The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2003, 03:43 PM   #1
72BLAZERDUDE

Exhaust Questions

Im replacing the exhaust on my 2wd Blazer. It is leaking pretty badly so I cant wait until the new motor is ready. I am going to go with coated shorty headers. It still has the stock 307 but I will be going up to a 383. Do I need to go up to 2 1/2 exhaust with the 383 or is 2 1/4 correct. Should I go with stainless pipe or regular. And does it matter if I decide to have everything coated. If I go with stainless can I just paint the system with high temp paint. Does the rest of the system other than the headers get to hot. If I want to coat or paint the system do I have to let the guy that is doing the work know before he starts. So It can be taken apart after it is installed or what is the best method to get it done. Never had to have one completly replaced so just not sure of the correct order tohave things done. It will be driven everyday so I dont have forever to have the truck down with no exhaust. Maybe just weekends. I realize that this is alot of questions but I need to order mufflers and pipe as soon as possible.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:55 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I'd run aluminized 2 1/2 exhaust on your truck. It might be a teeny bit big for a 307, but the stroker will love it.

I see where you live, across town from me really. All the local shop in this area keep 2 1/2 aluminized pipe in stock. Your mufflers will almost surely be aluminized. When they get the system done, touch up the welds with aluminum colored spray paint.

This system won't be as sexy as some jet hot coated front to back system, but it will be pretty cheap and last forever in our climate. Looks great too!