The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
Jacoby

68 C10 50th Anniversary driveway build

A little history. This truck had been sitting in a barn since 2009 on our family farm. It belonged to my great Uncle. He passed away several years ago so it just sat. My uncle who lives there now told me I could have it if I would just "come get the damn thing". So naturally I jumped on it.

I get it home and determine its a 50th anniversary truck which was cool. Its got some rust in the usual places, rockers and cab corners that will have to be fixed. Other than that its pretty solid on the outside. Interior is in good shape, a new seat or cover will definitely be needed. Through some research on here its determined the motor isn't original. Its a 307 out of a 70's model something or other maybe a Nova and its got a 2 speed powerglide. After replacing plugs, coil, wires, fuel filter, adding fresh fuel and couple other things Im able to get it running. Trans wont go into gear and the brakes don't work even after adding fresh fluid and bleeding them. So no chance of me driving it how it is. So from there it goes from a get it running project to a throw a ton of $$$ at it project and make it cool.

On with the build. After asking around on here if the 307 is worth keeping the consensus is no its not. Most think ditch it and put in a crate 350 or do an LS swap. I like nostalgia and the look and simplicity of a Gen1 small block so that's the route Im going with. No plans to source a used motor or block and build it. Im going to purchase a new crate motor online shipped to my door. Not sure which one Im going with yet. Seen a couple of Blueprints I like and some direct from GM. Im sure I could score a used LS/4L60 for less than a new crate motor is going to cost me but its just not what I want for this truck. Next is a trans. The 2 speed glide has got to go. Once again after asking around on here a nice member by the name of Jamyers offered me a working Turbo 400 for free if I wanted to make the drive to come get it. Long story short, Im heading there this Saturday to pick it up. So motor and trans is pretty much locked down.

Suspension is going to be a 4/6 drop with the usual pieces to accomplish that. Just about every bushing is shot so I'll be replacing all of those along with new upper and lower control arms. Brakes will be a front disc conversion with power booster and drums will remain in the rear. No big 20"+ wheels for this truck. I love rallyes/steelies so I went with 15x7f/15x10r Rallyes from Wheel Vintiques.

As far as exterior/interior goes I haven't decided what Im doing yet. As you can tell from the pics some jack wagon painted over what appears to be a perfectly good 50th gold colored paint job with some copper color blah. It wasn't my great Uncle that had it painted so I cant blame him lol. I love the original color but I don't think I can get it back to that without doing a full repaint. That's way far down the line.

I mentioned this is a driveway build, so everything will be done outside when the weather allows. I have a garage but I keep my CTSV and Harley in there and there is no way Im parking those outside for any length of time. Ive had the truck already for about 6 months but it was so hot and the mosquitos were so bad that Ive been forced to wait till it cools down to start working. Well that time is here and Ive been able to get started.

One last thing, Im doing this pretty much by myself. I have 2 young sons 6 & 8. The 6yr old wants to help which is great but the 8yr old not so much. My wife helps when she can. Other than that its pretty much just me. I'll be doing this build in sections working back to front. Im in no position to pull all the body pieces and put them somewhere so I have to do a section at a time. Anyways sorry for the rambling and feel free to comment on anything. Im gonna have a ton of questions as I go and so far I appreciate all the feedback Ive gotten from members on this site

Thanks
Jacoby is offline   Reply With Quote