The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
Tree-50

Sprayer nozzles

Why can't I find any info on nozzles/tips?

I can find the charts and what not on typical sizes vs. product spraying but I can't find any info on nozzles/tips for sale?
Tree-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
skip99

Re: Sprayer nozzles

Tips for what? Spray guns? What brand?
Most paint brands have tip recommendations on the tech sheets.
Or generally...1.4 for base and clears, some use smaller, 1.8 for primers, and i use 2.2 for featherfill,polyester high build.
This is all on devilbiss guns.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
Tree-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip99 View Post
Tips for what? Spray guns? What brand?
Most paint brands have tip recommendations on the tech sheets.
Or generally...1.4 for base and clears, some use smaller, 1.8 for primers, and i use 2.2 for featherfill,polyester high build.
This is all on devilbiss guns.
It's a husky, and yeah the little combo kit I have is a 50psi max and a 40psi max gun though they look identical. They both I "think" have the same 1.4 tip... And i'm trying to shoot my primer. Assuming you asked brand because they are not all interchangeable?
Old 09-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
skip99

Husky is a low end brand sold in home depot and such, i doubt youll get different tips and air caps. Cheaper. To just buy a whole gun if that type works for you, some guys love the $20 purple harbour freight guns for primer .
And no, not interchangable.
1.4 is good all around...just speed up or slow down ...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
Tree-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip99 View Post
Husky is a low end brand sold in home depot and such, i doubt youll get different tips and air caps. Cheaper. To just buy a whole gun if that type works for you, some guys love the $20 purple harbour freight guns for primer .
And no, not interchangable.
1.4 is good all around...just speed up or slow down ...
Yeah, you're right, definitely not expensive but I felt it to be a good place to start. The reviews are all solid and a few said they shot comparable to their higher end ones, though that is probably debatable. I personally don't feel like as a first time painter that putting me behind the wheel of a pro gun vs a cheap gun would make that much of a difference in stripping, drips etc. you know?

I did see a review comment about the instructions listing a 1.8 in the kit but it not coming with it and they called husky and got a 1.8 shipped but I think they changed the instructions. I also thought that the tips wear out much like a brush and needs to be replaced?

What could the 10psi difference in guns mean? Why would they do that?

Can you reduce the primer at all? I did read a few people talking about using reducer up to 10% on 2k primer?
Old 09-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
hugger6933

A lot of those cheaper guns are made by the same place then sold under a lot of different names. I have bought several and the numbers ended up being the same so it got me to looking more closely at them. I thought they look the same They wouldn't look very different they are just spray guns. There are several that are marketed it "kit" form that is a good way to go from a dollar standpoint. You can get a couple of guns for around 475 bucks or less. There is one that has the two guns with a little touch-up gun I throw those away they are about worthless in my mind. I also have seen them and have bought one with a D.A. sander with a 1.4 and a 2.0 [that is what I use for epoxy and high build] for $120 and the sander lasted me for almost ten years and that is like about five lifetimes in a home shop. A lot of the second guns in the kit can come with a 1.7 or 1.8 tip and cap that would be the one to look for. Most all of the todays paints call for a 1.3 or 4 tip for them and the primers are gonna go best with a 1.8. I know that the sheets don't ask for the 2.0 and I've have been jumped on by some on here for using the 2.0 but it works better for me than does the 1.8. The thing you need to remember about this gun or any other it has to be taken down and clean any time any material is run through it. Several times in a weeks time I may have a gun put together and taken apart to prim spots and trim inside fenders and what not and get nowhere but the gun has had four or five tear downs.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
pd1219

Northern sells some relatively cheap ones if you have one near you, the great thing is that they have the rebuild kits right on the shelf there for you. I have a sharpe razor as well but I have to order the rebuild kits for it and it takes a while to get them, its nice to just go to the store and get it. I bought this one and sprayed some primer with it, very nice after being reduced only a little bit.
Attached Images

pd1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
hugger6933

That is the gun I was talking about in my post that is marketed in a bunch of different names. And the caps and needles will change with the guns I have with that one, I know that doesn't help the op but there are several guns that have different names but are all made the same. I have bought too many not to know this to be true. If that helps any. I do know that there is another brand that Northern sell that is NOT compatible with that one they look the same but the threads have been changed, maybe to stop just what I'm talking about here. Jim
Old 09-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #9
Tree-50

That is interesting, I got this one. I took it out and took some satin house paint I had laying around and sprayed it on a 1'x2' section of my door over my etching primer. It actually sprayed well and then yes I tore it apart.

What I find weird is there is two guns one has a 50psi max and the other is 40. Both have 1.4 stamped on the nozzle and both of them remove.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
Tree-50

I called husky tools and they're sending me a 1.8 tip for free.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #11
hugger6933

I was in Joe Carter enterprise inc. yesterday[it is a paint and body supply store in North Little Rock AR] they had three piece "kits" for $62.99 one had a 1.4 one had a 1.8. They also had a 1.4 1.7 combo that is better if your in the paint and clear coat only gun market and also my fav is a 1.4 and 2.0. Every couple of years I say I'm gonna throw out the cheap guns and buy some more and have them all sitting there and then the still spray so good I just can't bring myself to do it. Jim
Old 09-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
hugger6933

I have had to replace some because I wore out the threads taking the guns apart and putting them together so many times. Be aware! some of those guns have a left handed thread in the inside when going to tear down and it seams so tight it don't come apart try going the other way. Jim