The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
dmjlambert

Grease gun and oil separation

This is the grease gun I bought, it's a Lumax.

Name:  2020-02-03 10.42.22.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  45.5 KB

I bought a cartridge of Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Automotive Grease and put it in the gun.
Since the last time I used it, it has leaked quite a lot of oil. The oil is separating out of the grease at a pretty much crazy rate.
I have since read online that I should store the gun such that the grease is not pressurized.

Before I go out in the garage and make a crazy mess and have a grease gun accident, I would like to learn from you guys how to do this properly. I have read online in a variety of sites and watched videos but it is not clear to me. I've also seen conflicting information about storing the grease vertically or horizontally.

If I pull out the t-handle as far as it will go, which seems to be about half way, does that release the pressure such that the top of the gun can be unscrewed and the cartridge removed? I have noticed the t-handle will not push back in unless I press the lever while pushing the t-handle, so I suppose that lever holds the t-handle's rod in place.

There is obviously a spring in there that is under tension when there is grease in the gun. Should I remove the grease cartridge and remove tension on that spring when I'm not going to be using the grease gun for a long time, such as several months or a year?

This half-used grease cartridge has had so much oil separation that I'm thinking I would not like to use it in my truck any more, because it is thick. How should the grease cartridge be disposed of? Do municipal household hazardous waste collection sites typically accept them?
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Grease gun and oil separation

I have used 2-3 grease guns in my truck for various hvac needs, and what I have at home.

They all will separate, and do it more in summer time. In my experience only grease does it less as does generic axle grease. So of the red types seem to do it more, and the blue grease I typically use at work is horrific. Especially combined with sitting in the van.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
AZ 67 C10

A grease gun that doesn't leak=million dollar idea. I've used pneumatic and hand pump grease guns every way, shape, and form and have never had one that didn't leak. Pulling the cartridge out sure would stop that but putting it in a 5 gal bucket or a rag around it is how I do it.

The lever does hold the T-handle in place when pulled all the way out.

If you only use it once or twice a year and don't like the mess then pull it out and use some caps or similar to keep contaminants out of the cartridge.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
dmjlambert

Thanks for your replies.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #5
The Rocknrod

Yep mine leaks also, never found one that didn't either.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:21 PM   #6
MySons68C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Yep mine leaks also, never found one that didn't either.
All the above....I like the trigger on yours.
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #7
dmjlambert

Thanks. This appears to be a pretty great grease gun. I found our county has a household hazardous waste collection site and I took the half-used cartridge there along with some used brake fluid and they accepted it. I'm going to get a fresh cartridge and use it, and remove it from the gun when I'm not using it. I found at the store a plastic container with lid that is just the right size to hold the gun with hose attached, and a couple cartridges, and keep them clean.