The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2022, 12:18 AM   #1
wazzabie

Anyone here running a dual battery setup?

Anyone here running a dual battery setup?
wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:14 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: Anyone here running a dual battery setup?

I am in my 91 Suburban. I am running an on board air compressor and will eventually have a winch bumper on the front, CB, Scanner, Dash Cam and have the trailer package and plan on towing a 24' trailer

Last edited by kwmech; 02-23-2022 at 01:25 AM.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:20 AM   #3
wazzabie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
I am in my 91 Suburban
Is it a factory setup?
Old 02-23-2022, 01:27 AM   #4
kwmech

No, I got the trays from the wrecking yard out of a compatible diesel truck and am wiring it myself with a continuous heavy duty RV solenoid for charging.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:57 AM   #5
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

I have a factory dual battery set-up. It is wired in parallel. Aux battery is wired positive to main battery positive. Main battery negative is grounded to engine block. Aux battery negative is grounded to the frame.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:27 AM   #6
wazzabie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Big10 454 View Post
I have a factory dual battery set-up. It is wired in parallel. Aux battery is wired positive to main battery positive. Main battery negative is grounded to engine block. Aux battery negative is grounded to the frame.
So from your main battery positive there are two red positive wires. I wonder what the dual cable looks like from the factory. Does your setup use the stock positive battery cable that came with all squarebodies?
Old 02-23-2022, 06:51 AM   #7
GM72K10
Next!

My K30 Diesel Dump has a factory dual set up. ALL of the CUCVs were dual battery also,
Attached Images

86 K30 C&C 6.2 4:56s, 4M, 11,000 gvw, ex fire truck, now lowboy dump
More square bodies and CUCVs than I care to admit to
2020 Silverado K3500HD Work truck
GM72K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:43 AM   #8
Dead Parrot

As mentioned, the CUCVs came with a dual battery setup. Two batteries in series to give a 24V starting circuit. Almost everything else kept the 12V setup normal on civilian trucks. Both batteries were on the passenger side.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 11:16 AM   #9
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzabie View Post
Is it a factory setup?
Factory set up RPO TP2 was not available on Suburban.

Be advised there are two kinds of 12V dual battery setups:

The diesels got two batteries (standard) but they are wired together to help with starting.

The optional TP2 setup has one primary battery, and an isolated secondary battery for campers, or running pumps or a winch or whatever, without running down the primary battery.

You'll need to decide which direction you want to go.

The third type would be 24V, which was CUCV only.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 02-27-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:43 AM   #10
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Easy way to remember: series doubles voltage/amperage stays the same
and parallel doubles amperage/voltage stays the same.

My ‘78 factory diesel had two battery set up in parallel for the extra cranking amps needed to turn over a 22:1 diesel. The early diesels had to crank at like 750rpm or they wouldn’t start.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:55 PM   #11
SilverMiner

wazzabie - are you mostly concerned with factory dual-battery setups, or are you also interested in an aftermarket option?

I've been using the Hellroaring system in multiple vehicles over many, many years and I can't say enough good things about it. It is not the cheapest option but I've found it to be extremely reliable and easy to install. You could build a less expensive system using a Cole-Hersee relay, but the solid state system with install kit has been worth it to me.

I purchased an aftermarket battery tray rather than hunting for something from a diesel or similar in the junkyard and it went in without trouble. The Hellroaring system provides me with peace of mind when I park a rig in the boonies and then don't return for many hours or even sometimes days. The auxiliary battery is being charged while driving but becomes fully isolated by the solid state diode when the engine is off. It is a great comfort to know the engine will turn over when it counts.

Last edited by SilverMiner; 02-26-2022 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Fixed the Hellroaring link
SilverMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:01 PM   #12
wazzabie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMiner View Post
wazzabie - are you mostly concerned with factory dual-battery setups, or are you also interested in an aftermarket option?

I've been using the Hellroaring system in multiple vehicles over many, many years and I can't say enough good things about it. It is not the cheapest option but I've found it to be extremely reliable and easy to install. You could build a less expensive system using a Cole-Hersee relay, but the solid state system with install kit has been worth it to me.

I purchased an aftermarket battery tray rather than hunting for something from a diesel or similar in the junkyard and it went in without trouble. The Hellroaring system provides me with peace of mind when I park a rig in the boonies and then don't return for many hours or even sometimes days. The auxiliary battery is being charged while driving but becomes fully isolated by the solid state diode when the engine is off. It is a great comfort to know the engine will turn over when it counts.
I'm installing a winch and also want an auxiliary battery in case my main battery goes bad. I'm not sure what is the best setup yet. I would like to use the factory battery cables and make it stock looking as much as possible.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:25 PM   #13
SilverMiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzabie View Post
I'm installing a winch and also want an auxiliary battery in case my main battery goes bad. I'm not sure what is the best setup yet. I would like to use the factory battery cables and make it stock looking as much as possible.
If you are looking for peace of mind when using heavy draw auxiliary items like a winch, which was my goal as well, I can definitely recommend the Hellroaring system. The other benefit is that it is possible to gang both batteries using the Hellroaring switch in case the main battery gets weak or it is extremely cold out and you want to take advantage of both batteries for cranking.

I have no experience with factory GM setups, but it was easy to discretely place the solid state box along the radiator support in a way that was hidden and could resembles a factory dual battery setup.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:39 PM   #14
SilverMiner

The Hellroaring configuration I've used in all my vehicles (even the one without a winch but had a KICKIN stereo - over that now) is the BIC-95300B

Do check out their full web site, lots of good info and diagrams there.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:15 AM   #15
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Maybe this could be an option for you:
https://www.bluesea.com/products/761...12_24V_DC_120A

We use these in the boat world all the time. This unit will ensure you charge both batteries, but we’ll keep them isolated so you don’t accidentally kill your start battery when using the winch battery.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote