The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2023, 07:39 PM   #1
SilverGT3RS

Need help with rebuilding my front end

Hey everyone

I’m in the process of completely rebuilding my front end on my 67 C10.

As of now, I’ve installed a new Borgeson quick ratio steering box, adjusted my pressure on my PS pump (it’s a LS Swap) and I’ve centered the steering wheel and box so that the turns are equal L to R.

Obviously the pitman arm is still off, but the steering wheel/rag joint is reconnected and everything looks good there. What is my next step? Do I go ahead and remove the center link, tie rods, drag link etc? I have all my new Moog parts ready to go.

My main question is- do I need to worry about anything being screwed up as long as my wheels, steering wheel and steering box stay straight? As of right now everything looks correct, pitman will be 90 degrees perpendicular to the drag link etc.

Any help or tips appreciated!
SilverGT3RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 12:09 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Need help with rebuilding my front end

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGT3RS View Post
Hey everyone

As of now, I’ve installed a new Borgeson quick ratio steering box, adjusted my pressure on my PS pump (it’s a LS Swap) and I’ve centered the steering wheel and box so that the turns are equal L to R.

Obviously the pitman arm is still off, but the steering wheel/rag joint is reconnected and everything looks good there. What is my next step? Do I go ahead and remove the center link, tie rods, drag link etc? I have all my new Moog parts ready to go.

My main question is- do I need to worry about anything being screwed up as long as my wheels, steering wheel and steering box stay straight? As of right now everything looks correct, pitman will be 90 degrees perpendicular to the drag link etc.

Starting with your wheels straight does it turn as sharp left as it does right? I had to remove my pitman arm and groove the flats so I could install it where I needed to, to correct that.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 08:17 AM   #3
SilverGT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Starting with your wheels straight does it turn as sharp left as it does right? I had to remove my pitman arm and groove the flats so I could install it where I needed to, to correct that.

LockDoc
Hmm. Good question. I don’t have the Pitman arm installed- I figured I’d put everything together at one time. I’m assuming since I bought a high quality Borgeson box that any issues would be minimal as far as the steering went.
Old 09-20-2023, 09:29 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Hmm. Good question. I don’t have the Pitman arm installed- I figured I’d put everything together at one time. I’m assuming since I bought a high quality Borgeson box that any issues would be minimal as far as the steering went.

I'm not familiar with the Borgeson boxes, maybe you can install the pitman arm in any position you want on those. That would be nice. Just something to check.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 12:13 PM   #5
OregonNed

Quote:
Hey everyone

I am getting ready to do the same in December as a first retirement project. Lately I have been researching the same on YouTube, and found a video that is pretty good. It is for a 60-66 truck but it should be very similar - at least the process for yours. Mine is a 68 and I bought all new Moog parts too.

https://youtu.be/WAPQCZnguvI?si=Nd2ZyTOYIKLCm39S
Old 09-20-2023, 04:45 PM   #6
SilverGT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonNed View Post
I am getting ready to do the same in December as a first retirement project. Lately I have been researching the same on YouTube, and found a video that is pretty good. It is for a 60-66 truck but it should be very similar - at least the process for yours. Mine is a 68 and I bought all new Moog parts too.

https://youtu.be/WAPQCZnguvI?si=Nd2ZyTOYIKLCm39S
I appreciate it! I’ll let you know how it’s going. Not a lot of replies here, but I’m diving in. I’m contemplating going with tubular upper arms to help with camber and caster.
Old 09-20-2023, 05:40 PM   #7
OregonNed

That sounds great! Good luck with the rebuild!
Old 09-22-2023, 10:01 AM   #8
bowtie72

If this is your first time I would do one side at a time. The center link can be installed upside down and cause you some headaches. Count the turns on your tie rod ends taking them apart and install the same number. This will get you close enough to get to an alignment shop.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:23 AM   #9
Jason Banks

You can either count the turns like bowtie72 recommends, or, I usually replace inner, outer, and the tie rod sleeve as an assembly. I take the old one out and just build the new one up to the same length as the old one, that way when you put it back in, your alignment is really close.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 12:28 PM   #10
SilverGT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
You can either count the turns like bowtie72 recommends, or, I usually replace inner, outer, and the tie rod sleeve as an assembly. I take the old one out and just build the new one up to the same length as the old one, that way when you put it back in, your alignment is really close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie72 View Post
If this is your first time I would do one side at a time. The center link can be installed upside down and cause you some headaches. Count the turns on your tie rod ends taking them apart and install the same number. This will get you close enough to get to an alignment shop.
Nice pointers! Thank you guys for popping in to help me out. I started tackling this last night and I am in fact doing one side at a time AND taking a ton of pictures!