The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2021, 09:03 PM   #1
Chevy nutcase

Are these trucks worth it?

I figured I'd move my inquiries concerning value from the welcome area to here. Looking for input to help me spot if something is overpriced or if I'm the one that needs to dig deeper.
First two pics is the 71 I saw yesterday and test drove if you can call it that. The exterior looks to be worth every penny of his $5500 asking price but it barely ran and the structure under the cab and bed was barely there. He refused my $4500 offer and I'm kind of glad.
The blue truck is a 68 that looks to be in immaculate near original condition. I haven't seen it in person as his $10500 asking price is just about all I'd spend on a project. The body looks to need little attention, however he said the 327 in it is paired to a Chrysler transmission. I dont know why someone would do this. Wondering what you hardened pros think of these two
Attached Images

Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:28 PM   #2
best view

Re: Are these trucks worth it?

I’d run real fast from both
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:28 PM   #3
Willys_MB

The Chrysler transmission isn’t necessarily incorrect. I can’t tell based on your photos, but the New Process NP435 is a Chrysler product and came in some of these trucks. Mine and a lot of base mode GMC’s, for example, have the NP435 transmission.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:00 PM   #4
May70

Okay the first truck with rusted out cab floor is a no-go, he is clearly just trying to rip someone off. If you go to look at the second one, take a small magnet with you, like a refrigerator magnet. Something that isnt super strong. Go around all over the truck and see if there are any spots where its a weaker pull or wont stick at all. If you find a spot with no-stick, just walk away. At that price there should be very little wrong with it. Its obviously been painted, just make sure it was a quality job.

If you go to look at a truck and the cab supports are rotted out, it is highly likely the pillars a rotted out too. Big job or a lot of $$. Someone on this forum who knows rust repair on these trucks should be located near you. Even if you have to pay them to come look over a truck, its worth it.

"Even a turd can look pretty with a fresh coat of paint"

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:29 PM   #5
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by best view View Post
i’d run real fast from both
x2

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:55 PM   #6
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

If guy number 1 refused an offer of $4500...
I would run from both also. Have patience and know where to look on these trucks. I have had this one for sale between those 2 prices...
Attached Images

70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:43 PM   #7
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys_MB View Post
The Chrysler transmission isn’t necessarily incorrect. I can’t tell based on your photos, but the New Process NP435 is a Chrysler product and came in some of these trucks. Mine and a lot of base mode GMC’s, for example, have the NP435 transmission.
Thank you, this is the kind of info I was hoping for that only a hardcore chevy lover would know. Sorry I cant be more descriptive but folks on marketplace for some reason dont know much or explain what they are selling but are awfully firm on the prices they set. I had no idea a transmission was swappable between GM and Chrysler. As for the rust I figured I'd trust my gut on the black one and run. I know what areas are prone to rust on these and my original concern was if the truck was valuable enough to over look the cancer. I've fixed and welded my fair share of body panels and while a few rockers and cab corners dont scare me, I dont want to order an entire new truck from lmc. Also thank you to everyone else that responded. I really appreciate it

Last edited by Chevy nutcase; 04-10-2021 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:27 AM   #8
MAC71Cheyenne

Nope, n nope...
MAC71Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
If guy number 1 refused an offer of $4500...
I would run from both also. Have patience and know where to look on these trucks. I have had this one for sale between those 2 prices...
Have had? Meaning you still have it or sold it a while ago?
Old 04-11-2021, 06:21 PM   #10
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy nutcase View Post
Have had? Meaning you still have it or sold it a while ago?
Still have it in storage.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:36 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

The '68 isn't original at all. Neither one are represented well nor priced right.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:51 PM   #12
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
Still have it in storage.
How much would it take to part with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The '68 isn't original at all. Neither one are represented well nor priced right.
This is the education I came here for. What do you see that's not original and what would an accurate price for this one be? Heres his description on marketplace

YES ITS AVAILABLE! DONT ASK!
1967 Chevy c10 truck. It is good looking but no show truck. 327 v8 engine with 4spd manual Chrysler trans 97000 miles runs and drives 100%. New exhaust, power brake conversion, wheel cylinders and e brake assembly. Fresh inspection fuel Guage does not work. Tires have good tread. This is a very reliable truck can be driven daily with no problems. Clean title in hand. If u want a perfect c10 go spend 30k! $10,750 NO LOW BALLERS selling to buy a car.

Charming isn't he.

Last edited by Chevy nutcase; 04-11-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:33 PM   #13
toolboxchev

People are getting those prices everyday. Depends on your skill levels.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:47 AM   #14
Peanut74

x3 "I’d run real fast from both"

Do a search on Facebook Marketplace and you can find nice one's there within your budget. Or look in "C10 parts for sale" group on Facebook lots of nice trucks for sale on there.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:20 PM   #15
69Tom

As you're in the heart of the land of rust, to me, you have a couple choices:
  1. if purchasing locally or nearby, and doesn't appear to be a bucket of rust, I'd certainly want restoration photos so you're not buying a bucket of rust that was covered in filler then painted (while a magnet does help some in these cases, it doesn't catch everything; OR

2. look for a relatively original paint truck from the Southwest or West Coast. This way you know exactly what you're getting and how many repairs you need to make, if any.

In any event, that's what I'd do.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:23 PM   #16
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

I don't think I'd appreciate someone running a magnet or anything else over my paint job.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:24 PM   #17
69Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
I don't think I'd appreciate someone running a magnet or anything else over my paint job.
You cover it in cloth tape.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:35 PM   #18
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
As you're in the heart of the land of rust, to me, you have a couple choices:
  1. if purchasing locally or nearby, and doesn't appear to be a bucket of rust, I'd certainly want restoration photos so you're not buying a bucket of rust that was covered in filler then painted (while a magnet does help some in these cases, it doesn't catch everything; OR

2. look for a relatively original paint truck from the Southwest or West Coast. This way you know exactly what you're getting and how many repairs you need to make, if any.

In any event, that's what I'd do.
Yes finding 50 year old vehicles in relatively repairable condition while difficult isn't impossible however in a semi depressed area people selling decent cars with little rust instantly think they have a million dollar sale. I looked at a 72 longbed recently that had a fairly good body. Cab corners were spray foam an bondo and the rockers were going to need attention. The bed was beautiful and the floors were semi solid. The paint was spray can and the interior looks to have been painted with a brush. The truck was lowered by someone heating the coils to collapse giving about 1" of suspension travel. He wanted 8500. I didn't think it was worth that
Old 04-15-2021, 04:41 PM   #19
69Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy nutcase View Post
The truck was lowered by someone heating the coils to collapse giving about 1" of suspension travel. He wanted 8500. I didn't think it was worth that
Yeah, that's another thing you have to be concerned about: the crap work someone has done on the truck, and what you'll have to do to undo that crap work. Yet another reason why I like to find mostly original, unmolested trucks. Even if there's work to be done, at least you're not paying for someone's garbage work, whether it be on the body/paint or chassis/engine.

Sadly, you're buying at a time where the market for these trucks is hot as it's ever been. I have noticed, lately, however, that people think even their car that was previously worth $2500 a couple years ago is now worth $5000 (no offense to those who like vintage 4-doors, but this is an example I see time and time again).
Old 04-15-2021, 06:09 PM   #20
67C10Step

My truck has the normal issues these all have but one of the main reasons I was interested is when you opened the hood and looked inside it had not been hacked on by previous owners. The glass bottle for widow washer concentrate was still on the fender. The only change was the addition of the early 90's bench seat.

The second truck might be a bit desirable if the work done was decent. The first one, not for me. There is what appears to be a pretty nice 68 stepper about three hours from me but it is disassembled and the guy wants $6800. I am resisting because I need another truck like I need a bullet to my head and I really don't like disassembled stuff.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:14 PM   #21
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Yeah, that's another thing you have to be concerned about: the crap work someone has done on the truck, and what you'll have to do to undo that crap work. Yet another reason why I like to find mostly original, unmolested trucks. Even if there's work to be done, at least you're not paying for someone's garbage work, whether it be on the body/paint or chassis/engine.

Sadly, you're buying at a time where the market for these trucks is hot as it's ever been. I have noticed, lately, however, that people think even their car that was previously worth $2500 a couple years ago is now worth $5000 (no offense to those who like vintage 4-doors, but this is an example I see time and time again).
I agree with both points you made. I personally would much rather repair an original rust bucket than try to decipher what 10 different people did incorrectly. Last one I saw had the driver side rocker repaired by bolting it in and a more recent attempt had epoxy or silicone holding onto a 2nd slip over rocker panel. Pass

As for people people wanting a kings ransom for a ball of rusty bondo I in part blame shows like American pickers, pawn stars and antique roadshow for people thinking the older something is the more valuable it is regardless of condition. All one can do is educate themselves against this
Old 04-15-2021, 06:48 PM   #22
69Tom

Are you looking for long or short bed, C10/C20? Cause this one is pretty nice.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/...307028816.html
Old 04-15-2021, 08:06 PM   #23
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Are you looking for long or short bed, C10/C20? Cause this one is pretty nice.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/...307028816.html
That is a good looking candidate. If I were to state a preference, one between 63 and 66 would have to be a stepside which just looks better than the fleet side. 67-72 bed length doesn't matter. Which ever generation I'd want a c10. A c20 as I understand it would be more difficult to lower because of the leaf springs and nice rims are limited in 8 lug patterns. I think a coil sprung truck rides much better as well. Perhaps converting leaf to coil is easier and cheaper than I think, I dont know for certain. As for that truck being located in Arizona which is great for minimal rust production, I shutter to think the cost of shipping it to Pennsylvania because just googling a rough estimate a has given a broad price range. I've never shipped a vehicle any distance. If anyone has insight in that arena I'd be glad to listen
Old 04-15-2021, 10:01 PM   #24
factorystock

Well that one is a first, never heard anyone brag about a Chrysler trans in a Chevy or Ford, for that matter. New Process, New Venture , basically a shelf item used on all makes, similiar to the use of Dana, Spicer products.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote