The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2024, 01:09 PM   #1
Snake72

56 Chevy (RIP)

Hello Everyone, I thought I would get my '56 project up to date with pictures and plans. I have another thread on my '72 C10 titled "grandpa's 72 restoration" that I finished last summer and have been enjoying as much as I can. That truck was restored to factory specs, with a few tweaks. It is a beautiful truck and drives fantastic, took 8 years and a lot of money. This '56 will be going down a different path.

Quick history on the '56. This truck was bought by my great grandpa, brand new in 56. Was used as an Iowa farm truck until the blue '72 from above was bought new by my grandpa to replace it. The '56 was parked in a dirt floor machine shed on the farm for 20+ years until my dad decided to get it running and driving again about 1995. The truck has always been named "RIP" as in Rip Van Winkle for that reason, it slept for 20 years and woke up. He got the 235 running and driving well, used as a truck until about 2004 when it was again parked after he bought a new truck. I took over care taker duties last year, trailered the truck to my shop and cleaned up, got it running again. The plan was to do a "rolling restoration" and enjoy it as I worked on it. It was quickly discovered that the truck was in far worse shape than expected. Completely unsafe. I made the decision to blow the truck apart and rebuild the structure of the cab, suspension, brakes etc just to be safe for my kids and I to drive in. After looking into costs to rebuild the 235, 3 speed, drum brakes and terrible leaf spring suspension, I am going a different route.

Plan: 5.3 that I already have, must stay manual transmission, possibly muncie 4 speed, AR5 or T56, undecided. C4 corvette suspension front and rear with crossmembers from Flat Out. The truck is factory black original paint that actually cleans up very well, so this will be a patina build. I will repair all rust holes, hinge pockets, floor, fenders, cab etc and do my best to blend in and match the OG paint and patina.

Here are pics to catch up to the current state...this site has been in incredible resource for me so hopefully these pics will help others in the same boat.
Attached Images

Snake72 is offline   Reply With Quote