The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #1
abig84

1952 3800 front WMS, does it matter?

Starting to work on my 52 again, I'm building a custom ffront axle. It's basically a 1/2 inch thick tube with dana 44 8lug outers. Anyways I can cut it to have any width I want. Right now I have it cut to 63inces from wms to wms to match the rear 14bolt axle

I'm guessing there's a reason why with these trucks and almost every other truck I see the front never matches the back. So is there any downfall to leaving it at 63inches across? I figured it would look good but once I weld those outer C's to the tube it's gonna be a lot of work to grindoff all that weld.
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:18 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 1952 3800 front WMS, does it matter?

All I can say is set the tires and wheels of choice under the front end, space the out accordingly and stand back and look. It either looks the way you want it to or it doesn't.

Sounds like you are building your version of a postal Jeep front axle. The 1/2 thick wall pipe might be a bit of an overkill weight wise as it will probably weigh as much if not more than a similar zize 4x4 axle.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:17 AM   #3
Fred n' Ethel

Maybe mock it up (tacks) and loosely assemble to check all clearances through the entire range of turning motion with your chosen wheel/tire combo.
Fred n' Ethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #4
whitedog76

The WMS on the front axle of the AD trucks is actually narrower than the rear.

My 54 is 58.5 WMS. Your 3800 should've been the same.

I'm guessing you're going for the pre-runner lifted look?

So 63" may not be a big deal depending on how tall and wide of tire you're using. The stock trucks had kind of a tucked in the fender look anyhow. Most guys bump out the wheels to about 60" when doing IFS swaps.

More than likely the tire will stick out a little in the front and back.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
abig84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
All I can say is set the tires and wheels of choice under the front end, space the out accordingly and stand back and look. It either looks the way you want it to or it doesn't.

Sounds like you are building your version of a postal Jeep front axle. The 1/2 thick wall pipe might be a bit of an overkill weight wise as it will probably weigh as much if not more than a similar zize 4x4 axle.
yeah its basically a dana 4x4 axle... without the 4x4 part and the length i want. when i went to our metal supply place 1/2 inch thick is all they had, yeah its a little overkill but i dont mind. this truck is just gonna be like a weekend cruiser not meant to be fast.

i was just wondering if the front wms had any issue with going down the road, like is it going to pull or anything?

i would actually like to leave it wide as im also going to go with the 80s style gearbox, so right where i want to mount it the tires would hit it with the stock axle in place.

i just put the fenders back on it, guess im going to tack it up and make sure it doesnt rub or anything,
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote