The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #51
Rich84

Re: Looking for my Dad's truck My dads 1978 Chevrolet Pickup Ontario

Congratulations on locating the truck...Mission 1/2 way acomplished.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #52
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Glad you found it. Sucks it got all hacked up.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #53
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
Congratulations on locating the truck...Mission 1/2 way acomplished.
x2

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #54
79 blue monster

glad u found it, any updates?
79 blue monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #55
tucsonjwt

So, here is the bright side - you now can see the truck in person and gather all of the pertinent information relating to the truck - VIN, installed options, original inside/outside color, etc. If the current owners don't want to part with it unless you pay big $$$, then you have to decide what the sentimental value is for you. With all of he data you can reconstruct the exact vehicle from a rust free body/frame obtained elsewhere.

The issue would be how much they want for the truck as is and how much it would take to remove the mods and bring it back to stock. My guess is that would cost much more than rebuilding another truck. The name the have on the truck indicates that they have invested a lot of money in it,, and probably would want to get that money back out of it. I'll bet they have $15K easy in it as it sits.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #56
Shugalou

Hey guys sorry it's taken a while to get back on here to post updates.

Here's the latest.

After I left my contact info I waited a week and never got a call back, I wasn't sure how to take it but I figured people are busy so I'll follow up.

I spoke with my Dad's friend and he was very friendly over the phone but he did indicate that a lot of work has been done, we didn't get into major details but he said inner fenders are off (not a big deal) and that they dumped about 8gs into the motor. He mentioned that he would love to show me the truck and asked if I was interested in buying it which I replied "I'm not really sure because it's far from what it was"...This is a conversation I would like to have in person to see how I feel when I see the truck.

He did mention that whenever I'm ready to come out and take a look at to give him a shout the night before and he'll have it at his property for me to see which I thought was very accomodating.

Overall I am very happy with how things have unfolded, and I am trying to make arrangements this week to meet him and talk more in detail about the truck. At first it was disheartening to hear that it was used for tractor pulling because I know the abuse it would have gone through...but the other side of me is happy to know that this was taken care of, maintained and most of all pushed to the max because I know my dad loved opening that thing up.

I'll post back when I have updates and pictures...I would really like to take my boys to see this thing in action over the summer so we'll see how it all works out.

Is there any sort of database I can run the VIN to find more details on the truck? I have the UVIP in front of me but it doesn't provide a lot of info.

Thanks guys for all the posts
Shugalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #57
Shugalou

Tuscon

I bet you are pretty damn close with that estimate.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #58
Shugalou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC's76 View Post
Good Luck I hope they let it come back home! I still drive my truck which was my dads this April will be 11 years since he has been gone. My brothers got his other truck 86 GMC and his 56 buick special. There actually selling them makes me sad but in a way I hope they go to a good home rather then rusting in thier driveways.

That's awesome that your family has held onto all the vehicles for so long but your right better to go to a good home then just waste away.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #59
2001HD6.0

I truck pull with that truck, but it seems you are already in contact with the owner. Used to be a dark green, seemed like a clean truck.

Last edited by 2001HD6.0; 03-12-2013 at 11:19 AM.
2001HD6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #60
Shugalou

2001 HD. Are you kidding me?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #61
2001HD6.0

ahh you prob read that wrong, i truck pull against it, or used to, it jumped up a couple classes but its still around.
2001HD6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #62
Shugalou

That's awesome, I thought your were the owners son for a second...Either way very cool that you recognize it and thanks for posting about it.

I gotta see this thing in action.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #63
Shugalou

FOUND my Dad's truck My dads 1978 Chevrolet Pickup Ontario

OK guys a bit more of an update.

I finally got to see the truck and it is far from what it was. It's been gutted and rebuilt strictly for pulling. Runs on race gas only, different axels, single seat and probably a bunch of other things.

The owner was a very decent guy. He knew exactly were I was coming from and agreed to work with me on making it happen.

Something I didn't anticipate was when he took me into his basement he showed me a bunch of trophies the truck won in pulling in the state that he got it from my dad. Pretty cool there must have been 20-30, my camara died otherwise I would share that with you guys.

So right now neither of us are in a rush and agreed that maybe a transaction will take place in the summer. As much as I want it I'm on the fence a bit because it will require a lot of money and time to even get it on the road let alone make it shine.

The name Wasted Wages is very suiting for this truck.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #64
tucsonjwt

So, I would think the $$ to bring this truck back to stock would cost way too much for me. How much does he want for it as it sits? A more faithful replica of the original truck would be cheaper to rebuild from another donor truck. This truck will need a lot of repair/patching. Don't know how much sentimental value is worth in time and money.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #65
Shugalou

Yeah I know, that's what's on my mind with it also. Fortunately there is no rush to make a decision.

Both tanks have been removed, the drivers door is screwed because it slipped off the trailor...No doubt it would take a lot of time and money.

We were throwing around some ruff numbers and he said he wouldn't rape me on and would work with me, so it might even be an option to get it as a rolling chassis since he want's the motor.

I'm not scared to take on a big job...just not sure what I would be getting into with this, I don't have a lot of the larger tools (air compressor, hoist), limited funds and limited knowledge of trucks.

With that said though, if I'm going to take on a project and restore something this would be it. If I didn't see what some of you guys have done on this site it would be much easier to walk away but I've now seen what can be done so I have a mental goal.

I would just have to be realistic with how long it will take to complete...Might be a 10 year project. Who knows

Side note, I have a few beers with my brother in law in the garage and we're talking about the truck and I'm showing the pictures. I come in turn on the tube to speed and gears is on. Stacy David is showing how to convert a chev long box frame to accept a shortbox...I have to say that was a sign.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #66
Shugalou

Also Heater and Air are gone...Can't remember about the power steering. E brake also gone.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #67
bohmankid

It looks like almost all of the money has been put into the motor. Some into the suspension. If he takes the motor, you should pick up that truck for super cheap. I don't know what is done to it besides the paint, so I would say without the motor that truck may not be worth more than $3K. And that's generous.
You could sell the old parts you take off it and you won't be so much in the hole making it what it used to be. replace front fenders, repaint, interior, and 'normal' suspension. easy-peasy. Plus it's a cool story to tell your grandkids! and all that mumbo-jumbo.
bohmankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #68
Shugalou

Well I'm still keeping an open mind...I checked it out again last night and noticed the floor was rotted.

The frame may be twisted, for sure the shock shackles are bowing so there is a lot of work required.

The owner is totally cool with holding onto it for a while and hasn't mislead me or anything and he agrees that it would take a lot of work to bring it back.

So for now I'm waiting until I have the funds and time to dedicate towards it. In meantime I will start to build my restoration skills and tools with the tailgate.

He had the gate in the garage and it's still the original colour. Pretty excited to clean this up and mount it on the garage wall.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2015, 11:38 PM   #69
Shugalou

OK it's been a while since I've provided an update. I decided to put the purchase of the truck on hold (maybe down the road) and instead purchased something more my style and the same year as my old mans. I picked up a 78 step side short box, this fits in my garage. I have been staying in contact with the owner and eventually I will try to swap some parts over to this.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #70
bohmankid

That sounds like a good choice. I would be very happy to have my dad's tailgate hanging up and getting a different, better condition truck. It is only a truck after all and that tailgate will serve you with memories nonetheless.
bohmankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:07 PM   #71
Shugalou

Thanks Kid!

Yeah it was an amazing ride finding the truck. I even heard it fired up and aimed it back in the car port - they had pulled it out for me to see.

I still have to mount that gate up on the wall...I've been too busy working on my truck but I think I'll take a break very soon and get this gate mounted up.

Newspaper Article Publishing the quest find my dad's old truck
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12494281/
Old 09-14-2015, 04:13 PM   #72
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shugalou View Post
Thanks Kid!

Yeah it was an amazing ride finding the truck. I even heard it fired up and aimed it back in the car port - they had pulled it out for me to see.

I still have to mount that gate up on the wall...I've been too busy working on my truck but I think I'll take a break very soon and get this gate mounted up.
cool,always nice finding understanding people eh.
some make seats out of them
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #73
Shugalou

Yes for sure - I gotta get my truck on the road so I can bring it over and pay the guy a visit.

I've seen the benches and work benches pretty cool but I don't have the space...so I plan to mount it to the wall, build a wood frame around it and mount some lights in the frame so it becomes a shrine

Old 09-20-2015, 02:32 AM   #74
Hankster

I have been off this site for so long.. glad you found it!

'86 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe - Gen V 454 - 4l80e - welded 12 bolt
(Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611611 ) SOLD
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #75
Shugalou

Thanks same here. It was something that was in the back of mind for 8 years and now I have satisfied my curiosity.