The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2023, 11:17 AM   #1
PbFut

Large Diameter Wheels Sunday Ramblings

Is it me? Am I just getting that old? I was looking through D.B.’s post of C10’s in the Park and was surprised by how many trucks had way oversized diameter wheels with rubber bands for tires. Don’t these guys know how rough it makes the ride? Our suspensions were designed with sidewall flex in mind. Given, it was a Bias Ply tire which was much stiffer than today's radials. The look reminds me of a Calistoga Wagon. I get form over function, but this stuff looks way out of proportion. What’s the draw?
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:02 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Large Diameter Wheels Sunday Ramblings

Guess I'm like you, don't get it either. I see that and that is far as I go giving any other looks to the truck. I figure anything else at that point is not worth my time. I am not a fan of taking a classic truck and the first thing on my mind is too see how far I can slam it on the ground and start scraping the frame rails. I did have 69 shorty step years ago that I did lower.. I dropped the front maybe 1-1/2 and the rear almost 3. I had some nice fat cooper tires on it that filled out the wheel wells. Wish I could find my photos of it.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:03 PM   #3
MS66

Trendy. Gotta be cool like everybody else. I like 15s for some reason....
Anyway, it's easier to fill the wheel openings with the huge wheel/tire package for that "look", comfort doesn't play a part in being cool.
MS66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:15 PM   #4
Getter-Done

Yeah
I was noticing that also.

More than 50% of the trucks on the ground and big wheels.

I then remembered when I was young,

The old timers in town saying what did you do all that to your car/truck for?
Why don't you just drive it.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:31 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I am officially Old. Some old folks might like the look, but I ain't one of them. To me, any vehicle that is meant to be driven (especially a truck) needs some sidewall. And a wheel diameter no more than 2" larger than factory.
Besides just looking silly, a lot of rigs with rubber bands stretched over large-diameter wheels have stock brakes. Which means tiny, and looks even sillier. But that's just the opinion of this old man.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 01:06 PM   #6
Warrens69GMC

I have been looking at 15-18" wheels and tires.

Some 18's can have decent sidewall and fill the wheel well as well. Here are 2 options. Some are almost half the cost of 15's
Attached Images

Last edited by Warrens69GMC; 09-17-2023 at 01:13 PM.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 01:50 PM   #7
Jason Banks

"Don’t these guys know how rough it makes the ride? Our suspensions were designed with sidewall flex in mind."

They/we don't care. Everyone likes something different.

Many of the trucks on the bigger wheels also have modified suspensions. Coil over's or air bags, or just different shocks springs, bigger/added sway bars etc...

You can see by my message board join date I've been around a while. Maybe Liz or someone can confirm, but I'm pretty sure I was a member before 1999 but they changed message board systems and everyone had to make a new account. I may not remember correctly.

Back in the 90's I couldn't even imagine putting on the 17 inch wheels that were becoming popular. But tastes evolve.

Pictures of my trucks are posted over there in Post #10, Picture #1 and Picture #4
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...8&postcount=10

I have a lowered shortbed on 20's with an LS swap and a Longbed on 15" steelies with dog dish caps and close to the pizza cutter tires, with a straight 6 3OTT...

Everybody's tastes are different. That was my take away from going to C10's in the park yesterday. There's some thing for everyone. I definitely saw some things I would never do, or didn't understand, but I would never come out in public questioning why..........
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 03:41 PM   #8
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

When did it matter what someone else's truck has for wheels?
Is your purist coming out?
Old 09-17-2023, 04:29 PM   #9
D.B

To each his own!! Hey, this saying could also go into the old man saying post.

I can respect all of the trucks that people build. I was not an LS swap fan at first but now I am starting to see the benefits of it. I also was not a patina fan. But after seeing the cost for paint and body work then add the stress of driving a nice painted truck. The patina look is one way of getting your ride on the rode without stressing over it.

I also drag race. Remember back when cars on the tracks were raised in the front for weight transfer, the gasser look. These cars were scary rides but cool looking. Now the cars are lowered down, more aerodynamic and extremely fast.

Times change, people change and so does everything else eventually. I am just happy the younger crowd is getting involved.
D.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 05:03 PM   #10
mr.mud1

certainly to each their own,i like what i like and they can do what floats their boat but the big wheels,short sidewall tires aren't for me.i noticed one short bed truck with huge wheels,it threw off the proportions of the truck?in my opinion.patina trucks too,i know it's very popular but again,not for me.i'm like an old crow,i like shiny things,but as mentioned,at least some of the younger crowd is involved.i love that and am thrilled when i get asked about some of my stuff by young folks especially.it would be boring if we all did the them same thing?
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 05:11 PM   #11
D.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
certainly to each their own,i like what i like and they can do what floats their boat but the big wheels,short sidewall tires aren't for me.i noticed one short bed truck with huge wheels,it threw off the proportions of the truck?in my opinion.patina trucks too,i know it's very popular but again,not for me.i'm like an old crow,i like shiny things,but as mentioned,at least some of the younger crowd is involved.i love that and am thrilled when i get asked about some of my stuff by young folks especially.it would be boring if we all did the them same thing?
Amen
D.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 05:36 PM   #12
weq92f

While I haven't looked yet at the C10s in the park picture post, I have seen this trending over the last couple of years. Each their own for sure, but I must say, the look of a truck layin' frame in a parking lot is something I sort of like! However, I'm not a fan of bags and so prefer static drop suspension components, which is what I'm running.

Also the stock brakes looking NOT the business in the vast expanse of a 22 or 24 inch wheel is something I chuckle about often. I see it mostly on the lifted trucks with huge wheels though.

I am guilty myself running 20" wheels with stock size front disks...but I'm about a quarter of the way to my target wilwood setup having purchased the wilwood modular front spindles. Just need the disks/calipers/brackets/pads and hardware now

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 05:37 PM   #13
72c20customcamper

My 68 came from the factory with 17s so it really isn’t anything new the sidewalls on the tires that’s a different story . I like the look but wouldn’t put 20s and low profile tires on any of my trucks .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 06:15 PM   #14
truckster

I'll admit, the steelies that seem really popular, with or without hubcaps, don't do it for me. I tossed my factory-option white spoke wheels. I also don't like the huge wheels that are popular with the younger crowd.

I really like the rally wheels on my Blazer. Yes, I know they're not original. I don't care. I think they look really good with a set of BFG All-Terrain 33" tires on them.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:26 PM   #15
jessemthompson

I believe this community is mature enough to respect another persons build. You do what you want to do to your truck and I’ll do what I want. I had a guy at a show on Friday tell me people were giving him crap for wanting to turn the bed of his long bed into a bar. I told him, “it’s your truck, you do what you want to it”.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 08:44 PM   #16
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I am not a fan of big wheels either, but I appreciate anyone who loves their truck. As mentioned to each thier own.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 09:06 PM   #17
davischevy

I have opinions and I like what I like. I figure if that guy likes it and paid for it, I am happy for him. I try to never disrespect someone's ride.

That said, following trends can get expensive.

I will admit I have some trucks lowered, some stock and some lifted.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 10:09 PM   #18
Getter-Done

I agree and your thumbnail really (Shines) in this situation.

Your Thumbnail will hold True for years and years to come.

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 11:30 PM   #19
indymachinist

IMO, 17” is as big as I’d run on a 67-72. I try not to hate on people with the huge wheels too much though.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 12:10 AM   #20
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Sometimes big wheels are necessary for bigger brakes.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2023, 01:34 AM   #21
Richard

Converted my K10 to 1 ton suspension. Purchased a set of 17" mag wheels I am going to use. My thought is they are close to 16.5's and will look period correct with more tire options. Yes, do not care for the 22"-24"+ wheels myself. But I do not bat an eye for what you like on your rig. To each their own. We are all unique.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 07:32 AM   #22
Danyo492

I personally think 20's look more proportional on a C10, but I also love how 15's look with a meaty tire. I love a laid out C10 and I also love C10s that are more "driver" oriented. To each their own.
Danyo492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 11:13 AM   #23
MikeB

I don't know where the big wheel craze started, but it's perpetuated by TV shows. It's always one of the first things they mention before they do the build, and the first thing the happy owner notices when it's finished. Maybe one out of twenty customers will ask for OE size wheels, but even then the shop owner tries to talk him out of it.

As for big brakes, that's a good reason for bigger wheels, but I'm pretty happy with the stopping power of 73-87 discs with semi-metallic pads on the front of my 69 C10. They were designed with a >1/2 ton load in mind, which most of our trucks won't see. Might be a different story if you drive really fast or do autocross. And even then, I think Wilwood and others make 4-piston calipers that will clear a 15" wheel, along with more aggressive pads.

But if you like the looks of big wheels, enjoy them!
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 09-18-2023 at 11:47 AM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 11:36 AM   #24
67C10Step

I really like them all, from the roughest driver builds to the six figure builds. A lot of stuff I see is not my cup of tea but every one of these trucks saved from being rebar or I beams is a plus.

I am not a huge fan of the 22+ sizes on these trucks, but that is my opinion only and others differs from mine. I've seen some setups with 18's that I like and would consider that if I were doing a really nice build.
2024 Toyota Tundra
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 10:07 PM   #25
LS short box

So I like the bigger diameter wheels. My 68 had 20's. Also had 14" C5 ZO6 brakes on the front. I don't care for 22's or 24's.
Pic of my 68.
Sorry pics wouldn't upload.
Attached Images

Last edited by LS short box; 09-20-2023 at 04:40 PM.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote