The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2018, 12:44 AM   #1
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I suck at EQ's help me out.

Audio settings baffle me after the basic stuff, so help me out here.
2005 Yukon,factory Bose system (oe sub not used). Added a Pioneer 4200NEX, and a 12" L7 with a Kicker 600w amp.

I have EQ and audio settings on the deck (graphic EQ, etc), and a set of knobs on the amp itself. People have said use one or the other, not both... but they don't have the same settings?

I've seen other posts saying to set the amp "neutral" or "flat", but what is flat in terms of my amp? Its not like the settings are all 0-10.

I'll post a pic of the amp settings when i can. My system sound alright, but the sub is very boomy on some tracks, and yet lacks volume on others. I've played with settings before but I don't think I'm helping.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
slowcpe

Re: I suck at EQ's help me out.

Usually you want to use the source that has the best settings and adjust it there. Essentially the EQ in the head unit will give you more adjustability. I don't know anything about the gear you have so my response may be a bit vague.

Most amps will have a gain and crossover settings. Some will have a "Bass Boost", I'd leave that off. Also turn the LOUD option off in the headunit. Check to see if your headunit has a low-pass crossover for the sub output. If so then you will probably be fine doing all the adjustments from there. It'll be easier to fine tune. If you go this route I'd start with the sub amp gain about 75-80% and the crossover all the way to the highest setting (200-250hz). If not set your LP crossover on the amp in the 80hz range and tweak from there.

Now I'm a big fan of a volume control just for the subwoofer, a lot of sub amps have them. Some HUs have this option built-in. I constantly dial in the bass level according to the music I listen to and the mood I'm in.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Alright I'll start there and see where I can get. Here are pics of the amp and settings screens. Bandwidth and center frequency on the amp are confusing me, and I can't find much reference to WHAT it actually means in terms of audio. The last couple are for audio imaging I think? I can get a mic and actually do the listening position calibrations if its beneficial.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Alright I made some progress, I think. I disabled the deck LPF since I was using the one on the amp. That helped with some weirdness in the sounds.

I also used that time align thing in the last pics. the size of the Yukon cabin didn't help the sound, and the time align put the bass back with the rest of the audio.

I still gotta work on the actual eq settings for the speakers, and figure out what the bandwidth and subsonic will do for me.