The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2020, 02:40 PM   #1
eighteenninetytwo

Rack n pinion steering kit

I recall seeing one a couple of year sback and thinking that in time it might be a cool thing to change out on the blazer. Seem sit might have some time at home what with COVID 19 etc etc so has anyone changed out the steering in this way? Good ? bad? indifferent? worth it? etc etc
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Rack n pinion steering kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenninetytwo View Post
I recall seeing one a couple of year sback and thinking that in time it might be a cool thing to change out on the blazer. Seem sit might have some time at home what with COVID 19 etc etc so has anyone changed out the steering in this way? Good ? bad? indifferent? worth it? etc etc
The Fox body rack, and pinion works well from what have read. Watch the details as a matched pump/rack work so much better.

The guy I saw do it online used wood blocks to get his level against the frame along with it being in the right plane across the time rods. Then cut tube when the right length was determined.

Only bad news in have heard from it. Is that it is sometimes not up to the task of larger rims with stickier tires. Although very few, and far between. Guys probably raced alot or were sitting turning the wheels, and that it may not of liked it.

Other then that supposedly tightens up steering much better then traditional performance parts.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
eighteenninetytwo

Thank you. I assume by the mention of 'cutting'that this isn't a Bolt on / ready to go kit. or it that just a myth and they will ALL require some form of engineering at that level?
Old 03-26-2020, 08:00 PM   #4
BaggedRanger

If you plan on bagging it or running coil overs get a dropped crossmember. With the dropped crossmember you swap over to a rack and pinion kit.
BaggedRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:52 PM   #5
eighteenninetytwo

Follow up on the Rack n Pinion kit thing. I found one at LMC which stated it worked for the 4WD blazer - and it didn't, which we found out after the fact. So I had to ship it back and get a refund. net result is that I'm still driving a vehicle with imprecise and fluffy steering.

I'll research the fox kit, but one more request if anyone has done this themselves with a 4WD Blazer what kit did you use, and what difference did it make? Currently I wont take the blazer on the freeway and it would be useful to be able to do that without needing to change my pants.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:01 PM   #6
Irish1941

There no way to use a rack on a 4wd solid axle truck.
You could do ram assist with cross over. Kinda over kill for mostly street truck.
Or...
Do what I do. Rebuild the entire front end (balljoints, bearings etc) and add a WFO tierod, then use weld in frame brace as well as the bolt on one to front crossmember to lock in the steering box.
Add a Redhead steering box and lose the rag joint on steering shaft. Use a Borgsen joint instead. Night and day difference.
New bushings in the springs front and rear. I could do 80mph, driving with one hand on 33s with cruise on.
Irish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:01 PM   #7
eighteenninetytwo

Sorry getting back to this. Thank you for this suggestion. Couple of questions about this.
@irish1941. Are you actually welding a new steering box into place between a brace and the frame or welding in place a new brace and then bolting the steering box to both it and the existing frame? Could you post a couple of pictures of the set up please?

Last edited by eighteenninetytwo; 01-12-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:31 PM   #8
Irish1941

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenninetytwo View Post
Sorry getting back to this. Thank you for this suggestion. Couple of questions about this.
@irish1941. Are you actually welding a new steering box into place between a brace and the frame or welding in place a new brace and then bolting the steering box to both it and the existing frame? Could you post a couple of pictures of the set up please?
Nope. Its a bolt on brace. AutoFab makes them. No welding but you'll be drilling a hole. There is a difference between 73-80 and 81-87(91)
https://autofab.com/c-335628-truck-f...epair-kit.html
Good pix in this thread so you get idea how it goes on.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=694692
Or here...2wd but you'll get the idea
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...?topic=23828.0
There is weld on frame plates if your frame is cracked which it be could. See above link.
Only way to tell in take off the PS box and look for stress cracks around the bolt holes on the frame. Ive used bolt on brace on repaired frames.
Irish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote