The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2020, 10:22 PM   #101
SCOTI

Re: better ride quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
So I detached one side of both shocks so I could test the spring softness and it is definitely not the springs that are causing the problem. They had plenty of bounce. Also I could not really compress the shocks by hand. I also noticed that the part number was printed on the spring and they are not the heavy duty version. So my plan is to get some replacement shocks for the rear. The only problem that I might run into is the top shock mount making contact with the protective sleeve on the new shocks. The old shocks just had an exposed rod as seen in the previous photos. I might have to make some clearance.

For those that were asking about the space between the bottom of my bed and the differential, it looks as though there is about 4 inches of clearance.
Sounds like progress. Elimination of the springs 'rate' as being excessive & learning the shocks are extra stiff; that will impact ride quality for sure. I'll have to go back & review the pics of the brackets. Maybe they can be trimmed up enough to provide the necessary clearance.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:09 PM   #102
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Sounds like progress. Elimination of the springs 'rate' as being excessive & learning the shocks are extra stiff; that will impact ride quality for sure. I'll have to go back & review the pics of the brackets. Maybe they can be trimmed up enough to provide the necessary clearance.
That is my hope. They appear to be vary robust so I am hopping that a little trimming will not effect them.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:27 PM   #103
forestb

I installed new rear shocks today. It seems to have helped a little with softening the ride quality but not as much as I would like. I did have to trim the brackets but I think it will be strong enough.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:34 PM   #104
forestb

After driving on them for a couple of weeks the softness of the ride has improved. I am vary happy with all the new shocks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2020, 10:01 PM   #105
bigmoe

Which shocks did you use?
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:58 AM   #106
SCOTI

Quote:
After driving on them for a couple of weeks the softness of the ride has improved. I am vary happy with all the new shocks
Posted via Mobile Device
Good to read.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #107
forestb

Belltech Nitro 2
Old 12-24-2020, 08:05 PM   #108
bigmoe

I was just looking on the Belltech site. Do you have a part number? #8508?

Last edited by bigmoe; 12-24-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:57 PM   #109
forestb

The shocks I ordered for the front are for a 77 c10 because I have a 77 front end and I think that the rears are also for a 77. If I were you I would measure the distance between the two mounts with all the wait on the truck and then call them and they can help you. I don’t want to give you a part number for the rears because my shock mounts have been relocated in the rear and on top of that the ones I ordered were the wrong ones and they had the wrong size bolt hole so I had to drill out the holes in the mount for a larger bolt hole. I would order different ones if I was going to order them again. I would call them. You might need to know the bolt hole size also. I am willing to give you the numbers if you still want them.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:38 PM   #110
bigmoe

Quote:
The shocks I ordered for the front are for a 77 c10 because I have a 77 front end and I think that the rears are also for a 77. If I were you I would measure the distance between the two mounts with all the wait on the truck and then call them and they can help you. I don’t want to give you a part number for the rears because my shock mounts have been relocated in the rear and on top of that the ones I ordered were the wrong ones and they had the wrong size bolt hole so I had to drill out the holes in the mount for a larger bolt hole. I would order different ones if I was going to order them again. I would call them. You might need to know the bolt hole size also. I am willing to give you the numbers if you still want them.
Ah okay, I see. My 65 short fleet is tucked away at a storage company until spring so work on the ride quality will continue then. I have a square body front crossmember as well with stock std (not HD) coils and 2 1/2" drop spindles and KYB344068 (stock sq body) shocks. These were a slight improvement over what I originally tried.

In back I have Jeep CJ coils (ACDelco 45H2103) which are 653lbs variable (the lighter option of two possibilities) and the shocks are KYB344068. Now these shocks are supposed to be the same rate as stock,(if what I was told was true), but 4" shorter in length but the back is pretty stiff and I feel every crack and small pot hole. Even with the rear gas tank full.

I might try some of Belltech's 8508's for 1-5" dropped rear on our trucks.

I realize these trucks will never ride like a Caddy short of spending some big money but I'll be happy with a bit more comfortable ride.