The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
JimJones

NV4500 questions

Hey guys after a recent thread on here where I was asking for manual transmission recommendations I am leaning towards using a NV4500 for my build. I have been doing some reading about this tranny and have a some questions about it and I figured rather than add to the old thread I would just start a new one.

Some of the things I'm wondering are as follows:
1. Do I need any kind of adapters or anything to make this work with a SBC and NP205 transfer case or will everything bolt together without issue? From what research I have done I think a NV4500 and a " 32 spline round pattern 205" will bolt together without any adapters. Is this correct? Also what bell housing will I need and where can I buy one?
2. Will this bolt up to the factory transmission cross member or will a custom piece have to be fabricated?
3. Any info you guys can give me on how to set up the clutch would be greatly appreciated. I have more research to do on this but what is better a manual or hydraulic clutch and why?
4. Since I don’t have my "project" truck yet how important is it that the truck I buy for my restoration project come equipped with a manual tranny? Will it make any difference in the long run if I do a frame off on a truck that came with an auto vs. a manual?
5. While researching this tranny I came across this YouTube vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVLLTGLUhMg

what's up with this? Is it pretty common for these tranny to lose 5th gear? Is this something that I won't have to worry about if I get my tranny form someplace that knows how to rebuild them properly? My ultimate goal with this build is to wind up with a finished product that can fill in the role of a reliable daily driver if I so choose. I don’t want nor can I afford something that is in the shop all the time getting repaired. 100% 450hp 100k mi reliability is an absolute must I don’t want to be out 100mi from nowhere and breakdown. Also I can't call my boss and tell him "I won't be in for work today because my truck broke down" that just won't fly.
6. I also came across this page

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nv4500.htm

They say that the gear selection is inferior to other manual transmission choices out there. From what I can gather I think they are mostly a Jeep site so do they say this because a stock Jeep does not put out enough power to be able to run at a decent rate with the gearing that the NV4500 offers? If I'm off base with my assumption then what doing they mean?
I don’t know enough about transmissions to know what they are talking about but they also say that the main shaft clutch splines and hubs are week and wear out. I'm assuming that this is related to the video from above but like I said I don’t know too much about the internal components of transmissions to have an educated opinion on the subject.
7. Does Hurst make a shifter for this tranny that will work in a 67-72 C10? Not just a chrome leaver but a real shifter. I don’t want to feel like I'm rowing a boat every time I drive this truck. I know it will never be like a new Viper but I would like a nice short throw Hurst shifter with the white knob

I guess the last question is do you guys think this is the best tranny for me? Motor I plan on running is a 450hp small block. I won't be doing any rock crawling or mud bogging EVER. Mostly street and rough dirt roads. It might see occasional mud if I get stuck in a corn field after a heavy rain or something but I'm not spending all this money to do this project to bury it up to the doors in mud. Not that I'll be afraid to drive it but just not like that. Is this tranny a good match to the engine that I want to run? Or is it better suited for low speed rock crawling?
If you guys don’t think that this is the best tranny for my needs what tranny would you recommend that will work with a married transfer case?
Also please don’t waste the bandwidth recommending an auto. This is my personal opinion but I would sooner go out and buy a Prius than put an auto trans behind a 450 hp motor.
JimJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: NV4500 questions

Looking at your profile it appears you already have a couple threads going with similar questions.

I'd do a search on this site for swaps that have already been done. They already know which trans will bolt to which transfer case with what type of fabrication.

Yes, behind the beating of a Cummins diesel the 5th gear nut would sometimes come loose. Well known problem.

There are aftermarket short throw shifters. I've never used one on a truck transmission but the Dodge forums give them mixed reviews. It's still a slow shifting truck transmission.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
WIDESIDE72

Sorry I cant help with swap questions, but I had an nv4500 in a 93 gmc k2500 i pulled out of a pasture. Truck had 200k on it. It had a blown 350 engine, 4.10 gears. Solid truck otherwise, bought it for $500. I swapped in another 350, installed a new ram clutch, and changed the fluid in the trans and it worked great. I drove it a few years and sold the teuck when i bought an 02 2500hd duramax/ allison.

From my research i have found that the 93 had a super low first gear that was only used a few years. It was a definite stump puller. Never used first unless towing AND starting on a dead stop uphill. Second was good otherwise. One of the keys to longevity of the nv4500 is to only use the specified (expensive) synthetic fluid. Anything else like standard 90w gear oil will kill it quick. Not a big deal since i think the oil change interval was 36k miles anyway.

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 04-24-2014 at 11:51 AM.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
WIDESIDE72

http://www.quad4x4.com/Causes%20of%2...20Failures.htm
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote