The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

What to do up front?

My 84 K10 has a 6.2 diesel. Lots of weight for 25yrs. The bumps stops are 3/4" - 1" above the top of the front spring pack. Can I put a zero rate add a leaf on top of the spring pack? I want to keep my ride quality, but stop hitting the bumps stops every time there is a slight bump. Can you put it on top? If not, what can I do to raise the front end?

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: What to do up front?

This just sounds wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdstreettito View Post
I want to keep my ride quality, but stop hitting the bumps stops every time there is a slight bump.
Hitting the bump-stops is killing whatever ride quailty you should have.

On top is exactly the opposite of what you need to do.....Adding a zero-rate (which is nothing more than a bolt-in spacer block) to the top of the spring will just take up any space that you have now. you would be on the bump-stops constantly. Even adding one to the bottom of the spring pack will not solve your problem. It will have the same ride, 1 inch higher, but still the same space to the bump-stop.
You need to get more arch to the springs, whether you do that with an "add-a-leaf" a small lift spring (like 2.5") or simply replacing the stock springs with new stock springs. As long as you bang the bump-stops, you will have a bad ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 06-27-2009 at 11:06 AM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Go to your local spring shop and get them arched and add a leaf.You may need new shocks.Maybe some used 3/4t springs would be cheapest way.New springs wouldn`t be a bad idea.Oh...and the cheapest thing would be take some off the bump stops.
My`72 k2500 is about on the bump stops,but they never hit.I know my shocks are shot.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Dooley

Here's a pick of the front springs on my old K10 plow truck. I have a 8.5' Western pro plow that weighs a lot and this extra spring added to the bottom has worked well on every truck I ever installed them on. Old and rusty, it still holds it grille up high!
Attached Images

Last edited by Dooley; 06-27-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Back when I was working on these for a living, those are the trucks I hated the most.....Plow trucks. It seems that the only thing harder on a truck than a plow was the guy driving it. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

...and salt! I`d go to the car wash,religiously,before taking the plow off and parking it.It`s that plunge into the worst of it then park it cycle that really gets them.What little salt it got heading back to it`s resting place was nothing compared to what that plow sucks into the truck.Gets all in the engine compartment,big time.That`s just what you need.A truck that`s already rusted you can just dedicate to the job.mine was dual purpose and it got old switching back and forth.besides,Maryland has such schetchy snowfall.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
msgross

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Oh...and the cheapest thing would be take some off the bump stops.

you beat me to that one...

Either way you're looking at a few bills to get you there, once you add shocks, bushings and U-bolts in the mix. Does the truck sit level or is it high in the back?
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Thanks guys. The truck sits a bit low in the front (maybe 1"), I have also been thing of getting 2" springs up front and 1 1/2" blocks in the rear to level the truck and take it away from the bump stops.

Also, my ride is great now, my bump stops are half rotted, so when it hits em you dont feel it much, unless you are off road.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote