The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
tinydb84

Building an inner frame stiffener

I have a build thread on here but as the site is so huge I am making a specific thread here so I can get more input.

My build was supposed to be a mild rebuild with a static drop...then it kinda got out of hand and is turning into something that could handle pretty well. I was in the process of building a trans crossmember and decided that I want to build an inner frame stiffener out of it (because why not?). I have set most of it up to lay rocker, and would still like to do so.

I have been looking at Porterbuilt's parts and plan on "borrowing" some ideas from him. Since I already "borrowed" ideas from Rob at No Limit and The Astronaut.

Here is where I am at:
4'' Z with 2.5'' SFBD

Lower ball joints moved forward 5/8''

Crossmember sectioned to drop the engine 2.5''

Engine moved back 3'' to clear the steering center link

Running a 5.3/4l80 that will be turbo with fender exit exhaust so I have plenty of space underneath.

Here is the start of my trans crossmember:

Questions for all you engineering types out there....

I am going to do the forward bars next. I can run them all the way just past the front body mounts (I will have to fill and patch the parking brake section on the frame). The other option would be to mount them at the body mounts or just before them. Any rational for each position? Is there a significant benefit to gusset where the tubes tie in? Say dimple die 1/8'' plate?

I only have 4 inches of frame height to mount the inner section too. I would assume it would be better to make the mounts bolt in at different heights along the frame to give it more "structure" (I dont know a better term for this). This will eventually also extend rearward once I start doing my four link.

Lastly, I have access to my neighbors tubing bender but....he only has 1.25'' dies. I could also just buy the tube and have a local shop bend it for me. Would there be a significant benefit to going 1.5 over 1.25? Stylistically do you think it would look odd with the center bars being 1.5 and the forward (and eventual rearward) bars being 1.25''?
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote