guy's name, but if you call them looking for this good price, ask for "Pracillia" and give her a sob story about how you were going to buy one of these last week, but missed out on the old price and you were hoping they would honor that previous price. Whoever she transferred me to ended up sending an email invoice that was able to be paid with the choice of either PayPal or credit card.

THE TRIGGER HAS BEEN PULLED!!!!
My son got the engine pulled today in his 70 GMC K2500. We will tear it down today/tonight to see if it's worth rebuilding or to pull the trigger on this engine. Do you think I can still convince them of the better deal?

Also, someone else mentioned that they had them throw in a harmonic balancer and something else for a few more $$. Anything else I should consider getting through them?

Total, how many days from placement of the order did it land on your doorstep for each of you? I realize you're across the country on on, but what about others?
Old 03-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #111
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

I am 750 miles away and I got mine in about 4 days.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:10 PM   #112
saxart

Quote:
saxart does your block have all of the heat shield bolt holes?
Capt-
I believe so... (Sorry for the bad pics)

Old 03-14-2017, 12:07 AM   #113
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILT4ME View Post
My son got the engine pulled today in his 70 GMC K2500. We will tear it down today/tonight to see if it's worth rebuilding or to pull the trigger on this engine. Do you think I can still convince them of the better deal?

Also, someone else mentioned that they had them throw in a harmonic balancer and something else for a few more $$. Anything else I should consider getting through them?

Total, how many days from placement of the order did it land on your doorstep for each of you? I realize you're across the country on on, but what about others?
it took about a week to get my engine,from Virginia to California.....I had them throw in the damper and bolt for a little extra, easier than trying to find the right one around here....I will post pics soon...of my engine installed, its not ready to fire up yet....
Old 03-14-2017, 01:00 AM   #114
El Dorado Jim

Name:  IMG_1235.JPG
Views: 315
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1237.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  36.4 KB engine on the hoist and after in the truck.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:03 AM   #115
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
Capt-
I believe so... (Sorry for the bad pics)

Art, how come that engine isn't installed yet? just kidding, I am retired and mine isn't done yet..
Old 03-14-2017, 06:45 AM   #116
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Well crap Art they missed yours too. The threaded hole for the shield should be close to being centered between the spark plugs and I see the one hole you have on the pass. side rear is directly under #6 spark plug and is likely a 5/16" std. thread for the starter brace.
Good Luck, Capt. Roger
Old 03-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #117
BILT4ME

Quote:

Got it torn down last night. Turns out the crank has already been turned 0.030", The one main we took off has heavy bearing wear and a few fingernail-catching lines in the crank journal, but still 0.004" clearance on both rod and main bearings.

One cylinder has a score in it that COULD be from water sitting in it for 30 years, but I'm not sure. There is also a possibility it is a crack.

The lifters are worn to flat, so the rebuild that it has is still a high mileage rebuild. In order to get it back in shape will require lots of machining and some new parts.

Looks like we're going to be calling for a Crate engine!

What do I need to make sure I ask for and what extras should I consider having THEM provide?
Harmonic Balancer
Water Pump
???

Planning on a Weiand intake and a Holley carb. Probably a replacement HEI distributor (not a performance one)
Old 03-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #118
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

BILT4ME Rock Auto has a Dorman balancer for about $30.00 plus shipping and it is probably made by the same rice farmer as the GM one at 1/3 the price. Get Radley to give you a price they may do better with the sale of the engine. Buy a water pump locally and get the lifetime warranty if you are keeping the vehicle. Keep us posted and see if the parts guy at Radley will check the engine to see if they drilled all of the heat shield holes in the block. Good luck, Capt. Roger
Old 03-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #119
CC69Rat

I had one in a 69 Camaro once upon a time. It was the 290hp version. About 500 miles in, it started smoking really bad out the passenger tailpipe.

We tore it down a bit and found it had 4.3l v6 valve seals in it. Interesting. The seals were just chewed all up allowing oil to drip by.. QC apparently isnt the best on these engines (?) maybe I just got a bad one. It was okay I guess.. but I wouldnt buy another one.

Also, if youre not ASE Certified, or you do not have this engine installed at an ASE / GM certified installer facility it will void the warranty. Ask me how I know.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #120
BILT4ME

Quote:
Got it torn down last night. Turns out the crank has already been turned 0.030", The one main we took off has heavy bearing wear and a few fingernail-catching lines in the crank journal, but still 0.004" clearance on both rod and main bearings.

One cylinder has a score in it that COULD be from water sitting in it for 30 years, but I'm not sure. There is also a possibility it is a crack.

The lifters are worn to flat, so the rebuild that it has is still a high mileage rebuild. In order to get it back in shape will require lots of machining and some new parts.

Looks like we're going to be calling for a Crate engine!

What do I need to make sure I ask for and what extras should I consider having THEM provide?
Harmonic Balancer
Water Pump
???

Planning on a Weiand intake and a Holley carb. Probably a replacement HEI distributor (not a performance one)
The order has been placed!

I checked locally, and they could even come close, then put sales tax on top of it, and it was about $450 more locally than they can deliver to my door.

My total was $1414.99. Just a few left at that price. Looks like it's going up about $5 soon. It did come with a $25 gift card though.......

I'll update when we get it. I asked and he confirmed that all the holes are correctly drilled and tapped accordingly. fingers crossed.......

There is another eBay dealership that is trying to compete, but their reputation is not as good as Radley. I chose to pay a few bucks more for a better reputation and a couple days longer ship time, rather than take a change on one out of Texas with a lower reputation number and questionable communication skills.

Radley, on the other hand, was excellent to deal with. JoJo at the parts counter (540-898-0055) was VERY responsive and called me back multiple times to make sure information was correct and we were getting the order processed correctly. (I had a credit card issue that didn't want to purchase something that expensive online) Thus far, the experience has been great!

I'm having it shipped into my work warehouse so it's easier to deal with.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:20 AM   #121
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
I had one in a 69 Camaro once upon a time. It was the 290hp version. About 500 miles in, it started smoking really bad out the passenger tailpipe.

We tore it down a bit and found it had 4.3l v6 valve seals in it. Interesting. The seals were just chewed all up allowing oil to drip by.. QC apparently isnt the best on these engines (?) maybe I just got a bad one. It was okay I guess.. but I wouldnt buy another one.

Also, if youre not ASE Certified, or you do not have this engine installed at an ASE / GM certified installer facility it will void the warranty. Ask me how I know.
not true about the warranty,according to Radley...I had alot of great reviews from members here who installed one of these engines.....
Old 03-15-2017, 01:24 AM   #122
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
BILT4ME Rock Auto has a Dorman balancer for about $30.00 plus shipping and it is probably made by the same rice farmer as the GM one at 1/3 the price. Get Radley to give you a price they may do better with the sale of the engine. Buy a water pump locally and get the lifetime warranty if you are keeping the vehicle. Keep us posted and see if the parts guy at Radley will check the engine to see if they drilled all of the heat shield holes in the block. Good luck, Capt. Roger
yeah,I just didn't want the hassle of trying to find the correct balancer....I bought a new waterpump from autozone with a lifetime warranty...you will need the rod and plate from your old engine for the fuel pump,and the oil filter adapter as well....I went to pick n pull and got extras ,so I could keep my old engine complete,it still runs good, I may put it in an old beater... also, I didn't like the little metal plug for the dipstick hole on the passenger side,so i used a 3/8 " bolt,cut off the threads ,left about 3/4 " solid piece and used gasgacinch to hold it in....that way the plug can never drop in the engine.....you will need to use your dipstick tube and dipstick also
Old 03-15-2017, 01:29 AM   #123
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
The order has been placed!

I checked locally, and they could even come close, then put sales tax on top of it, and it was about $450 more locally than they can deliver to my door.

My total was $1414.99. Just a few left at that price. Looks like it's going up about $5 soon. It did come with a $25 gift card though.......

I'll update when we get it. I asked and he confirmed that all the holes are correctly drilled and tapped accordingly. fingers crossed.......

There is another eBay dealership that is trying to compete, but their reputation is not as good as Radley. I chose to pay a few bucks more for a better reputation and a couple days longer ship time, rather than take a change on one out of Texas with a lower reputation number and questionable communication skills.

Radley, on the other hand, was excellent to deal with. JoJo at the parts counter (540-898-0055) was VERY responsive and called me back multiple times to make sure information was correct and we were getting the order processed correctly. (I had a credit card issue that didn't want to purchase something that expensive online) Thus far, the experience has been great!

I'm having it shipped into my work warehouse so it's easier to deal with.
I assume you know how to break a new cam in??
Old 03-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #124
CC69Rat

http://www.genuinegmparts.com/powertrain-parts/engines

The warranty claim for is on this page and according to Summit Racing ( where I bought mine years ago..) it has to be installed by a dealer or ISC to obtain warranty coverage.

You asked for opinions and I'm just sharing my experience with them. Good luck to you.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #125
BILT4ME

Quote:
I assume you know how to break a new cam in??
Yeah........

Fill it with oil, fill it with gas, stand on it........right?

Yeah, we're good. Not my first rodeo. Thanks for asking.