The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Re: 1986 K10 shorty revival

For the dye, I don't use the SEM stuff-there is a local paint shop that among other things, mixes custom vinyl interior paint. My door panels are the original blue color but I simply "fogged" them to freshen them up-I believe they use DuPont paint for interior spray dyes-on my can label it reads:

C8792J
Code: 24CN
Color: DK BLUE use 304S vinyl resin for low gloss
Year: 1987
SHADED

I basically took in a nice, clean untouched kick panel for them to scan and he suggested (as always-he's done a lot of interior dyes for me and they've all been perfect) to use a low gloss resin so they look factory when dry and not too glossy. Then, my cleaning process to remove all grime and prep for paint is to use a combination of hot water and Comet to clean the plastic surface-with a thorough cleaning, plastic primer is not required-the color adhesion is in the dye solvents themselves. I have restored a lot of gbody interiors so I am pretty experienced with my dyeing skills...lol. Attention to detail is the key. I try never to do complete color changes-that's just asking for trouble-I may dye it if it's close-like using red panels to dye brown, for example. Since my interior pieces were all blue to begin with, it took me 2 cans at a cost of $36 to freshen up the interior trim.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote