The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #76
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

Re: Control arms

Is there an advantage/disadvantage running a tube vs flat plate? In terms of possibly running these trucks on a "road track", with air suspension?
JNJchev77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #77
Jeebus

Thats kind of a hard question to answer. i dont think the flat plate or tube arm will have as much of a difference in it. There both going to supply the same amount of stregnth and structure that would be needed, Both are going to be stronger than stock.

For something like that, your probably going to want whatever is the lightest option. I would guess you would want to fabricate your self some sheet metal arms, to keep them light, but very strong. Or even some Chromoly tubing so that you can cut down on the weight significantly, and keep them strong. Both of those options will be a bit pricier tho!

Taylor
Jeebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #78
dv8customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebus View Post
haha, thats a fact!

On a real note tho, whos the admin you would contact for becoming a vendor on the site?

Is there a certain one to contact? I know on some sites there are only certain ones that deal with the vendor information...

Taylor
Contact N2TRUX and he can point you in the right direction.
dv8customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #79
Jeebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8customs View Post
Contact N2TRUX and he can point you in the right direction.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #80
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJchev77 View Post
Is there an advantage/disadvantage running a tube vs flat plate? In terms of possibly running these trucks on a "road track", with air suspension?
The main advantage to a tube arm over a plate arm is the ability to engineer a more rigid part with less weight/mass. You will never see a performance or road race vehicle with custom arms made from plate. You will see lots of off-road arms made from chromoly sheet, but they're gonna be boxed 10ga.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #81
Jeebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
The main advantage to a tube arm over a plate arm is the ability to engineer a more rigid part with less weight/mass. You will never see a performance or road race vehicle with custom arms made from plate. You will see lots of off-road arms made from chromoly sheet, but they're gonna be boxed 10ga.

Do you ever make any sheet metal arms? Just curious your thoughts on them.

I have a customer that whats a set, made from 11g for his off road dakota. Im trying to set up how im going to situate the inside bracing... i kind of had a honeycomb idea to skeleton the inside of the arm to keep it stiff....

I dont know anyone who has made any arms like this, so i figured i would ask.

Taylor
Old 11-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #82
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

Quote:
Figured the tubes to be much lighter and, at the least, just as strong. Thanks Nate
JNJchev77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #83
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebus View Post
Do you ever make any sheet metal arms? Just curious your thoughts on them.

I have a customer that whats a set, made from 11g for his off road dakota. Im trying to set up how im going to situate the inside bracing... i kind of had a honeycomb idea to skeleton the inside of the arm to keep it stiff....

I dont know anyone who has made any arms like this, so i figured i would ask.

Taylor

Honeycomb might be a little overkill, but you are on the right track. For an off-road arm like that look into building it like an upside down truss from a house. Where the peak faces the ground. Integrate the lower coil-over mount into the arm towards the middle of the truss, and recessed into the arm. You can design the coil-over mount to also be bracing for the boxed arm. Keep it light and make it strong at the same time. There are a bunch of off-road forums where you can see some examples... some good, some bad.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #84
Jeebus

Quote:
Honeycomb might be a little overkill, but you are on the right track. For an off-road arm like that look into building it like an upside down truss from a house. Where the peak faces the ground. Integrate the lower coil-over mount into the arm towards the middle of the truss, and recessed into the arm. You can design the coil-over mount to also be bracing for the boxed arm. Keep it light and make it strong at the same time. There are a bunch of off-road forums where you can see some examples... some good, some bad.

Thanks for the info!

It seems like the site im usually on pirate4x4 has far too many bad examples haha.

He wants the arms a bit wider than stock as well. do you think it is a must to build them from chromoly sheet? or will standard mild steel suffice?

Taylor
Old 11-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #85
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Guys I did a little editing so we can stay on topic. Lets share the knowledge, and leave the BS out of it.
Apparently I was too polite in this post. I just spent 20 minutes editing the BS out because this is a good post that is worth saving.

Let me make myself perfectly clear here. Take your BS bickering to PM or you will be banned.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 11-06-2010 at 11:12 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #86
DHPmike

On a performance arm the structure and weight are important but they are also equaled by the bushings you use. If you want to use the truck for autocross or pro touring you can also go with heim joints. If you want to stay with poly then I suggest Energy Suspension Graphite Impregnated polyurethane. Great road feel without feeling every pebble.

On an upper tube arm adjustable ends would help for autocross or pro touring since you can adjust in more negative camber at the track easily without losing your street alignment.

On a Lower for this application you may want to go with something that has several holes in the lower for a coilover or one that has a spring cup and a coilover mount that bolts into the spring cup.

Then theres sway bar tabs or none, shoch tabs or none etc.

Many options are available in custom built arms. If you want to stick with something off the shelf you will have to do more research into whats available in options.
DHPmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #87
NZSquare

Im a bit late in the thread here but thought I should add:

I have a set of CPP arms and the lowest point now is the tube that runs parallel to the cross shaft, see below under the jack pad. Its not by alot but still kind of odd I thought, or it may be that the arms I bought were early ones, I got them off ebay. Aside from that Im happy with them.

And thanks for the thread clean-up, its does have a bunch of good info.

Last edited by NZSquare; 11-07-2010 at 05:21 AM.
NZSquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #88
DHPmike

If they cause a problem just have them modified. If you got them off Ebay then you dont have to worry about a warranty.
DHPmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #89
sixtyeightchevykid

this is an old thread but might be worht bringing it back to life... is it possible to put control arms from another vehicle on 67-72 trucks?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #90
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyeightchevykid View Post
this is an old thread but might be worht bringing it back to life... is it possible to put control arms from another vehicle on 67-72 trucks?
Yes.
73-87 truck a-arms.
73-91 suburban a-arms.
73-82 2wd blazer a-arms.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote