The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
streetrod don

Computer and coil location

I am currently building a 53 five window, S10 frame, 6.0 LS, 4L80, 8.8 Ford rear. Would like suggestions regarding location of the coils and the computer. Thanks, Don
streetrod don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
torchlight

Re: Computer and coil location

On my 53 with an LS, coils stayed on the valve covers, but used a coil-cover style valve cover. There's a good amount of options out there for that, I think - Google for "LS coil cover". My computer is under a flip-up bench seat in the cab - keeping allmy electronics hidden under there.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:57 AM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

On the computer I definitely would go under or behind the seat..make sure whoever makes your harness makes it long enough to get there. On the coils I didn't like the exposed look so I made these coil covers for mine.
Attached Images

mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:53 AM   #4
streetrod don

Loved the "Marvin" story. When my dad was about 70 (I'm now 76) he bought a small farm that joined his place. when the family that last lived there left they left behind the 53 five window which did not run. At the time I was pastoring a church in La. My son married a La. girl and moved back to ar.. He got the old Chevy running for dad and it was used for several years on the farm. When dad died in 98 my son inherited the truck. He is doing the chassis, body, and paint. I will do the engine and wiring. I have an iron block 6.0 on the engine stand. Flat top Pistons, scatt rods, cam motion cam with LS7 lifters, LS3 heads and intake. I will definitely follow the "Marvin" plan for the electronics. The whole truck is pretty awesome. Mongo I like the coil covers. Would also like to know who built the headers? Thanks, Don
Old 10-24-2015, 06:49 AM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Thanks don..I read the marvin story to and it brings back memories of a truck I grew up with that my dad still has, its a 1957 international 3/4 ton 4x4 that we named columbus,, cause it was so old it looked like it came over on the boat with him. Those headers are maximizers..they are made for a hummer.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #6
47 Fasttoys

For the coils mine are still on the valve covers. For the ECU, fan relays, TCU, fuse box etc.. I mounted all that together on a panel which I mounted behind the seat. Love the coil covers by the way.
Rob
Old 10-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
streetrod don

Rob, whoever did the wiring is my kind of tech. Love it. I'm a fanatic about wiring. I use only non-insulated terminals and shrink tube. I like the system where the wiring is not hard wired to the fuse panel. I seem to be able to do a neater job if I start at the termination point and come back to the panel. Centech makes a small printed circuit panel that I like. I have also used a panel made by Haywire. Both are relatively inexpensive. I like the under the seat mounting but the Glide seat that makes that possible is extremely expensive. Don't think that will work in my budget. Don
Old 10-25-2015, 08:12 PM   #8
dsraven

just wondering about those awesome looking coil covers. how did you make those and what are they made from. also, that wiring and panel is a work of art.great job! keep the pics coming.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #9
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Thanks dsr..I made those from some scrap 1/8" aluminum I had laying around..made a couple bends,, milled out the slots and bowtie,, welded in a backer plate and some end pieces and added some paint..underneath them I made some standoffs and a mounting plate..the are held on with the countersunk screws. here's another pic.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Fasttoys View Post
For the coils mine are still on the valve covers. For the ECU, fan relays, TCU, fuse box etc.. I mounted all that together on a panel which I mounted behind the seat. Love the coil covers by the way.
Rob
Wow! Really nice job!! I wish I understood all the electrical stuff. The person who wired my truck, put the fuse box under the steering column, to the left on the firewall. I wold love to be able to rewire it and do something similar to yours. There's a rat's nest of wires under the dash.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #11
47 Fasttoys

Thanks for the kind words, I did the wiring myself. In my case I really had no choice as my drive train is mid mount. That being said it is not out of the reach of most hot rodders if you take it one circuit at a time. You can see on mine the intake is flipped 180 degrees and my alternator is now where the AC compressor was, also throw in a electric shifter and you can see a few custom touches where required. After looking at the custom coil covers and seeing whats available in the aftermarket I can I have some catching up to do in that area.
Rob

Old 10-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #12
YukonXL04

Great work on the wiring and those coil covers guys. Looks great! Never thought of making my own coil covers. I bet you could do something similar with a set of old valve covers
YukonXL04 is offline   Reply With Quote