The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2020, 06:48 PM   #1
macdodd127

wiper motor removal

I have a '69 c-10 and want to replace the wiper motor. what is the best/easiest way to do it? Thanks, Bill
macdodd127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:14 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: wiper motor removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdodd127 View Post
I have a '69 c-10 and want to replace the wiper motor. what is the best/easiest way to do it? Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill,

You will have to remove the cowl vent below the windshield to remove the retainer clip that holds the wiper transmission linkage to the motor.(first picture) Then you will have to remove the rubber windshield washer pump hoses from the pump (on the motor) Then you will remove the three electrical connectors from the motor, remembering which one connected to which terminals and what the color locations are..(second picture) then you remove the three mounting screws and remove the motor. It may be stuck to the firewall because of the thick pad between the motor and the firewall. Pry on it a little if you have to but have a good grip on the motor or it will fall on the floor. (or your head) You can see one of the mounting screws in the second picture. All three screws mount through a small rubber isolator. The screws are a special tapered head screw so don't lose them. Reverse procedure to re-install.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-11-2020 at 09:23 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
SwitchbladeII

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Hi Bill,

You will have to remove the cowl vent below the windshield to remove the retainer clip that holds the wiper transmission linkage to the motor.(first picture) Then you will have to remove the rubber windshield washer pump hoses from the pump (on the motor) Then you will remove the three electrical connectors from the motor, remembering which one connected to which terminals and what the color locations are..(second picture) then you remove the three mounting screws and remove the motor. It may be stuck to the firewall because of the thick pad between the motor and the firewall. Pry on it a little if you have to but have a good grip on the motor or it will fall on the floor. (or your head) You can see one of the mounting screws in the second picture. All three screws mount through a small rubber isolator. The screws are a special tapered head screw so don't lose them. Reverse procedure to re-install.

LockDoc
LockDoc. Just curios can the connection to the pump be reversed and the pump still work? I know it's a power and ground just wondering if the terminals have a polarity?
SwitchbladeII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:09 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchbladeII View Post
LockDoc. Just curios can the connection to the pump be reversed and the pump still work? I know it's a power and ground just wondering if the terminals have a polarity?

No. If the connectors are not connected as shown the motor will not work. Yellow wires are power, Light Blue, Dark Blue, and Black are grounds that all go to the wiper switch.

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-12-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:19 PM   #5
macdodd127

Does the motor come out from inside? Stand on my head to do it,,,,LOL? Or should I just lube it real good. It still works good.

Last edited by macdodd127; 03-12-2020 at 05:28 PM.
macdodd127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:42 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Does the motor come out from inside? Stand on my head to do it,,,,LOL? Or should I just lube it real good. It still works good.

Yes, comes out from the inside. If you get a heavy moving blanket and lay it on the floor it is a lot more comfortable....

LockDoc

-
Old 03-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #7
SwitchbladeII

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
No. If the connectors are not connected as shown the motor will not work. Yellow wires are power, Light Blue, Dark Blue, and Black are grounds that all go to the wiper switch.

LockDoc
Thanks Doc, I had no doubt that the picture you posted was correct. I saw a picture with the pump wires reversed and wondered if that would also work. You and Vet Vet are the wiring gurus on this site and we are lucky to have you. I have gotten deeper into wiring on this project than most of my prior ones. I have learned a lot from this site and wiring diagrams, although I have found some diagrams out there with errors. It's good to have a source to verify. Keep up your postings they are appreciated!
Old 03-13-2020, 08:50 AM   #8
SwitchbladeII

Quote:
Yes it has to come out from the inside. Depending on your size you may consider removing the seat laying flat on your back is much easier than standing on your head. I remember while working on my Corvette literally getting stuck between the seat and the dash, took a bit of twisting and turning but finally got out and removed the seat! I found over the years taking time to remove a part to get to another is a time saver in the long run.

Working on my truck today I noticed with the dash cluster removed there is good access to the wiper motor.

Last edited by SwitchbladeII; 03-13-2020 at 02:43 PM.