The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #1
truckster

DeWalt 1/2" Impact Wrench

I recently bought a DeWalt 20 Volt Max XR 1/2" brushless impact wrench - DCF899M1. I thought I'd give it a quick review.

My big concerns were whether it would have enough torque and how long the battery would last. I have to say, I have yet to put it on a nut or bolt it didn't break free. I have an HF Earthquake Extreme air impact, and I think this one easily matches it. I've also been very pleasantly pleased at how well the battery lasts. The kit I bought comes with a charger and a single 4ah battery. I have taken several wheels off, did some exhaust, and just tore down an engine and it's still charged.

It seems to be a little heavier than my air impact, depending on which battery I put on it, but I don't have to drag an air hose around. If you're thinking about buying a new impact wrench, I would recommend you take a look at this one.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
Killer Bee

Re: DeWalt 1/2" Impact Wrench

I'll admit I was a skeptic, but I ended up with an almost free craftsman 1/2 impact with a 19.2v lithium C3 battery deal..

like yours, this one hasn't failed a rusty lug, stubborn frame bolt, anything yet.. I've been pleasantly surprised..

your dewalt would likely hold up to more repeated use but I'm just in the garage now, drivin the desk at work last ten years

thanks for the review, I'll keep that one in mind if I need an upgrade
Old 04-21-2020, 11:42 PM   #3
dajn
Account Suspended

Its understandable to be a skeptic at first if you have never used one of these new powerful 1/2 inch impacts. I helped a guy remove the wheels from his trailer house a few years ago. He had a breaker bar in hand and I happened to have my near new milwaukee with me. I told him to take a break and let the milwaukee do the work. He couldn't believe how easily it took all 30 of those rusted lugs off. It either spun them off or just snapped them off. Battery still showed 4 of 4 bars at the end of it 5.0 battery. He was a believer after that and his wife bought him one for Christmas that year.
dajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
burnin oil

These battery impacts have come along way. My buddy has a 3/8" we took to the junkyard to pull a VW trans. Cradle bolts and all. The only thing that keeps me from switching is the way that the manufacturers keep switching batteries. I have an old makita and it is less than steller. My new Milwaukee drill puts it to shame, even after getting replacement batteries.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
67C10Step

I have 18 volt dewalt cordless drill and 1/2" impact wrench. Both have been great tools that get used a lot. When they go belly up I will probably be going back with the Milwaukee stuff.

Just this spring got a 40 volt pole saw and string trimmer. Pole saw is great as I have not run the battery down yet and it will trim enough to make you want to take a break. The trimmer was for my wife because the straight shaft Stihl gas trimmer was just too heavy for her. We also take care of her father's place and I do the chainsaw/tractor work while she does the mowing and trimming around the house area.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote